Search

Scarface: discussing the extras

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-03, 10:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scarface: discussing the extras

FYI...

Saw Scarface yesterday in the store and took a look-see at the back/extras.

There are 4 deleted scenes as the sticker on the front cover touts.

The different "making of " segments sound VERY MUCH like the 1 hour documentary that was on the other set. I dunno if it was just broken up and possibly enhanced (maybe not). I didn't see a running time on the extras but it was primarily hyping those extras on the back.

The cover is a slipcase with the amaray-style case inside.

Anyone know how this compares to the original release? how many deleted scenes were there for that one? It'd be hysterical if this is just a reissue of that one with anamorphic, dts and the rappers feature.

Another FYI...there's a new soundtrack that came out yesterday. I don't think any of the music originally recorded for the movie is on it. From what i saw it was all "music inspired by" the movie Scarface. All to coincide with this DVD release.
Old 09-17-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 1998 Scarface DVD release had more than 4 deleted scenes. Had probably double that amount, but I can check on my disc to see for sure. Some of them were very entertaining, and gave good background to some of the characters. The scenes were pretty grainy and weren't cleaned up, though.

The extras on this new disc are disappointing. First, I was hoping DePalma would do an audio commentary track, but no luck. Then Universal throws in that stupid "Def Jam presents" documentary on how Scarface has influenced rappers. Also an interview, today, with say Pacino, Loggia, Pfeifer would be great, but I don't believe anything like that will be on this disc.

Still, because of the transfer and audio, and the fact that this is one of my favorite movies, I'll pick it up.
Old 09-17-03, 12:33 PM
Banned

It does say "through interviews with DePalma, Pacino and the producer" so that's why I'm assuming they just elongated or *gasp* shortened the other documentary.

Didn't say anything about any other stars.
Old 09-17-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
Still, because of the transfer and audio, and the fact that this is one of my favorite movies, I'll pick it up.
That's all that matters. Sure, Universal screwed us over a little bit with the extras on this one (big shocker, huh?) Still, it's the movie that counts and I am thrilled that I can finally pick it up. Sure I wanted a commentary and some other cool features, but when all is said and done, you're watching the movie 90% of the time and not the extras.
Old 09-17-03, 03:38 PM

if there aren't that many extras well then so be it. I have been waiting for this dvd for to long. as tony montana said:

"I just want what's coming to me"