Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Got Alias: The Complete First Season today!! Those in Jersey can too. (merged)

Community
Search

Got Alias: The Complete First Season today!! Those in Jersey can too. (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got Alias: The Complete First Season today!! Those in Jersey can too.

I'm not posting this to brag(Although it is one of my most anticipated DVDs of the year, so I am excited). A couple of weeks ago someone here posted that they got Mr. Show: Season 3 early b/c Best Buy in Woodbridge N.J. put it out early, & I GREATLY appreciated that. So I hope I can return the favor to any Jersey natives. Anyway, CD World in Menlo Park Mall had these out behind the counter when I stopped there today. Paid $46.87 for it. I know Overstock & maybe some other place have it cheaper, but I don't mind, I rarely shop online.

The packaging is great, I prefer this kind of packaging. Just a simple box w/ the 3 DVD cases inside, like the Alien Legacy set & others etc. Gonna watch the hell out of the first disc late tonight.
Old 08-29-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd watch the hell outta Jennife...oh, nevermind, wrong forum.

I'm looking fwd to getting this next week at BB w/ a CC PM for those RZ points. I missed the first season, so I hope I can get into the set and not be spoiled since I already know the direction that it's going in.
Old 08-29-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't wait to get mine shipped to me from Overstock.com so I can satisfy my craving of JG!
Old 08-29-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im really excited about this release. This will be my first TV series bought on DVD and I will see if its worth it to me to collect my fav tv shows on DVD now.
Old 08-29-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by FantasticVSDoom
Im really excited about this release. This will be my first TV series bought on DVD and I will see if its worth it to me to collect my fav tv shows on DVD now.
I'm kind of in the same boat. This is my first non-animated/Mr.Show TV series I've ever bought. I'm not a TV fan at ALL. But I am deeply in love with Jennifer Garner & what really has me excited is the DVD being in Widescreen w/ 5.1 sound. Maybe if other TV shows did that I would buy them, but what really keeps me from buying TV series is that I will never have the time to watch them. But this show more than others is like watching a 1 hour movie. This is probably in my top 5 favorite DVDs I've bought all year, actually right now it's #3 for me.
Old 08-29-03, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Does it have an insert?

Sorry, had to be done...
Old 08-29-03, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no insert acording to our review. I've been waiting for this for a while as well. And even though you newbies who aren't sure about season3 will miss the first few episodes of the season, at least seaso n2 comes out in december.
Old 08-30-03, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Alias Season 1 out early!!!!!

Last night I went to the West side Best Buy in Madison, WI and Alias Season 1 was out! They had 20 or so copies...but all were priced at $51.99...not the $45.99 they'll be on Tuesday.

I went ahead and purchased it...so far, I'm loving this set and can't wait til Season 2 is out in December!!

~Jason
Old 08-30-03, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just got a shipment notice from Overstock as well.
Old 08-30-03, 09:23 AM
Suspended

Best Buy West does it again! The west-side Best Buy in Madison is notorious for breaking street date. It makes me wonder what kind of supervisor they have in their video department. I've had times where I've picked up DVD's 3 weeks before street date at that one. The east side one tends to be better about observing street, though I have gotten one or two Farscape sets there 1 week before street.

Enjoy Alias!
Old 08-30-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who would complain about broken street dates? I say release everything early. I picked up Two Towers 3 weeks before the street date.
Old 08-30-03, 11:01 AM
Suspended

Well, the stores that get caught and have to pay the hefty fine would certainly have some complaints!
Old 08-30-03, 12:42 PM

I love Alias, but I refuse to buy the show in full screen, especially when originally it was shown in letterboxed high definition. I hope they change their mind and decided to release the letterboxed version.
Old 08-30-03, 01:04 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by ToriAmos
I love Alias, but I refuse to buy the show in full screen, especially when originally it was shown in letterboxed high definition. I hope they change their mind and decided to release the letterboxed version.
It is presented in 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen.
Old 08-30-03, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
There are a couple of ad inserts, one for the next TV season and one for the upcoming video game.
Old 08-30-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

one thing, complete and utter newbies who have never watched the show or know nothing about it (and don't want to know until you watch the show on the dvd) may want to stay away from reveiws and tv ads as they include an important "plot twist" from the pilot. For those currious it is that
Spoiler:
syd works for sd6 which she thinks is a part of the cia, but at the end of the episode, the father (victor garber) which this is mentioned in the ad, mentions that its not apart of the cia, and that they are an evil empire of some sort.
its not that big a deal if you know since thats how the entire first season runs around.

Also, does Irena
Spoiler:
syds mother, henchman sort of of Arbin Sloan
make an introduction in the first or second season?
Old 08-30-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

also, those watching the 24 marathon, fx does tend to run this commercial quite frequently (I watched the nip tuck/shield marathon this week)
Old 08-31-03, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tom Campbell
Best Buy West does it again! The west-side Best Buy in Madison is notorious for breaking street date. It makes me wonder what kind of supervisor they have in their video department. I've had times where I've picked up DVD's 3 weeks before street date at that one. The east side one tends to be better about observing street, though I have gotten one or two Farscape sets there 1 week before street.

Enjoy Alias!
Naughty West-Side Best Buy in Madison!

Originally posted by Tom Campbell
Well, the stores that get caught and have to pay the hefty fine would certainly have some complaints!
Yes indeed they will.
Old 08-31-03, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by chanster
I received one before the weekend!

Can't wait to watch this season all over again.
Old 08-31-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by chanster
ditto
Old 08-31-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A little update for what it's worth. Made it through the first disc last night. This is by FAR my favorite box set of the year & after Mr. Show this is my favorite TV DVD I own. I only have basic cable so I've never seen the show in Widescreen before but it is stunning. The pilot is literally like watching a movie & actually better than most movies I've seen this year. I never noticed how awesome the music is for the show until this DVD.

The first commentary is great. It has a brief video intro by Abrahams & Garner who looks stunningly cute. Now what I loved about the commentary is that Garner perhaps more than any celebrity seems so real & normal. She talks w/ intelligence which I would say 95% of hollywood doesn't show. She makes references to literature, & things that even Abrahams doesn't get. She sounds so sweet & very proud of the show. The second commentary w/out Garner is informative but not as entertaining.
Old 08-31-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

from what I hear, the pilot ran 90 min commercial free. So there is no music rights problem like I feared, all the music is there.
Old 08-31-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Regarding Irina Derevko,
Spoiler:
she does in fact appear several times throughout Season 1, but we never get a clear look at her face. Lena Olin wasn't cast in the role until Season 2.
Old 09-01-03, 10:12 AM

Re: Alias Season 1 out early!!!!!

Originally posted by JayDerek
Last night I went to the West side Best Buy in Madison, WI and Alias Season 1 was out! They had 20 or so copies...but all were priced at $51.99...not the $45.99 they'll be on Tuesday.

I went ahead and purchased it...so far, I'm loving this set and can't wait til Season 2 is out in December!!

~Jason
Not to be critical, but I don't understand why someone would pay a premium to get it a few days early... I've never seen Alias, but have wanted to for quite some time. I ended up buying from Overstock for ~$37 shipped and will get it in a week or two. I don't see teh allure of spending another $15 to get it a little earlier; you could've bought another DVD for that price!

Can anyone explain this to me? (especially since this is a deal forum!)
CW
Old 09-01-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
It depends on the movie/show. Would you pay an extra $10 to get Star Wars on dvd a few weeks early?

I would pay an extra $10 or so to get the next season of 24 early. I just finished season 1 again (twice this summer, first time I had seen it), and I KNOW I will get my money's worth out of it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.