Community
Search

WWE: The Ultimate Ric Flair Collection 3 Disc Set -----> 11/18

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TripleH13
It now does say backorder at DDD, so I'll cancel it and buy it at Best Buy or FYE.
Good luck. Absolutely NO Best Buys within 100 miles of me have it! (they say it'll come in 11/24-12/3)

Tower has it for $34.99 (though their website has it for $10 less). Thinking about forking over the $$$ for it, as I can't wait!
Old 11-19-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Saturday Matinee has it for $26.99 and a $5 mail-in rebate.
Old 11-19-03, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know why the WCW World Title was carried by Ric to WWF? Can he do that?
Old 11-19-03, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by Damien666Omen
Anyone know why the WCW World Title was carried by Ric to WWF? Can he do that?
simple

that version of the WCW/NWA Title "Big Goldy" was legally owned by Richard Morgan Flehir (Ric Flair) and still is
Old 11-19-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by El Talon Del Monstruo
simple

that version of the WCW/NWA Title "Big Goldy" was legally owned by Richard Morgan Flehir (Ric Flair) and still is
I don't think so. He didn't own it.

The NWA had a stipulation that if you are the world champion, you have to post a $25,000 deposit on the belt in order to prevent the champion from doing any doublecrosses to keep the belt.

Ric had so much money, he just walked off with the belt and went to the WWF. (I may have heard that Vince paid Ric back the $25,000 he lost).

This is exactly what Vince was trying to prevent Bret Hart from possibly doing when he did the Montreal Screwjob.

Still can't find this DVD in stores for less than $34.99! What gives?
Old 11-19-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Flair didn't walk with the belt, he wanted to be paid after Jim Herd kind of screwed him on some other things. Herd told Flair to pound salt, so Ric went with the belt to the WWF. He eventually did sell it back, and it became the WCW International title, which was unified in 1994 in a match with Sting.

I saw all of this on the disc last night
Old 11-19-03, 02:06 PM

I've actually watched the entire thing, and about the belt being carried over here is what happened.

Yes, every person who has had that belt has had to put down a $25,000 safety deposit. When you drop the belt to someone, you get the money back plus interest. When Flair last had the belt, he was going through a contract dispute. His contract was about to expire and they were telling him they were going to change his persona. He was gonna cut his hair, get an ear ring, that sort of thing. He said no problem, but lets do it after the contract negotiations. They told him to just forget about it then.

About two weeks later, they called him and told him he was going to drop the belt to Luger at the next PPV. He said no problem. The next day they asked if he wouldn't mind dropping it to Windham that weekend in NC. Again he said no problem. He packed his bags and was almost out the door when they called back and told him they didn't want him. Again, no problem he said.

The next day, they called him up and said someone was on the way to collect the belt. Flair asked him if the guy had $25,000 plus interest on him for the belt. They told him no. He said the only way he was giving the belt back is if they gave him $25,000 plus interest, just like they were supposed to. They told him to stick it up his ass and that he could keep the belt. Flair then called Vince to ask was it cool to bring the belt with him. Vince gave an enthusiastic, "Yes!" The rest is history.
Old 11-19-03, 06:32 PM

I know WCW ended up suing the WWF for using the belt. During that time the WWF actually digitalized the belt when Flair would bring it out believe it or not. Their storyline excuse was the belt wasn't recognized in the WWF.
Old 11-19-03, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can someone explain the Montrial Bret Heart Screwjob that everyone mentions once in a while. i know like the refs didn't count a 3 to Bret at a ppv.
Old 11-19-03, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by CaseyB
I know WCW ended up suing the WWF for using the belt. During that time the WWF actually digitalized the belt when Flair would bring it out believe it or not. Their storyline excuse was the belt wasn't recognized in the WWF.
They distorted the belt b/c it wasn't the NWA/WCW belt being used, it was the WWF Tag Title in its place. I believe thats when WWF couldn't use the NWA/WCW belt (I forget the actual reason, it might be either a lawsuit or b/c Flair no longer owned the title).

Last edited by JoeyOhhhh; 11-19-03 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-19-03, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Bret was promised by Vince McMahon that he wouldn't drop the title in his home country b 4 leaving for WCW.However, Vince seen otherwise instructing ref Earl Hebner to give a fast count as Shawn Michaels pinned the Hitman.I am behind McMahon all the way in this cuz its his company why let the inmates run it.He was looking out for his companies own good at the time.
Old 11-19-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dvd-4-life
However, Vince seen otherwise instructing ref Earl Hebner to give a fast count as Shawn Michaels pinned the Hitman.I am behind McMahon all the way in this cuz its his company why let the inmates run it.He was looking out for his companies own good at the time.
If your behind Vince, thats great, but first lets get the facts straight. Michaels won via "submission" to the Sharpshooter, not via pinfall. And Vince is doing a great job of not allowing the "inmates to run the asylum" isnt he?
Old 11-19-03, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by JoeyOhhhh
They distorted the belt b/c it wasn't the NWA/WCE belt being used, it was the WWF Tag Title in its place. I believe thats when WWF couldn't use the NWA/WCW belt (I forget the actual reason, it might be either a lawsuit or b/c Flair no longer owned the title).
That's right! So many years have passed and I don't have the best memory in the first place.
Old 11-19-03, 08:22 PM

That's right! So many years have passed and I don't have the best memory in the first place.
Actually, the only reason I remembered that was reading a wrestling magazine when Flair was first in WWF, and it had a shot of him with the tag team belt. I remember being quite shocked that he was carrying it.

There was a pic I found online with him and the tag title, but I couldn't for the life of me find it, otherwise I would have posted it just for the hell of it.
Old 11-19-03, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
can someone explain the Montrial Bret Heart Screwjob that everyone mentions once in a while. i know like the refs didn't count a 3 to Bret at a ppv.
It's a long complicated story and I know I'm not the right guy to tell the story but I'll try to give a synopsis. A great documentary called "Wrestling With Shadows" gives great insight on the situation at the time, unfortunately it's only on VHS right now.

At the time the WWF was losing a lot of money and Vince McMahon had given Bret Hart a 20 year contract for huge money. About a year later Vince told Bret they were losing too much money and Bret could either take a cut in the money agreed or he could negotiate with WCW again. Bret was the WWF Champion and was then negotiating with WCW again (who he had turned down a year ago to stay with the WWF). Bret reached a deal with WCW and would debut in December (I think).

At Survivor Series Vince asked Bret to drop the belt to Shawn Michaels. Bret had a "creative control" clause in his contract so he could veto ideas with in reason. Bret and Shawn hadn't gotten along in years, so Bret told Vince he had no problem dropping the title but he didn't want to lose it in Canada. Bret asked if he could just retire the belt and hand it over at Monday Night Raw, but they finally agreed to a DQ or DDQ finish.

Vince was scared to death Bret would show up the next day on WCW Monday Nitro with the belt. Some might say he had good reason because WCW brought in Madusa (who was let go by the WWF because they decided to get rid of the womens division) who was the last WWF womens champion and she threw the title in the garbage on Nitro.

Several wrestlers (Vader and Davey Boy Smith come to mind) had warned Bret about a possible double cross. Before the match Earl Hebner (who was close to Bret) swore on the life of his kids that he wouldn't double cross Bret. Meanwhile Shawn Michaels was being told to act surprised by the finish and was shown some shoot holds by Gerald Brisco in case Bret attacked him.

At the Survivor Series Vince, Brisco and Pat Patterson were all ringside. One spot was supposed to have Bret put in his own hold the sharpshooter when the ref was down. Instead of Bret having a chance to get out of the hold Earl Hebner acted as though Bret had submitted and called for the bell. Bret spat right in Vince McMahon's face as Shawn acted totally shocked and disgusted leaving the ring. In the dressing room Shawn and HHH swore they knew nothing about the double cross.

The Undertaker told Vince he better talk to Bret in the dressing room. Bret was getting dressed and told Vince to leave or he was going to punch him out a few times. Once he was dressed he punched Vince out and gave him a nasty black eye (that we'd see in a famous interview Vince did). Vince in the interview claimed Bret didn't want to do the "time honored tradition" of losing the belt on the way out so he had no choice.
Old 11-19-03, 09:27 PM

There's also a small summary of the Montreal Screwjob in Mick Foley's book.

And if you're a wrestling fan, you really should pick up that book. Great stories in there...
Old 11-19-03, 10:52 PM

It's a long complicated story and I know I'm not the right guy to tell the story but I'll try to give a synopsis. A great documentary called "Wrestling With Shadows" gives great insight on the situation at the time, unfortunately it's only on VHS right now.

At the time the WWF was losing a lot of money and Vince McMahon had given Bret Hart a 20 year contract for huge money. About a year later Vince told Bret they were losing too much money and Bret could either take a cut in the money agreed or he could negotiate with WCW again. Bret was the WWF Champion and was then negotiating with WCW again (who he had turned down a year ago to stay with the WWF). Bret reached a deal with WCW and would debut in December (I think).

At Survivor Series Vince asked Bret to drop the belt to Shawn Michaels. Bret had a "creative control" clause in his contract so he could veto ideas with in reason. Bret and Shawn hadn't gotten along in years, so Bret told Vince he had no problem dropping the title but he didn't want to lose it in Canada. Bret asked if he could just retire the belt and hand it over at Monday Night Raw, but they finally agreed to a DQ or DDQ finish.

Vince was scared to death Bret would show up the next day on WCW Monday Nitro with the belt. Some might say he had good reason because WCW brought in Madusa (who was let go by the WWF because they decided to get rid of the womens division) who was the last WWF womens champion and she threw the title in the garbage on Nitro.

Several wrestlers (Vader and Davey Boy Smith come to mind) had warned Bret about a possible double cross. Before the match Earl Hebner (who was close to Bret) swore on the life of his kids that he wouldn't double cross Bret. Meanwhile Shawn Michaels was being told to act surprised by the finish and was shown some shoot holds by Gerald Brisco in case Bret attacked him.

At the Survivor Series Vince, Brisco and Pat Patterson were all ringside. One spot was supposed to have Bret put in his own hold the sharpshooter when the ref was down. Instead of Bret having a chance to get out of the hold Earl Hebner acted as though Bret had submitted and called for the bell. Bret spat right in Vince McMahon's face as Shawn acted totally shocked and disgusted leaving the ring. In the dressing room Shawn and HHH swore they knew nothing about the double cross.

The Undertaker told Vince he better talk to Bret in the dressing room. Bret was getting dressed and told Vince to leave or he was going to punch him out a few times. Once he was dressed he punched Vince out and gave him a nasty black eye (that we'd see in a famous interview Vince did). Vince in the interview claimed Bret didn't want to do the "time honored tradition" of losing the belt on the way out so he had no choice.
good version of the story, if I may I will further elaborate on it, what happened was, Vince knew there was no way in hell that he could afford to pay out a 20 year contract to begin with. Furthermore Bret did not even finalize his contract with WCW until right around November 4th, 1997, and did not even open negotaitions with WCW until a few days prior to that, so it's not like this was set for months.

furthermore, it was agreed that the finish would be Shawn would have Bret in the Sharpshooter, and Bret would somehow reverse it, leading to Triple H & Chyna coming out and assaulting the referee & Bret Hart, leading then to Davey Boy Smith, Jim Neidhart, Doug Furnas, & Phil Lafon coming out and the whole match would be thrown out. as you can clearly see, Bret still reverses the sharpshooter as planned after the bell rings, as he is obviously unaware of what went down.

Shawn Michaels swore for years and years that he was not in on the scam, but on the first epsiode of WWE Confidental, Shawn Michaels revealed that he was in on the scam.

In addition, the whole contract situation regarding The Hart Foundation was quite confusing, Davey Boy Smith was either fired or walked out the next morning, and Jim Neidhart was mocked and embarrassed the next day on TV, and he was released. Owen Hart was the interesting case though, having just renegotiated a 4 year contract with the WWF a couple of months sooner, which would pay for his retirement was pressured by Bret & David (Smith) to quit WWF & go to WCW. Owen decided to stay loyal to Vince McMahon and sit out his contract and retire from wrestling when his contract expired in mid 2001...of course we all know what happened.

at the present time, Bret Hart is on even terms with Vince McMahon & the WWE, and has recently set up a deal with Vince McMahon where he (Bret) is allowed to use WWF Owned images featuring his likeness for promotional packages and other situations. furthermore Bret & Vince have discussed the possibility of an offical WWE "Coffee Table" book (Bret has his own selfpublished 3 volume Autobiography coming out in the next year and a half) and a DVD release to both come out in the next year
Old 11-19-03, 10:59 PM

all you'd like to know about Montreal is covered well here.......
this is the link to Hart's website and an awesome summry by Dave Meltzer

http://www.brethart.com/montreal/facts.asp

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 11-20-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like it's selling quite well. From 1wrestling.com :

WWE'S ULTIMATE RIC FLAIR DVD COLLECTION A ROARING RETAIL SUCCESS
by Mike Johnson

Updated: 11/20/2003 6:07:25 PM

If you are looking for the WWE Ultimate Ric Flair Collection DVD set and can't find it, you aren't alone.

The entire first printing run of the three volume set dedicated to the former NWA, WWF and WCW World champion has sold out in two days, making the release one of the most popular and profitable in WWE history..

"It's incredible," said one retail source. "We've sold four times more than we usually do for WWE DVDs, and this has only been out for two days."

Sony is rushing another printing out, but it won't be available for shipping until next week. If you are looking for the DVD and come across it in your local store, don't pass it up. You may not be so lucky if you go back for it later.
Old 11-21-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Questions I have for people with the set:

1) How much Horsemen material does it show?
2) Does it show Flair's return to Nitro after the lawsuit, etc. (where the Horsemen were all in suits and the crowd pop in Charlotte was one of the loudest I ever heard!) Flair had tears in his eyes.
3) Does it show any of his matches with Savage in the WWF or his promos about Liz?
4) Any of his stuff with Hogan?
5) His return to the WWE last year?

Finally

6) What is the best thing on this new DVD?
7) What is the one thing you cannot believe they didn't put on?

Thanks in advance.

View

Edited to add:

Oh yeah, anything from Arn Anderson? Interviews? Segments. etc.?
Old 11-21-03, 04:37 PM

1) How much Horsemen material does it show?

It has a segment about the Original Horsemen, with interviews with Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, and Flair
2) Does it show Flair's return to Nitro after the lawsuit, etc. (where the Horsemen were all in suits and the crowd pop in Charlotte was one of the loudest I ever heard!) Flair had tears in his eyes.
No
3) Does it show any of his matches with Savage in the WWF or his promos about Liz?
No
4) Any of his stuff with Hogan?
As far as matches go no
5) His return to the WWE last year?
Only recent thing was his match with HHH a couple months ago

Finally

6) What is the best thing on this new DVD?
7) What is the one thing you cannot believe they didn't put on?

I like all of it, although they could definitly put out another set or two to cover alot more. I would have liked to see more of his first WWF run in there, but this set mostly covers his title win from the Rumble. His return to Nitro after the lawsuit should have been in there. His fued with Vader also. More Horsemen segments could have been in there, but that would be better off with a DVD on their own.

Oh yeah, anything from Arn Anderson? Interviews? Segments. etc.?

Mentioned above, he is interviewed, so is Tully Blanchard.
Old 11-21-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Thanks Joey. Too bad his debutes and redebutes are not on there. What Hogan stuff is talked about?
Old 11-21-03, 04:48 PM

His WWWF debut is on there.

As far as Hogan, its mostly run-in stuff in matches, no segments about it.

Hogan's no longer with WWE as of late correct? I'm guessing McMahon had decided to leave that part of Flair's bio out of this set.
Old 11-21-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JoeyOhhhh

I like all of it, although they could definitly put out another set or two to cover alot more. I would have liked to see more of his first WWF run in there, but this set mostly covers his title win from the Rumble. His return to Nitro after the lawsuit should have been in there. His fued with Vader also. More Horsemen segments could have been in there, but that would be better off with a DVD on their own.

I couldn't agree more. I think the stuff with Savage and Liz was too time sensitive to Liz's passing, but with time, a year down the line, it'd stand as more of a tribute. I"m certainly hoping we get more with the red hot sales this is genearting. These kind of sets can be a great savior to the WWE who has seen business take a big dip as the big names no longer wrestle(Austin, Foley, Rock, Hogan). They cost no more than the time it takes to make them, and are great gifts to the fans(that compensate the company well so win-win).

I'd think there is enough, and hope for another 2 disc set of Flair, a 2 disc set dedicated to the Horsemen, and if we get the rumoured Wargames disc, that'd be fantastic. I gotta be honest though, I'd kill for a Flair treatment on the Dusty material. I know he's not the current legend flair is, and his matches lack the artistry of Flair's but that fat man could talk and get you ready to watch a fight. It's too much Vince has bad blood with some of these guys, because how great would 3 disc sets be of:

Piper
Savage
Steamboat
Jake Roberts

Man, I'd pay 40 bucks for each of those, if they were as comprehensive as the flair material.
Old 11-21-03, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

1) Where the **** can I buy this thing B&M?
2) Why the **** is everyone sold out?

Everyone I've talked to is like, "I can't believe it's selling this well." Idiots ... it's Flair. Just because you're too dumb to recognize him as the greatest wrestler of all time doesn't mean the rest of us are. Stock those shelves, dammit!

das

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.