Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Ever hold off on buying a DVD because of the Studio releasing it?

Old 09-21-03, 09:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I haven't bought an MGM or Artisan DVD on release day in months. I know these companies drop the prices on their movies so quickly. I guess that is a good thing but I was getting so frustrated when I used to buy movies at full price and then see them for $9 a few weeks later.
Old 09-21-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Nope. I'll buy whatever dvd i feel like watching or have really wanted. You give a valid reason though. I was expecting a post about "oh i don't buy universal because they made me double dip" or something
Old 09-21-03, 09:32 PM

Two Words: New Yorker.
Old 09-21-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fox Lorber
Manga anime, in general
Dimension or Miramax martial arts movies
Old 09-21-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I do tend to be more picky when it comes to buying new movies now simply because the prices drop so fast these days. Unless it's something I really want immediately, I'll hold off for a price drop or at least until Columbia House has it as an enrollment.

If I don't buy a new release in the first week, chances are, I won't be buying it for a few months.
Old 09-21-03, 10:27 PM
Cool New Member

Paramount, Universal....you see I'm in Canada and some of the studios release their dvd's with some of the most godawful bilingual artwork that you could imagine! Most of the time you can't read the spines of the movies due to the type being so small so that they can fit both the English and French on it.

It's very aggravating so I usually end up buying a version out of the US off of ebay.

The last Paramount movie I bought in Canada was Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Directors Edition) because I really wanted that one. I'm going to replace the cover at some point though. I haven't got any of the other Star Trek movies though because Paramount hasn't bothered doing 'Directors Editions' of any of them other than the first two. Shatner even wanted to go back and try to fix some of 'The Final Frontier' but they turned him down. I'm not putting anymore money into their pockets with this franchise until they start treating it with a little bit more respect.

The last Universal dvd I bought was the 'Slap Shot' box set. The box itself is in English only but the dvd's are bilingual. The box was packaged in a way that you couldn't see the dvd's inside only the outside of the box (the dvd's were put in reversed). I was quite p!ssed when I found the terrible looking dvd's inside. I ended up contacting Universal Canada and eventually Universal in the US...they refused to send my English only covers. I told them I would not be buying anymore of their product...they didn't care. I hope they get sold soon and I hear of a large staff turnover...then I might consider buying their dvd's again...but not until then.

Some studios release their dvd's with English on one side of the packaging and French on the flipside...so you can choose one or the other. Sorta makes sense, don't you think? I don't want to have to put up with these idgits who nickel and dime everything so they only have to print one side in both languages. It's not even every dvd that has to have both languages printed...only those that have a French language track on it! Argh.

Ok, rant over.
Old 09-21-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just Criterions... and that's a matter of budget...
Old 09-21-03, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by WillieTheShakes
Ditto. I'd like to have a decent quality version of Seven Samurai but the Criterion sets me back too much
Old 09-22-03, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't go out of my way to buy Disney DVD's. I have a strong distain for the company, so I hate giving them my money.

I'm not saying I don't buy any, but it does come into my mind. It's tough because Disney means Miramax, Touchstone, Hollywood, Dimension, etc.

And I know they all come from the same place to an extent, but I'm much tougher on the ones that actually say Disney on them, I think I only have 3 "Disney DVD" titles (Tron, The Rookie, Schoolhouse Rock!)

Then again maybe there just aren't very many "Disney DVD's" that I actually want...
Old 09-22-03, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no....not really.
Old 09-22-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No. What are you going to do wait for the movie to be sold to another studio of your liking before getting it on DVD?
Old 09-22-03, 10:06 AM

I won't buy anything from Artisan or Media Blasters until I read a few reviews first. I've gotten to the point where I just don't trust either company to put out a quality product.
Old 09-22-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pacific Family Entertainment
Old 09-22-03, 12:34 PM

Tri-Star Columbia, cause they always re-release
Universal, quality is not always great
Lions Gate, lack of extras and terrible tranfers
Old 09-22-03, 01:17 PM
Wag

In general, no.

But specifically, I have been holding off on the Scarface Deluxe Gift Set because Universal is releasing it. I will buy it after it is released. But I want to make sure none of the problems they have been experiencing with high profile releases are present in this one.
Old 09-22-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Artisan....I do not support pan/scan transfers...

StrandReleasing....same issue....some very good foreign titles..yet everything comes in full screen. No money from me that's for sure.

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 09-22-03 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-22-03, 01:30 PM

No... sometimes I may groan (IE if Paramount is releasing a catalog title) but if I really want the movie I'll buy it regardless.
Old 09-22-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it's less to do with the studio and more to do with the disc. Just because Miramax chops up Iron Monkey doesn't mean I won't buy other Miramax discs. I'll just get my chopsocky from elsewhere.
Old 09-22-03, 07:58 PM

columbia, because we all know they will re-release them as superbit.
Old 09-22-03, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by smoke67
Paramount, Universal....you see I'm in Canada and some of the studios release their dvd's with some of the most godawful bilingual artwork that you could imagine! Most of the time you can't read the spines of the movies due to the type being so small so that they can fit both the English and French on it.

It's very aggravating so I usually end up buying a version out of the US off of ebay.

The last Paramount movie I bought in Canada was Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Directors Edition) because I really wanted that one. I'm going to replace the cover at some point though. I haven't got any of the other Star Trek movies though because Paramount hasn't bothered doing 'Directors Editions' of any of them other than the first two. Shatner even wanted to go back and try to fix some of 'The Final Frontier' but they turned him down. I'm not putting anymore money into their pockets with this franchise until they start treating it with a little bit more respect.

The last Universal dvd I bought was the 'Slap Shot' box set. The box itself is in English only but the dvd's are bilingual. The box was packaged in a way that you couldn't see the dvd's inside only the outside of the box (the dvd's were put in reversed). I was quite p!ssed when I found the terrible looking dvd's inside. I ended up contacting Universal Canada and eventually Universal in the US...they refused to send my English only covers. I told them I would not be buying anymore of their product...they didn't care. I hope they get sold soon and I hear of a large staff turnover...then I might consider buying their dvd's again...but not until then.

Some studios release their dvd's with English on one side of the packaging and French on the flipside...so you can choose one or the other. Sorta makes sense, don't you think? I don't want to have to put up with these idgits who nickel and dime everything so they only have to print one side in both languages. It's not even every dvd that has to have both languages printed...only those that have a French language track on it! Argh.

Ok, rant over.
Same here. I do have a few bilingual covered disc's but I'm not buying anymore. I'll order them from the States instead.
Old 09-22-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by WillieTheShakes
I agree, the costs are high, so I just don't bother with them.

Also, I never heard of many of their titles anyway.
Old 09-23-03, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No..i may be weary of a studios 'track record' but that doesn't mean if they release a title i'm interested in that i'm not ever going to consider purchasing it....i'll try to find reviews and research peoples opinions off forums etc first before purchase and that applies to any studio whether they be Fox Lorber or Criterion.
Old 09-24-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes. On older public domain titles I will steer clear of any of the $6.99 releases by the budget studios like Diamond and spend he $19 for a copy from a large studio. Chances are the proper studio release is going to be leaps and bounds above the cheapies. Anyone who's contemplated the half dozen releases of Night of the Living Dead knows what I mean.
Old 09-24-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I refuse to buy an Vanguard films. I like to watch Spanish movies, but most (if not all) of Vanguards Spanish films have burned in subtitles and bad transfers.

Thus, I still haven't seen the movie "Thesis".
Old 09-24-03, 12:19 PM
3Js

Madacy. Because of generally poor transfer quality.