Buffy S5 and Firefly delayed

Old 09-10-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Buffy S5 and Firefly delayed

From The Digital Bits yesterday:

In other news, it looks like Fox is temporarily delaying the release of the next seasons of Buffy and Firefly. We'll post more details when we get them from the studio.
I hope it's not true. I was really anxious to get the next Buffy set, since I never watched it on TV. Guess, I'll have to spread out my Angel S2 viewing schedule now to fill in.
Old 09-10-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
hmm..

makes me wonder if they're delaying Firefly until the movie is released..
Old 09-10-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bummer, I hope they don't delay them too long.

Especially Buffy, since that's the one I'm interested in.

Rob
Old 09-10-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hopefully this is just a false rumor.
Old 09-10-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very dumb if they wait until after Christmas, since it seems like sets like this would be very popular Christmas presents.
Old 09-10-03, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

re

Well, for all we know this dealy could be one week, two weeks or a few months.

(I could see them waiting until Feb.)

Also, I really don't think this has anything to do with the proposed/in the works Firefly movie. My understanding of the situation is that Fox sold the rights completely to Universal, which is who the picture is in the works with. To me, this means that Fox really doesn't care about Firefly, so I don't really see them taking the time and the effort to delay it to tie in with some movie that they do not have any control over anyway.

Plus, even if that were the case, it doesn't really tell us why they would bo be delayed.
Old 09-10-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Re: re

Originally posted by Superman07
To me, this means that Fox really doesn't care about Firefly, so I don't really see them taking the time and the effort to delay it to tie in with some movie that they do not have any control over anyway.
You're right. If Universal holds the rights, it wouldn't make any sense whatsoever for FOX to ride the promotional coattails of whatever Universal plans on doing..
Old 09-10-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hopefully the delay won't be too long since I preordered Firefly when Amazon jumped the gun awhile ago. It would be unwise for them to wait until after the holidays to release it so maybe the delay is only temporary.
Old 09-10-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rogue588
If Universal holds the rights, it wouldn't make any sense whatsoever for FOX to ride the promotional coattails of whatever Universal plans on doing..
Of course it does.

If Fox releases the show now, it is just yet another DVD release... of a failed show that did poorly in the ratings no less. If Fox waits until before/during the theatrical release of the film, it becomes a major event... with built in (free) advertising.

Fox did the exact same thing with the last Hulk TV-movie... even though Universal was releasing the theatrical film. If Fox had released "The Death of the Incredible Hulk" in 2001, I doubt that sales would have even been 10% of what they were by releasing it in 2003.
Old 09-10-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

we definitely need a sarcasm smiley here

to you bboisvert
Old 09-10-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Buffy: This blows the monkey.
Old 09-10-03, 02:43 PM

No, Buffy S5 blows the monkey.
Old 09-10-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, threadcrapping blows the monkey. (What a bizarre expression)

Rob
Old 09-10-03, 03:20 PM
SeeNo Member

I hope the delay isn't very long. Buffy is one of my favorite TV shows.
Old 09-10-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can understand the delay of Firefly but don't understand why Buffy should be delayed. Very odd.
Old 09-10-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by msbailey
No, Buffy S5 blows the monkey.
Um, for the record, what I meant is that the news of the delay blows the monkey. Season 5 of Buffy is a pretty good season, IMO.

Originally posted by RobCA
No, threadcrapping blows the monkey. (What a bizarre expression)
I try. I try. My own personal comment. Several years ago, I had ten or so employees where I used to work saying it too. They started out saying, "What the hell does that mean?!?" Then they started using it too. Try using it, Rob. You'll like it.
Old 09-10-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rogue588
we definitely need a sarcasm smiley here

to you bboisvert
Wow, missed that. (Although it's painfully obvious to me on a re-read.)

Oh, well. I just *knew* I didn't drink enough coffee today.
Old 09-10-03, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

dammit, i wanted buffy season 5 asap, yea ive seen them all like 3x but i was so looking forward to having the nice box set
Old 09-10-03, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too bad. I was really looking forward to Firefly. I think Rogue588 may be right about the reason for the delay. Damn FOX.

Old 09-10-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 09-17-03, 11:06 AM

Last edited by potvin48; 09-17-03 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-17-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Amazon put Buffy S5 back up but Firefly is still listed as "not yet released, no date available"
Old 09-17-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DVDPlanet has Buffy: Season 6 (!) up for pre-order, with a 7/6/04 release date.

http://www.dvdplanet.com/product_lis...689&format=DVD

As for the extras, it looks like they listed the ones for Firefly by mistake.

BTW and FWIW, they also have Buffy: Season 5 and Firefly listed as 12/9.

Rob
Old 09-17-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good news for those of you who are wondering about the upcoming Firefly DVD Set release date. According to Mutant Enemy President Chris Buchanan, as of this morning, the release date of the Firefly DVD set is still December 9th and that FOX Home Entertainment does not anticipate any problems. "Trust me, [Fox Home Entertainment] wants to make sure the DVDs are available for holiday purchasers," wrote Buchanan in an email to FIREFLYFANS.NET. "It's pure American capitalism -- the more DVDs they sell, the more $$$ they make."

Originally priced at $37.49 on AMAZON.COM, the Firefly DVD Set was available for pre-order earlier this summer before fans of the TV series exhausted Amazon's allotted inventory in just a couple of days. At its peak the Firefly DVD Set held the #2 spot on Amazon's bestsellers list. "[Fox Home Entertainment] pushed [Mutant Enemy] and the cast of [Firefly] hard to complete production of all of the (tons of) ancillary DVD materials in time for a fall release," added Buchanan, referring to the loads of interviews and commentaries by cast members, writers, and directors--including Joss Whedon--that are on the DVDs for all episodes of Firefly, plus the three that were never aired in the US, and the hilariously funny Firefly Gag Reel.

While pre-orders are no longer accepted on AMAZON.COM, Firefly fans have been able to pre-order through other sources such as Best Buys and Barnes and Noble, but availability is sporadic at best. Please check back here on FIREFLYFANS.NET for any news of availability.
I guess we will see...
Old 09-17-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the info. B&N has this available for $40.28 if you have a readers advantage card.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.