Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

It's Official, Universal SUCKS (American Wedding & Seabiscuit over-priced)

Community
Search

It's Official, Universal SUCKS (American Wedding & Seabiscuit over-priced)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
What I can't understand is why they're releasing a "gift set" on January 2nd.
Old 09-20-03, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the new Babe: Special Edition comes with a list price of $19.95.. i think that's pretty damn nice. of course it's not a big 2-disc set or anything, but it's still a new release that's a vast improvement (hopefully) from the earlier release.. they could've easily had this selling for the $25-30 list prices.

another thing i always liked about Universal is that there are always english captions. since english isn't my mother tongue it's nice to know that all their releases have the option of english subtitles/captions.
Old 09-20-03, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Let's not forget that the only way to buy the Howard Hawks/
Paul Muni SCARFACE is as part of the deluxe giftset. I was all set to cave in and get it but the pictures looked so damn tacky that I decided to buy the non-deluxe edition and keep my laserdisc of the older version.
Old 09-20-03, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

To the people that say you can find them cheap on release day. I buy about 90% of my DVDs used from a video store, where they have a buy 2 get 1 free offer all the time, & the prices are usually $9.99-$14.99 making the movie around $10 or less (so $30 gets me 3 DVDs) & I live in a small town with only a Wal-Mart as an option to buy New Releases, & No I can't travel very far to get them
If Universal had released the American Pie Revealed Disc seperately then I could have probally picked it up @ Wal-Mart for a little over $10, but since Wal-Mart doesn't carry "Unrated" titles i'm left with the only option of buying the title online & most of the cheapest places only accept Credit Cards (& I am usually overlimit because of groceries, car repairs & hospital bills)
Old 09-21-03, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Universal does suck. I won't be getting the "gift" sets of American Wedding, Seabiscuit, or Scarface. The extra price that they are charging for the bonus materials, isn't worth it to me. In fact, it's come to the point that I won't even buy a Universal title until I've read a few reviews. Universal used to one of the best studios, but now they are one of the worst.
Old 09-21-03, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
How many people have EVER bought a gift set anyway?!?! I know that I never have. I'm buying DVDs for the movie, not for books, towels, collectible statuettes or anything else. Amazon.com lists 59 DVD's when I type "gift set" in their search engine. I was never even aware that most of them came as gift sets until I just did that!

Never bought one, most likely never will! How about you??
Old 09-21-03, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by danwiz
How many people have EVER bought a gift set anyway?!?!...
They're called gift sets for a reason - I'm waiting for someone to give them to me as gifts.
Old 09-21-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, that's the point. There is a disk of rather interesting extras (including the actual historical race) only available if you buy the "gift set". I think that would be a great extra but care nothing for the rest of the items in the set.
Old 09-21-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How many people have EVER bought a gift set anyway
I bought the E.T. Gift Set, because it had the extra disc and E.T. is one of the best movies of all time, so I didn't mind paying more to get more.... a very decent set. I'll probably pick up the Scarface gift set and possibly the Seabiscuit one, depends on how much they actually end up costing.

MATT