Got the Scarface box set yesterday - impressions on the whole thing within

Community
Search

Got the Scarface box set yesterday - impressions on the whole thing within

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
imagine how disapointed the rap wannabees are gonna be when they hear new wave music and an actuall score instead of rap music during the flick.
Old 09-30-03, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just picked it up and threw it in. Transfer looks good, pretty much what I expected.

Either way, it feels great to FINALLY see it on my DVD rack.

Oh, and VERY cool menus also! Diggin them.

Last edited by PJsig08; 09-30-03 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-30-03, 04:45 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
In the history of DVD, this may be the first title I've purchased with full knowledge of a special boxed set version, yet just settled for the standard release anyway. Sure, I've purchased many titles (SUPERMAN, 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, etc.) that came out with a big collector's boxed set after the fact, and in at least one case (PULP FICTION), I was not aware of the collector's boxed set version when I purchased the standard release, but with SCARFACE, I knew the deal up front, and still chose to pass on the box. This is unprecedented for me--I'm a studio's wet dream when it comes to always shelling out the $ for the biggest, baddest version available, but today, I discovered my limit: a $29 difference (I price-matched Cirtcuit City) between the standard release and the boxed set--for what?! A goofy money clip (thanks Universal, I can enjoy Tony Montana without actually wanting to be the punk), a handful of slick--but not $29 slick--lobby cards, and a DVD of the original, "sorry, I'm sure it was great for it's time, but frankly, I found it to be weak and bland" version of the story? No thanks--if you'd thrown in a screenplay, or one-sheet reprint, or exclusive bonus DVD of more "making of" material, or even a Senitype film cel, I'd have made the plunge, but as it is, this boxed set defines uninspired marketing to me. All told, it's no biggie--the fact that I have both the original DVD release of this film (with the trailers, oh thank heavens!) and the Anniversary Edition, I feel like I managed to have the biggest, baddest version anyway...
Old 09-30-03, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Steps
Check the 'Bargains" section.

Coconuts (weekly) flyer has the gift set for $49.99 with a $20 rebate. At $29.99 it's hard to pass up.
Only problem with this is I don't want mutilate my DVD case.
Old 09-30-03, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Filmmaker
In the history of DVD, this may be the first title I've purchased with full knowledge of a special boxed set version, yet just settled for the standard release anyway. Sure, I've purchased many titles (SUPERMAN, 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, etc.) that came out with a big collector's boxed set after the fact, and in at least one case (PULP FICTION), I was not aware of the collector's boxed set version when I purchased the standard release, but with SCARFACE, I knew the deal up front, and still chose to pass on the box. This is unprecedented for me--I'm a studio's wet dream when it comes to always shelling out the $ for the biggest, baddest version available, but today, I discovered my limit: a $29 difference (I price-matched Cirtcuit City) between the standard release and the boxed set--for what?! A goofy money clip (thanks Universal, I can enjoy Tony Montana without actually wanting to be the punk), a handful of slick--but not $29 slick--lobby cards, and a DVD of the original, "sorry, I'm sure it was great for it's time, but frankly, I found it to be weak and bland" version of the story? No thanks--if you'd thrown in a screenplay, or one-sheet reprint, or exclusive bonus DVD of more "making of" material, or even a Senitype film cel, I'd have made the plunge, but as it is, this boxed set defines uninspired marketing to me. All told, it's no biggie--the fact that I have both the original DVD release of this film (with the trailers, oh thank heavens!) and the Anniversary Edition, I feel like I managed to have the biggest, baddest version anyway...
Good for you. I felt the same way and am quite happy with my two disc set. With the money left over I got Fear and Loathing Criterion. Thats better than a money clip, cards, and a movie i dont really want.
Old 09-30-03, 09:39 PM

Good for you! More copies for the rest of us.
Old 09-30-03, 09:42 PM

If I can get it at Strawberries or FYE for the 49.99-20.00, then I'll buy the gift set. Other wise, regular version is all I'll get.
Old 10-01-03, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by agent2099
Only problem with this is I don't want mutilate my DVD case.
Actually the UPC you need to cut out is on the paper on the back of the box. You do not need to cut the box
Old 10-01-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Question about the Documentary

Is the doc completely new or is it just the old one broken up?

Some of those interviews - like Pacino's look very recent...
Old 10-01-03, 11:33 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

With a name like Filmmaker, I'm surprised you couldn't appreciate THE ORIGINAL 1932 Release of SCARFACE

You call it bland but you need to take the time period in which the film was made into perspective. Your not going to find too many "R" rated films, let alone films with chainsaw weilding drug dealers in them, during the 1930's.

IMO, it's one of the best Gangster films. Paul Muni's performance is fantastic. While they are totally different films, you can see a lot of similarities / scenes / themes borrowed from the 1932 version.

This was the only reason I purchased the box set. Perhaps I could have waited for Universal to release it seperately, but I wanted it now.

Unispired marketing? I would tend to agree, but in my case, it was smart marketing on their part. I had to buy a bunch of junk to get one of my all time favorites. Those marketing bastards!!!

Last edited by dgc; 10-01-03 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-01-03, 01:58 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
dgc, I'm not bagging on the film--I did note it may have been the bee's knees when it was originally released--it's just that, in my never humble opinion, it doesn't stand the test of time. I found myself chuckling throughout when I saw it a few years ago, and I couldn't derive a trace of tension out of the entire film, not even when Muni was hurtling wheelchair users down staircases. It's all subjective, of course, but it doesn't have what, say, a WIZARD OF OZ, a METROPOLIS, a virtually-any-given-Hitchcock-film has...continued relevance and impact, even for modern audiences. You note the intriguing similarities between the original and the 1983 remake, but they only serve to show me the enormity of the remake's script, performance and production design improvements over the original. I'm really happy that you're happy with your purchase--drinks all around!--but again, for me, it was part of a stunningly unimpressive incentive on Universal's part for me to shell out nearly $30 more than for the 1983 stand-alone disc. My comments are not meant to disparage those who find worth in the boxed set, but merely to opine that I hope future boxed set releases from this studio and others try to up the ante, 'cause if you can't get a total marketing whore's (like me) money, you must be doing something wrong...
Old 10-01-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rule of thumb here is your not aloud to not like an old movie or like a new one more than an old one.
Old 10-01-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't believe all the DVD reviewers are not reviewing Scarface. I mean even for the 2-disc Pachino version there are only TWO reviews out there!
Old 10-01-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the sound is awful on this DVD. They give it the full 5.1 DD and DTS treatment and yet I've never bought a disc that was this quiet (except the old Scarface DVD). I needed to almost double my normal volume setting to get a comfortable volume. Even with 5.1 channels it sounded strikingly similar to the stereo mix on the old collectors edition. Hardly any activity from the back, muted dialog....I know its not Saving Private Ryan, but at least they could have kicked it up a notch.
Old 10-01-03, 10:12 PM

I agree with Filmmaker. It's very rare that I'd pass on a box set - especially when it's a film I love - and I'm a big fan of DePalma's Scarface. Bought the first version in '98, and dropped $16 yesterday on the re-issue at Circuit City. I am not a fan of the 1932 original and didn't need reprinted lobby cards or a money clip. The extra $30 I would have dropped on a box set was well spent on other discs - The Man Who Laughs, The Kids Are Alright and Dreamcatcher.
Old 10-02-03, 12:02 AM
Banned

kewl
Old 10-02-03, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got mine yesterday...the box is DAMN cool. I have still yet to watch it, since I am i the processing of moving. But it's DAMN cool.....and for only $28 for the box set...it could not be beat. I'll spend the extra $13 for all the extra stuff!
Old 10-02-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love the box, but it's too big for my shelves. I just took the dvd's out and put them with my original copy of Scarface.

Picked mine up at FYE for $49.99 and already sent in for the $20 rebate. Also, I got a free Scarface theatrical poster when I bought it--not too shabby IMO. If I can frame it I will put it on the wall with my other posters.
Old 10-02-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn I want mine to get here from AMAZON. I havent even seen the Boxset anywhere yet (seen only pics here). Stupid Amazon Free Shipping taking forever
Old 10-02-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well I picked mine up the second Best Buy openned but I just had the chance to finish watching both films. I love this set. I love that little money clip. I love the cards that came with it. And I love how the Al Pacino version sits in the red cloth. Gives it that special treatment that it deserves. And underneath, the 1932 version, great setup there for this. And it's cool that the 1932 version was included with and only with this set. I love old films and I love old black and white shows, and I for the first time seeing the original scarface, really have to say I liked it. It was like the newer scarface, just back about 70 years, heh. And it was shorter and more to the point, which gave it that entertaining old fashioned 'fun' movie kind of feel. Thumbs up.
Old 10-02-03, 12:11 PM

Does anyone out here know how many of these Scarface Deluxe Box sets were actually pressed? I'm kind of surprised that these weren't a numbered limited edition?

Someone on Ebay has an auction for this and says only 2000 were made, and they are ALL sold out? I'm having a little hard time believing that one though? Although they are scarce even around here, in the Boston area.

I just basically would like to know if anyone knows if this was how many were made?
Old 10-02-03, 02:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Giallofan:
Someone on Ebay has an auction for this and says only 2000 were made

I haven't heard anything of the sort, but if it's true, then the Best Buy in Tulsa, OK must have half of 'em...
Old 10-02-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got mine from Amazon yesterday. It's sitting there on the top shelf of my dvd collection. It's still in it's package. I haven't opened it yet. It's beconing me to open her. I will this friday night. It's too beautiful to open.
Old 10-02-03, 08:01 PM

Possible disc error?

Just watched the GIFT SET version of Scarface (83), and right after Tony
is shot to death

the disc pauses, skips for a few seconds, then a blue screen saying "disc error" came on the TV. I removed the disc, checked it over, looked fine, put it back in, skipped to chapter 35, and it worked. Could this be a future problem? Any one else have this error?
Old 10-02-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
My disc played fine.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.