Any chance of Paradine Case: Criterion?

Old 09-01-03, 04:29 PM

Any chance of Paradine Case: Criterion?

Criterion has rereleased 3 out of 4 of Anchor Bay's Alfred Hitchcock movies. Rebecca, Spellbound, Notorious. The other film being The Paradine Case, which is currently OOP and going for $40-70. Has anyone heard any news on Criterion possibly rereleasing this?
Old 09-01-03, 04:49 PM

Selznick

From what I can tell, the common thread between the AB Hitches and those reissued as Criterions is that they were Hitchcock's first American releases, under David O. Selznick's company. Wasn't there a change of ownership of the Selznick Library from when AB put the 4 out to just after Spellbound's Criterion release?

Frankly, I'd sooner have Criterion (or Kino, or Image) releases of Hitchcock's public domain British films.

(thinks about a Criterion "Young and Innocent", drools)

BOMM,

CS
Old 09-01-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Selznick

The Paradine Case is not worthy of a Criterion release. Maybe Home Vision should have a shot at it.
Originally posted by BasiaMille
(thinks about a Criterion "Young and Innocent", drools)
Agreed.
Old 09-01-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

According to criterion, no.

I hear it is to be re-released next year from mgm, along with rebecca, spellbound & notorious (which are going out of print from criterion the end of this year)
Old 09-01-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love Hitchcock, I love Criterion editions, but there are probably about 5000 titles I could come up with that would be more worthy of Criterion treatment than The Paradine Case, and if this wasn't a Hitchcock title, I doubt anyone much would remember or discuss this film at all.
Old 09-02-03, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

People with multi-region players can get a decent and pretty cheap version here.
Old 09-02-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the Anchor Bay version and its probably my least favorite Hitchcock movie. Not worthy of a SE in my opinion.
Old 09-02-03, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by marty888
I love Hitchcock, I love Criterion editions, but there are probably about 5000 titles I could come up with that would be more worthy of Criterion treatment than The Paradine Case, and if this wasn't a Hitchcock title, I doubt anyone much would remember or discuss this film at all.
While I agree that The Paradine Case probably isn't the first film I would consider for the "Criterion treatment", I do disagree about remembering the film only because it was directed by Hitchcock.

I had totally forgotten it was a Hitch film, but I will ALWAYS remember Alida Valli
Old 09-02-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Any chance of Paradine Case: Criterion?

Originally posted by runnersdialzero
The other film being The Paradine Case, which is currently OOP and going for $40-70.
We are talking about this one, right?

Because I've got a copy I'll sell you for less than $40.00. Looking at eBay, people can't GIVE this one away.
Old 09-02-03, 11:14 AM

Criterion needs to get their hands on any Hitchcock movie they can. They pretty much put out any Fellini or Kurosawa film, even if it's not their best work.
Old 09-02-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Paradine Case, which is currently OOP and going for $40-70.
The Anchor Bay DVD is OOP, but I don't know where you are getting those prices:

http://search-completed.ebay.com/sea...8&BasicSearch=

In the past month, barely any have sold at all... even with a $2.99 starting bid.
Old 09-02-03, 12:15 PM

I got mine for under $8 at Columbia House... where'd you get those prices from?

While it's a great film, Anchor Bay gave it a a really nice transfer and it's not really begging for extras, though I wouldn't complain if Criterion picked it up and gave it some Since a lot of people will buy anything just because of the Criterion label the film would probably get seen a lot more than it is now.
Old 09-02-03, 12:20 PM

I got the $40-$70 from Amazon.com, not Ebay.com. Sorry about that. That doesn't mean that's what it's going for but that's what some morons are trying to get for it.
Old 09-02-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got the $40-$70 from Amazon.com, not Ebay.com. Sorry about that. That doesn't mean that's what it's going for but that's what some morons are trying to get for it.
Yes, big difference. It's not "going for" that price... I can put my copy up for sale for $400 if I want to. That doesn't change the fact that people are having trouble selling them for 3 bucks on eBay right now.
Old 09-02-03, 01:15 PM

I regularly find THE PARADINE CASE DVD at places like Half Price books for under 10 bucks. Saw one there a couple of weeks ago, in fact.
Old 09-02-03, 06:10 PM

good

this was the exact question i was wondering last nite...i need to pick a copy up in the next few days. I just wish we could get a comple ALfred Hitchcock presents box.