Irreversible DVD Canada Extras!!!!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-03, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This one must have slipped under the radar. I just came back from Futureshop and purchased Irreversible released by Alliance. Listed as extras are:

"Intoxication" - a short film by Gaspar Noe
Documentray about special effects
Deleted Scene
Audio Commentary by Gaspar Noe

Does anyone think that I can still return my old Lions Gate copy to Best Buy and complain about the missing special features. Also, does anyone have this yet. I want to make sure the features are really on there before I open it.
Old 09-27-03, 09:18 PM
Suspended

There's already a thread about this around here somewhere. The word is that the only english subtitles are the close-captions for the hearing impaired.
Old 09-27-03, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, but the commentary is subbed in english as well. Check out the review here:
http://www.dvdcollectorshaven.ca/RegReview.asp?ID=741
Old 09-27-03, 09:57 PM

Is there anywhere reliable to order this? In the states, that is, and at a decent price?
Old 09-27-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Released September 23:

Last edited by inri222; 09-27-03 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-28-03, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
How much is this at Futureshop? I saw it at Costco today for about 24.00 CDN. (I was surprised to see it finally out in Canada, especially at that store). I know that the review mentioned above says that the commentary has subs, but I took a quick glance at the back of the case, and I'm pretty sure that it mentioned that the commentary was French only with no subs (I hope I'm wrong about that though!). Anybody know the video quality compared to the US release (we all know about Alliance's track record )
Old 09-28-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
http://www.toldyouso.net/search/quic...e=Irreversible

Irreversible

Studio: Alliance Atlantis
Theatre Release: 2002
DVD Release Date: September 23, 2003

Directed by:
Gaspar Noe
Cast: Monica Bellucci, Vincent Cassel, Albert Dupontel, Jo Prestia, Philippe Nahon, Stephane Drouot

Comment
Edition Summary: Catalogue # 4896 – 95 minutes - colour - 16 Chapters (motion) Widescreen (2.35:1) Anamorphic - Dual Layer - Features: Theatrical trailer and 6 Teasers for “Irreversible” – Audio Commentary by Director Gaspar Noe, Short Film: “Intoxication” (5:01), Deleted Scene: (0:37) (2.35:1 Anamorphic), Featurette: “SFX” (7:11), Music: “Stress” (4:24), Music: “Outrage” (4:18), Languages: French Dolby 5.1, Subtitles: English and French. Amaray Keep Case Packaging. (Film Rating: Cdn: R, US: NR)
Old 09-28-03, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

cultshock:

look at the review (link provided by dullboy)....the quality does not seem so good (suggested PAL "ghosting" issues)....

...I believe that what you're pointing at (Alliance's past track record) could be the case with this "version" as well.

I would still go with either the British disc (obviously no PAL/NTSC issues) besides the lack of extras as the quality is superb, OR the Dutch verison for the DTS track if you're fine with French only, or the R1 version which aside from the missing extras has a rather decent picture quality.

(well, if you do not need English subs, which I assume you do then the French version is the one to obtain).
Old 09-28-03, 09:41 AM

Finally broke down and opened this. I paid $26.99 CDN at Futureshop plus the 10% off for customer appreciation weekend. Yes the extras are there. Unfortunately, the short film has no English subs. The English subs themselves are for closed captioning which makes them a little distracting. As for the transfer, I have no idea if it's the same. If someone has any info on this please let us know.
Old 09-28-03, 10:35 AM

The English subs themselves are for closed captioning

What do you mean by that? they are descriptive subs?

Hey I orded this a while ago, and it was cheap at dvdsoon. not sure how much it is now, but it was cheaper than that.

Hope its a good film, just got thru the Korean version of Malena, very good film, and dvd. with excellent packaging too.
Old 09-28-03, 11:56 AM

Yes, the subs are descriptive: [sirens blowing], [moaning], etc. It's quite distracting while you're watching the movie.
Old 09-28-03, 12:32 PM

Well I suppose it at least has subs, it could be worse. I hope they are not that bad, as I cannot remember any of my films having subs like that, and I buy from any country and have had to cope with all sorts of strange subtitles.

Its just a pity the French dont put subs on all there dvds. they really get on my nerves. as they easily produce some of the worlds best dvds.
Old 09-28-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you are a fan of the film, it just looks like one of those "multiple buy" scenarios to get all that you want. I got the Tartan release because it was the first out with english subs. I picked up the Lions Gate release because it has spanish subs for all my spanish speaking relatives. Now I ordered this canadian release because it has the commentary subbed in english. It's a shame there can't be just one best release for all languages out there.
Old 09-28-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Thanks for all the info, guys. Luckily I've found a place that I can rent the Alliance version pretty inexpensively. I'll give it a rent to see how good or bad the DVD looks and then decide. (before, I was leaning toward the UK edition, but the Canadian one is easier and cheaper for me to get), Having only closed captioning instead of actual subs does seem incredibly dumb though. Once again, Alliance does something half-assed.
Old 09-28-03, 01:25 PM

To be honest, I cannot stand the new subs. If anyone is interested I will sell this for $23.00 US shipped. I just purchased it last night and it is in mint condition. Mods, if you feel this isn't the right outlet for this post, please feel free to delete it.

[email protected]
Old 09-28-03, 06:41 PM

What a bummer ... maybe Lion's Gate will do a special edition down the road
Old 09-28-03, 11:29 PM

just to clarify...

Originally posted by greekboy
Finally broke down and opened this. I paid $26.99 CDN at Futureshop plus the 10% off for customer appreciation weekend. Yes the extras are there. Unfortunately, the short film has no English subs. The English subs themselves are for closed captioning which makes them a little distracting. As for the transfer, I have no idea if it's the same. If someone has any info on this please let us know.
So, does the Canadian DVD of the film supply English subtitles for the director's commentary? I just want to be sure of the answer to this question before I decide whether to buy this particular release of the film or not. If the Canadian DVD does have English subtitles for the commentary, how are they in terms of quality? Thanks in advance for your response.
Old 09-29-03, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Click on the link to the review up above a few posts back. It does sub the commentary in english.
Old 09-29-03, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by dullboy
Click on the link to the review up above a few posts back. It does sub the commentary in english.
Thanks dullboy, but I have already visited that link. I know that the review in question lists the extras contained on the disc in the left-hand column of the webpage. And yes, this list does include the commentary with English subtitles. However, I am still skeptical. Since the reviewer does not mention any of the extras in his actual review, he may simply be listing the extras in the left-hand column of the webpage that are mentioned on the back of the keepcase. Therefore, he may not have verified whether or not the commentary track does in fact feature English subtitles. This is why I was asking greekboy whether or not the commentary track features English subtitles, since he can actually check the disc because he owns it. I know that I am being extremely anal in not believing the aforementioned review, but I do not want to purchase another release of this film unless I know for sure that it has the commentary with English subtitles. Perhaps when you receive your copy in the mail, you can let me know for sure whether the commentary does feature English subtitles or not. By the way, from which website did you purchase your copy? I am looking for a good website from which to order the DVD.
Old 09-29-03, 12:55 AM

Sorry.:(

dullboy, please disregard my last post; I am a complete ass. I did not realize that the reviewer separated his "film review" from his "dvd review." Sorry. It is late and the dvd review link completely eluded me until just moments ago. At least now I can be happy though. Commentary with English subtitles coming at me! Good stuff.
Old 09-29-03, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts
The special effects featurette is quietly being added to the American release, and Lion's Gate will replave your old copy. I believe if you contact Lion's Gate (possibly through the website) they can give you the details. A friend of mine has been in contact, so I know that this is in the works, -I just don't have the info in front of me...
Old 09-29-03, 02:37 AM
Suspended

The featurette is also available for download from their website.
Old 09-29-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by SpinnerX
The featurette is also available for download from their website.
Thanks for the heads up, I am DLing it now

I really don't feel like double dipping on this movie (I bought the UK disc when it was released), but I might go for the Canadian just for the commentary.
Old 09-29-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Sorry.:(

Originally posted by hulka
dullboy, please disregard my last post; I am a complete ass.
No problem. I ordered mine from dvdsoon.com, but I don't expect it anytime "soon" since the site says it's on order (2 to 3 weeks). I can wait. It was pretty cheap....less than 20 american dollars.
Old 09-29-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you watch the subtitled director's commentary, can you still the the movie's subtitles, or do you have to choose between the two?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.