Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

What's different about the extended Identity?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-03, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen the theatrical cut since it was in the theater, but I watched the extended version and I didn't notice anything different about it.
Old 09-04-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there is a different ending and there are like 1 or 2 scenes.
Old 09-04-03, 01:27 PM

Could you be more specific?
Old 09-04-03, 01:30 PM

It has the exact same ending as the theatrical! I swear to God it does...

Isn't the ending of the theatrical cut:

Spoiler:
Where the girl is digging in the dirt and finds the key that has #1 on it and the little kid shows up and says 'Whores don't get a second chance' and the fat guy says it as he grabs his doctor and they swerve off the road
Old 09-04-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man, I watched the DVD on extended mode and I didnt notice a damn thing different. I saw it in theatres but I just didnt see a difference unless it is very minor.
Old 09-04-03, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by DVDProfessor
It has the exact same ending as the theatrical! I swear to God it does...

Isn't the ending of the theatrical cut:

Spoiler:
Where the girl is digging in the dirt and finds the key that has #1 on it and the little kid shows up and says 'Whores don't get a second chance' and the fat guy says it as he grabs his doctor and they swerve off the road
Yep, that's how I remember it.
Old 09-04-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess it is just dialouge...??

Identity ran a brisk 90 minutes in its original theatrical form, and here is presented in an expanded version with an additional minutes - hold your breath - 50 seconds of footage. The "additional scene" and "alternate ending" feel like a cheat. The rejiggered finale is simply an omission of a piece of dialogue and the extra scene is really just an extension with, again, different dialogue. Viewers can chose between either cut, in widescreen or full frame, perhaps the perfect capper to this story was never quite figured out at the conceptual stage? - DVDfile
Old 09-04-03, 01:40 PM

So which dialogue was different?
Old 09-04-03, 01:43 PM

I think there's a few shots in the closing montage that are different, and an extended scene or two elsewhere.
Old 09-04-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the difference in the ending is
Spoiler:
that in theaters the quick cuts of the killer identity killing everyone was just the little boy. In the extended cut there are some shots where the killer is actually the boy and the fat bald guy. I assume it was to show that the boy was really Malcolm's true identity, but it was probably cut due to it being confusing to some.
Old 09-04-03, 01:54 PM

My wife and I went back and forth between the Theatrical Cut and Extended Cut last night. Here's the difference (which isn't huge but can affect your interpretation of the film a bit):

Spoiler:
In the Theatrical Cut, you see the young boy and he commits/is somehow involved in each of the other murders.

In the Extended Cut, the director inserts quick flashes of the bald-headed killer actually committing the crimes as well (he's wearing a blue flannel shirt - the flashes each last about 1 second or 2). There's a great scene of him holding a bloody knfe after stabbing one of the victims on a bed.

NOTE: To help you out, be sure to watch the Theatrical Cut with the Director's Comments "ON" - you can't hear director's comments regarding the Extended other version and why he took those few seconds out. He mentions that the other, extended ending (with the actual bald-headed killer appearing in quick flashes) was either too confusing or too obvious or something like that. He says that by inserting the bald-headed killer into the final scenes, the audience's interpretation of the movie might have been changed, and he wanted the biggest "Oh, neat!" shock to be that the characters were various fragments of the killer's imagination, and NOT that the boy was the remaining killer fragment of his mind.

I hope that helps. It's tough to explain. It took my wife and I several viewings of that last chapter to finally see the difference - you just have to watch the 2 widescreen versions of that last chapter (28 or 29 - I don't remember - the last one where Amada Peet is hanging up her laundry) back-to-back.
Old 09-04-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm, I will be checking this out again tonight. Did anyone else listen to the commentary? There was a part about 20 minutes into it or something where the director just stops talking for a minute or two and it sounded like he picked up again middle sentence... I didnt have time to go back and check it again but it just sounded weird the first time listening to it.
Old 09-09-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm watching the commentary now and noticed the same thing, Rammsteinfan. I wonder if it's some sort of defect.

In addition, I've had problems with the audio slipping out of sync on both the feature and the deleted scenes. This normally happens when I start them from the beginning of a chapter, but can be fixed by reversing play a second and hitting play.
Old 09-10-03, 09:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're watching the extended version, then there is no commentary for the additional scenes.

The only added material I noticed was:

Spoiler:
There is an extra scene in the judge's chambers when the doctor (Alfred Molina) arrives.

The extended finale is just cuts of Malcolm Rivers (Pruit Taylor Vince) committing the real world murders he was charged for, which is added to the cuts of the little boy murdering the other identities.
Old 09-10-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is also another clue to the "extension", if you watch the deleted scenes you see most if not all the "extensions" because the scenes switch between black and white and color. The switch represents what is not in the "theatrical" release.
Old 09-10-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up Davejt1, I spent a lot of time last weekend re-watching the last chapter in both versions (since I rented it) and I could not tell a bit of difference. Of course, after reading the actual box rather than the Blockbuster box, it says "Alternate ending Sequence" (as opposed to "Alternate Ending") so the ending was technically the same but just with additional cuts showing the other guys face.