Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Will the Star Wars Trilogy outsell the LOTR Trilogy?

Community
Search
View Poll Results: Which is gonna sell more?
Star Wars
65.42%
Lord of the Rings
34.58%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Will the Star Wars Trilogy outsell the LOTR Trilogy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mmm.. Qui Gon Jin..
Old 09-03-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Star Wars. Both are nerd fests, and although i'm not a huge fan (just a casual one) i think Star Wars has the edge because of its history. I'm only 20 and i grew up on star wars parodies and influences.
Old 09-04-03, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duh! The original STAR WARS series will outsell everything, period.
Old 09-04-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Star Wars, without a doubt. Although, the total disaster that is the prequel trilogy has definitely put a damper on my desire to own the original trilogy. I just find that I don't care much about Star Wars anymore. The most excited I've been about anything Star Wars related lately was for Knights of the Old Republic for XBox.
Old 09-04-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I just find that I don't care much about Star Wars anymore.
This is the same for me as well. I did vote for SW and I will definetly be buying the trilogy (original or not) when it comes to DVD.
The original triology did get me through many all-nighters during college. Coffee+Chewie+2 days straight up = One slap-happy night!
Old 09-04-03, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Will the Star Wars Trilogy outsell the LOTR Trilogy?

Originally posted by TopHatCat64
Two of the most popular franchises ever. Who's gonna sell more?
Star Wars will not even break a sweat in this race....
Old 09-04-03, 10:59 AM

When was the last time any of you watched the SW OT? It was great while nothing better was coming along, but now there are many modern movies with better acting, fighting, sfx, stories, etc. Including the Matrix and LOTR. Also there are many tv shows that meet or exceed the quality of the OT, including Babylon 5 and Farscape. I think some of you are overestimating the OT's appeal to people who have now been spoiled with better stuff or soured on the whole series after seeing the prequels.

And why is there this vast myth that Lucas will in NO WAY release the original versions of the trilogy.
Because Lucas made a big deal of saying back in the 90's when the originals were released on VHS for the last time that it would be the last time the OT would be available. Lucas wants to replace the OT with the SE's in the minds of fans. For future generations this will happen if that's all they see.
Old 09-04-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Couple mandatory comments...

Because Lucas made a big deal of saying back in the 90's when the originals were released on VHS for the last time that it would be the last time the OT would be available. Lucas wants to replace the OT with the SE's in the minds of fans. For future generations this will happen if that's all they see.
Actually, he said that he 'only sees Eps. 4-6 as the SE, now' and 'the quality of the OT is such that only the SE will make it to DVD'. (one quote means paraphrase, btw)

My vote is SW, but flip a coin, that's just a guess. All the fans fighting fans stupidity in this thread was good for a laugh, thanks! Has anybody bothered to compare current sales to get a rough idea? I wouldn't know where or I'd come up with something.

And finally:
Thank God I have the OT LDs, who needs DVDs, they'll probably suck anyway......

Last edited by Spiky; 09-04-03 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-04-03, 12:14 PM
Suspended

I would say the LOTR trilogy will outsell the SW trilogy by a mile!

REASON 1 : Lucas said that he will never release the OT SW. Not a good way to capture devoted fans who only or also wants the OT version... sales don't even come close to sales of the OT and extended cut of LOTR (a lot of double dipping).

REASON 2 : The culture of LOTR has been around longer than SW because the story of LOTR has been here much longer written in books. Don't forget Tolkien used the events of World War 2 to create his fantasy world! Very appealing to the old veterans!

REASON 3 : The LOTR trilogy has been modernized with today's special effects and so on. The recent theatre releases will capture more young people than any of the old Star Wars trilogy. As you all know younger people generally tend to spend more than old people of say (60+ years older).

So, overall, I would definitely think the LOTR trilogy will outsell the SW trilogy.
Old 09-04-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
response to reason 1: I'm sorry, but OT with or without Greedo will sell the same. the fans will complain till they are blue in the face, but they will also open their wallets the first chance they get at buying any version of star wars on dvd and then once they get home jump on some net forums and complain about it.

respond to reason 2: Yes, but the story isnt known to EVERYONE. as el said earlier. ask anyone who is luke's father and 9 out of 10 times you will hear darth. Ask who made the ring and you will get a confused look.

respond to reason 3: as hard as it is to believe, the prequels have their fans. why else would the dvd's for episode I and II sell so well if they hated it? with episode III coming in two years, it will spark interest in the franchise again. not to mention the technolgy, Lucas will have the latest special effects at his use simply because he owns the sfx leaders in the industry.

not to mention all these reasons and response mean little in the end when it comes down to the sells of the two. People have been waiting for star wars dvd's way before the masses knew LOTR ever was going to be a movie... even longer then most folks even realized it was a book (yes, amazing to believe some folks never heard of the LOTR trilogy)
Old 09-04-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../film_rings_dc

LOTR is off to a good start, is all I can say

In any case this is a thread that's only good for humor, because neither Lucas nor Jackson will be starving anytime soon.
Old 09-04-03, 05:09 PM

The third chapter of LOTR's not even out and you are predicting. All I have read about this film sounds outstanding. Thay are already talking Oscar. Let's face it chapter 3 of Star Wars was ruined by the Ewoks. The first 2 chapters were brilliant, no doubt.I for one am holding off on any predictions till I see Return of the King.
Old 09-04-03, 05:18 PM

???

Without a doubt!
I'm willing to bet it will be the top selling DVD set of all time!

assuming we ever get it...???
Old 09-04-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My vote is for LOTR, based solely on preference. They are much much much much MUCH better and more entertaining films IMO.

I would only buy Star Wars if it is going to be released in its original theatrical presentation, which doesn't sound like it's going to happen.

But I would have to say that Star Wars will likely come out on top of LOTR because it has built up a following of fans for decades. For a lot of people, these films hold some serious nostalgic value. And I don't get where everyone's getting this "kids won't be watching Star Wars in 2006" line. I just saw the original trilogy for the first time about 5 years ago (before Lucas had meddled with them) and I instantly fell in love with it. Kids today still watch it, I guarantee it.
Old 09-05-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i think lucas has always been able to attract the lil boy audience... I dont know how much the original trilogy attracts your average teenage today though. I mean, these kids have seen better special effects on day time TV or in commercials than what the original trilogy had... and I dont care what anyone says, you go back in time and take all the special effects out of eps 4-6 and they wouldnt have been 1/10th the phenomenon that they were/are. On the other hand, so long as you have lines like "i have FELT HIM my master" being delivered by a guy in a futuristic gimp suit, you prolly will get the teen audience...

j
Old 09-12-03, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Why does everything have to be a competition with fanboys? I'm as fanboy as they get and I'm getting them both. George Lucas isn't going to revoke your membership if you like LOTR nor is Peter Jackson or JK Rowling, for that matter. I've been a Star Wars fanatic since '77 but some of my fellow SW fans act like LOTR is a personal threat, akin to liking your stepmom. Lighten up. Each movie is only going to cost you about $20, not your soul.
Old 09-12-03, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
and I dont care what anyone says, you go back in time and take all the special effects out of eps 4-6 and they wouldnt have been 1/10th the phenomenon that they were/are.
There's always someone who has completely lost his mind! Movies don't stand the test of time for a quarter century and have a monumental impact on an entire generation of people and pop culture based on some cool FX. Only a fool would think that.

Let's face it chapter 3 of Star Wars was ruined by the Ewoks.
Some think a bunch of walking trees attacking a fortress is just as bad.To each their own.

Yes, but the story isnt known to EVERYONE. as el said earlier. ask anyone who is luke's father and 9 out of 10 times you will hear darth. Ask who made the ring and you will get a confused look.
You couldn't be more right. Go ask a thousand people in any city of the world the question Jack stated, and I guarantee you Star Wars would win by a landslide. Ask who Vader or Yoda is. Then go ask who Frodo and Pippen is, or show a picture of each. I'll own both, but whoever said Star Wars won't break a sweat in this race is right. Star Wars wins easily. Of course, this is all assuming what kind of price range these will be in. Either way, both will sell a ton. But LOTR doesn't stand much of a chance if the original trilogy is released on an individual bases. If SW comes in a box set, then the price will dictate LOTR will win.

Statistically my bet is that LOTR will have the larger number of sales due to the multiple separate releases and people double dipping. But if SW is released as separates I'd bet there will be more homes with SW in their library...
This is true. But it's funny New Line and Jackson don't get criticized for this, while Lucas gets slammed, and Lucas has only released one set of each prequel.

By the way, I think it's a safe bet the OT will be released individually and in a box set.

Last edited by Terrell; 09-12-03 at 05:14 AM.
Old 09-12-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When is ... coming out??

This is kinda funny. What is the most requested DVD that all of us on this board has been asking for for the last umpteen years.

I will tell you this, it wasn't LOTR....

Star Wars will run away with this gauntlet.

This is a great thread though and many of you have made all of the points that I was going to make, in favor of SW. LOTR is a great movie trilogy, but will never match the original trilogy in the long run. Remember, all great trilogies are trying to BE the next Star Wars...

The movie franchise has done wonders for bringing fantasy to the masses, but I think that in the end, fantasy will go back to the role players and normal society will forget about Hobbits. The villains in LOTR, a floating eye and a wizard who gets about 15 minutes screen time, will never match Darth Vader and the Emperor. The heroes (hairy halflings) will never brandish lightsabers or use the force, rather they will hide under tree stumps while showing 'bravery'. Finally, the story of Star Wars makes a little more cinematic sense, then does LOTR - I never find myself asking, so how long DID Merry and Pippin ride that tree ent while Frodo travelled the entire continent? Just how DID Gandalf come back from the dead? Did he have the force? (Oh yeah, he went through fire and water and then was...uh, reborn. Somehow. Yeah. When I was in high school and I was reading LOTR, people used to try and beat me up. I think that after the movies, that will continue to happen.

In the end what I'm saying is that Star Wars (OT) is a better movie series with more memorable characters and scenes, is a little easier to digest and thus will sell more. LOTR is by far, the better of the books...

Star Wars!
Old 09-12-03, 03:09 PM
SeeNo Member

I think i'll go for Star Wars this time.
Old 09-12-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Terrell
But it's funny New Line and Jackson don't get criticized for this, while Lucas gets slammed, and Lucas has only released one set of each prequel.
[lotr fanboy]
No one's forcing you to buy both sets!
They announced it beforehand! it's different!
[/lotr fanboy]

Old 09-12-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally posted by Kal Jedi
[lotr fanboy]
No one's forcing you to buy both sets!
They announced it beforehand! it's different!
[/lotr fanboy]

Put all the smiley's you want, but the fact remains that they did announce it and Lucas did release many, many versions on LD and VHS.
Old 09-12-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by milo bloom
Put all the smiley's you want, but the fact remains that they did announce it and Lucas did release many, many versions on LD and VHS.
True, and unlike the LOTR releases, we were "Forced"(get it? "forced"?) to buy the Star Wars ones. Mmhmm.

I was just matching staple DVDTalk reply with staple DVDTalk post. Relax.
Old 09-13-03, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that Star Wars and LOTR are the "geek's sport teams". Like somehow there is some actual rivalry going on and you are either on one side or another. Since they don't play one another the only way they can possibly get a "win" is to sell more copies, otherwise it's just a lot of trashtalk. Same thing happened over Star Wars and Star Trek when Star Trek was still culturally viable.
Old 09-13-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally posted by Kal Jedi
True, and unlike the LOTR releases, we were "Forced"(get it? "forced"?) to buy the Star Wars ones. Mmhmm.

I was just matching staple DVDTalk reply with staple DVDTalk post. Relax.
Oh, I'm relaxed, I was just going thru the motions like you

Seriously though, I really doubt Lucas was always intentionally trying to rip us off, he just couldn't leave well enough alone. I'd like to think that PJ learned from Lucas. I wish Lucas would learn from PJ and give us barebones DVDs of the original versions of the OT now, and give us the big SE sets later.
Old 09-13-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to have to go with the Holy Trilogy on this one. Lucas keeps re-releasing these, and people keep buying them. People will line up to plunk their money down for Star Wars.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.