Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

How much additional footage in the LOTR: TTT Extended DVD?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just watched that little preview of the EE of the Two Towers on the new 2-disc TTT that just came out. All I gotta say is now I see why everyone is so pumped for this DVD. God damn that was a big tease to see all that.

Exactly how much (in minutes) new footage will there be? No doubt I'll pick it up anyways, but just was wondering if anyone knew.
Old 08-30-03, 10:40 PM

Around 40-45 minutes, I think.
Old 08-30-03, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A search in the forum would have given you your answer.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Above is a link to Amazon and a list of all the features in the 4 disk set.

A new version of the second installment includes over 40 minutes of never-before-seen footage incorporated into the film. (approx. 208 minutes)
Old 08-30-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, i just saw the EE preview today... looks so sweet. I mainly want to see the Boromir/Farrimir flashback sequence and the (apparent) battle scene between the orcs and the trees. Unlike most other people, I dont need any more footage with Gollum... but some more scenes with Gimli would rock.... and any extra goods on the Helms Deep sequence would be awesome to.

j
Old 09-01-03, 12:53 AM

Thank God, I thought I was the only person in the world who wasn't a fan of Gollum. If they wanted to cut some of the time he was in the original version of the movie when they add the extra footage, I wouldn't mind.
Old 09-01-03, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
A search in the forum would have given you your answer.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Above is a link to Amazon and a list of all the features in the 4 disk set.

A new version of the second installment includes over 40 minutes of never-before-seen footage incorporated into the film. (approx. 208 minutes)
the case says the movie is regularly 179 minutes. 208 is only 29 extra minutes...what gives?
Old 09-01-03, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jekbrown
yeah, i just saw the EE preview today... looks so sweet. I mainly want to see the Boromir/Farrimir flashback sequence and the (apparent) battle scene between the orcs and the trees. Unlike most other people, I dont need any more footage with Gollum... but some more scenes with Gimli would rock.... and any extra goods on the Helms Deep sequence would be awesome to.

j
good ideas...i didnt know there might be a scene with the orcs and ents. that would be nice.

quick question on farromir - near the end when he lets frodo and sam go, someone tells him it would result in forfeit of life...does this mean they killed him?
Old 09-01-03, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by atari2600
good ideas...i didnt know there might be a scene with the orcs and ents. that would be nice.

quick question on farromir - near the end when he lets frodo and sam go, someone tells him it would result in forfeit of life...does this mean they killed him?
I dont think the battle scene is ents vs ocs...but TREES vs orcs... I think its what leads up to the part where tree beard comes up to the big clearing and all the trees/his friends are dead.... I think we're gonna see the trees getting their heiny kicked by the orcs, and I dont mean more of the footage of orcs cutting down normal trees. Treebeard said some of those trees had voices already etc... so i think they actually duke it out with the orcs a little. I didnt watch the EE preview toooo closely, but there did see to be a snippet that showed a "wall" of trees moving towards the orcs.

AFA farromir goes... didnt you read the book? no way I'd spoil that kinda plot developement. I am really excited about the boromir/farrimir flashback though... it seems like it will show one of the main motivating factors that allows farrimir to give up the ring. basically he wants to prove his worth to his old man, who basically told him that Boromir was the "worthy" son all his life and that he was worthless. Knowing that Boromir failed this test basically gives farrimir the will to resist the rings power.

at any rate, in spite of his dad being a yahoo, boromir seems to be a pretty cool brother... so it should be sweet to see the whole dynamic between the two of them.

RotK is gonna be great too... 200,000 orcs and their machines of war vs the last remnants of the race of men in their white city fortress. Should be amazing.

j
Old 09-01-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

*SPOILERS*
That "orcs vs. Ents" scene is actually the Huorns acting as the clean up crew at Helm's Deep. Huorns are older and more animalistic versions of the Ents. They suddenly appear at the outskirts of Helm's Deep (they appear as a large forest) which the Uruk-Hai flee into after Gandalf comes to save the day. The Huorns kill all of the Uruk-Hai and dispose of their bodies by burying them into the ground to use as fertilizer to regrow the trees. Well, that's how it went in the book anyhow...
Old 09-01-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think he linked to the fotr dvd (the ttt final ee dvd is approx 215 with an additional 20 min of credits for the lotr fan club members.
Old 09-01-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by darqleo
That "orcs vs. Ents" scene is actually the Huorns acting as the clean up crew at Helm's Deep.
yeah, now that you mention it I think I remember that part in the book. Its been a while. In any case, I havent watched the preview for the EE again yet because I only rented the film... maybe someone who has it can look more closely etc... I thought that some of the scenes they showed of this tree battle had isenguard in the backround. Like I said, not sure. Any1 wanna take the few mins to check? PJ and crew have made some changes to the books already... so trees vs orcs outside isengard (beyond just the scenes of the trees getting cut down) wouldnt surprise me much, especially since it seems to fit in with what treebeard is saying about those trees being his friends etc etc. Whichever way it is... I cant wait for that EE!!! There is a lil spot on my dvd shelving right next to FotR:EE that is just waiting for it.

j
Old 09-01-03, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jekbrown
I dont think the battle scene is ents vs ocs...but TREES vs orcs... I think its what leads up to the part where tree beard comes up to the big clearing and all the trees/his friends are dead.... I think we're gonna see the trees getting their heiny kicked by the orcs, and I dont mean more of the footage of orcs cutting down normal trees. Treebeard said some of those trees had voices already etc... so i think they actually duke it out with the orcs a little. I didnt watch the EE preview toooo closely, but there did see to be a snippet that showed a "wall" of trees moving towards the orcs.

AFA farromir goes... didnt you read the book? no way I'd spoil that kinda plot developement. I am really excited about the boromir/farrimir flashback though... it seems like it will show one of the main motivating factors that allows farrimir to give up the ring. basically he wants to prove his worth to his old man, who basically told him that Boromir was the "worthy" son all his life and that he was worthless. Knowing that Boromir failed this test basically gives farrimir the will to resist the rings power.

at any rate, in spite of his dad being a yahoo, boromir seems to be a pretty cool brother... so it should be sweet to see the whole dynamic between the two of them.

RotK is gonna be great too... 200,000 orcs and their machines of war vs the last remnants of the race of men in their white city fortress. Should be amazing.

j
no i havent. alot of this stuff is all new to me. e.g. i thought the trees were ents.

thanks for not spoiling anything though

(and it made me stop reading this thread)
Old 09-01-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will it really matter what's on the new DVD if it still glitches in otherwise perfectly fine DVD players?

<----------- still pissed over the Ch. 51 glitch on the regular "Two Towers" release
Old 09-02-03, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have a sony dvd player... and even the nasty scrtached up rental TTT discs I have tried in it (2 so far) have worked flawlessly.... so yes, it will matter whats on the EE.

j
Old 09-02-03, 01:23 AM
Cool New Member

There will be 43 additional minutes and that does not count fan club memeber names. They will be listed in addition to the 43 minutes.