Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Batman tv series?? Anybody know anything??

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry...I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I'm new and naieve...Anybody heard any plans for a release of the 60's tv show ??any info would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-29-03, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't heard squat about this but it's definitely a series i'd like to have.
Old 09-29-03, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking if anything, it'll be used to hype the upcoming Batman movie before it's released and I doubt even that, as WB has said they are holding Burton's Batman (1989) SE back for that purpose.
Old 09-29-03, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
The guys over at HTF say that they asked sopmeone at Fox and there are too many unresolved issues so don't look for it anytime soon.
Old 09-29-03, 07:24 AM

I can't imagine the powers that be will let a prime opportunity to hype a DVD release of the show go by when the new Batman film opens. I'd be willing to bet that we see DVD sets of this around the time of the new Batman movie, which I believe is planned for 2005. Packaged and marketed correctly, this could be a huge seller.

Also, keep in mind that no episodes of the series have ever been released, even on video tape, so a campaign of "first time on video" claims can be made.

Rumor has it that the 90s animated show will be released in season sets next year. Although different in tone, that could also gauge interest in things Batman on DVD.

I really hope it (the 60s show on DVD) happens soon.
Old 09-29-03, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by dvd-4-life
The guys over at HTF say that they asked sopmeone at Fox and there are too many unresolved issues so don't look for it anytime soon.
This is correct. It's something they would like to release, but apparently, there are lots of rights issues or other legalities to negotiate, so it quite possibly will happen....just not any time soon.
Old 09-29-03, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by mrcoaster
This is correct. It's something they would like to release, but apparently, there are lots of rights issues or other legalities to negotiate, so it quite possibly will happen....just not any time soon.
Long story made short: 20th Century Fox produced the TV show, and therefore, were the ones who later sold it in TV syndication.

The reason Warners didn't own the production rights was because at the time the show was made (1960s), DC Comics (then National Periodicals) was NOT a Warner Company (WB bought them around 1976). After '76, Warners became the owners of DC Comics and thus, the Batman character.

The legal problems are simply between Fox and WB: Fox (presumably) owns the "show", but WB owns the "character". To get this to home video/DVD, some sort of compromise will have to be made.
Old 09-29-03, 05:55 PM

Being that the movie version which was released on DVD flopped and can now be purchased for 6 bucks in walmart..
I wouldnt hold my breath for the shows to be released..
Id love to see all of the episodes on dvd and Id buy em all..
But I dont think it will happen..

just my 2 cents..
Old 09-29-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Being that the movie version which was released on DVD flopped and can now be purchased for 6 bucks in walmart..
The movie version was a budget title from the very start and from what I've heard Fox considered it quite successful.
Old 09-29-03, 08:04 PM

This WILL come to DVD once the rights issues get worked out. Fox has made it very clear how much they want this released.

I would expect that once the next Batman movie is ready for release that Fox and Warner will somehow make things work.

I agree with Dan. The movie DVD was a success.
Old 09-29-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i paid like 19 bucks for it the day it came out...and i dont regret it...one of the smarter purchases ive made...the commentary rules...anybody read burt wards autobiography, 'my life in tights'...its basicly all sex stories...and how about the tv movie 'return to the batcave'???..i taped it early this year and just found it again...what a treat!!
Old 09-29-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

god, im lame
Old 09-30-03, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by freshticles
i paid like 19 bucks for it the day it came out...
ouch.

Originally posted by freshticles
god, im lame
double ouch. it's not against forum rules to make a personal attact on yourself, is it? if not, i'm lame as well.

K
Old 09-30-03, 06:10 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Columbia House is releasing the animated series on DVD also. So far I have 5 DVD's with like 6 episodes each on them. So if you are in dire need of the animated series. I probably would not wait on warner since Columbia House has the rights to them, and they are pumping them out fast.
Old 09-30-03, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by Romero
Columbia House is releasing the animated series on DVD also. So far I have 5 DVD's with like 6 episodes each on them. So if you are in dire need of the animated series. I probably would not wait on warner since Columbia House has the rights to them, and they are pumping them out fast.
Only problem with Columbia House's collections (apart from the high prices) is that they typically only release ten volumes of anything to start with. After that, they send you a note saying you've bought the last volume and you'll be informed when/if more become available.

If enough people bought the first 10 volumes, then they'll release another five. Then you get another note, and the cycle repeats itself.

I went through this in the past with Space: 1999 (which didn't get a renewal) and most recently with Carol Burnett Show, which got only two five-volume extensions (and it was probably 5-6 months between the release of the 15th volume and the offering of volume 16).

You may think they're pumpin' them out fast now, but just wait.
Old 09-30-03, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by mythmaker18
Only problem with Columbia House's collections (apart from the high prices) is that they typically only release ten volumes of anything to start with. After that, they send you a note saying you've bought the last volume and you'll be informed when/if more become available.

If enough people bought the first 10 volumes, then they'll release another five. Then you get another note, and the cycle repeats itself.

I went through this in the past with Space: 1999 (which didn't get a renewal) and most recently with Carol Burnett Show, which got only two five-volume extensions (and it was probably 5-6 months between the release of the 15th volume and the offering of volume 16).

You may think they're pumpin' them out fast now, but just wait.
What a way to ruin a day for someone. I think you just ruined mine.
Old 09-30-03, 02:23 PM

There have been indications on TheDigitalBits and TVShowsonDVD.com that the Animated Series would be sold in season/box sets in 2004. Warners said as much in a recent online chat.

Warner and Fox will eventually come to an agreement over the 1966 TV show. I bet it happens to capitalize on the new movie, which is rumored for July 4 weekend in 2005 -- up against the new Indiana Jones.
Old 09-30-03, 03:09 PM

There is no way I would put up a Batman movie against Indiana Jones. Especially with the track record of the past Batman movies.
Old 10-13-03, 07:02 PM

Reasons why you will probably never see this show on DVD.

1) The aforementioned Fox/Warner thingie.
2) Warners is embarrassed by the show and want to bury it like Paramount does with the Trek animated series.
3) The rights are even more convoluted than Fox/Warner. Every major player that worked on the show claim ownership to their role on the show. The costume designer claims royalties for the use of the costume designs (Thats why they were altered slightly in the made for TV movie). Same thing goes for the car, etc. Franklin mint ( I think) had signed a licensing deal (with Warner) to produce the Batmobile form the series and even got as far as production when they were threatened with a lawsuit (by someone who claimed ownership of the design) so the expensive project had to be scrapped.

If they ever do get everything worked out the stars will probably be a faint memory.
Old 10-13-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Why can't they release it in R2 or R4???
Old 10-13-03, 09:14 PM

I would love to get Season 1, which concentrated on the Joker, Riddler, Catwoman + Penguin.

2 and 3 got stupid with all the criminal guest stars.
Old 10-14-03, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by dvd-4-life
Why can't they release it in R2 or R4???
For all the same reasons. Releasing in another region wouldn't make the rights issues just go away!