Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Anyone else going to Best Buy midnight Two Towers thing?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of going tonight for the hell of it to check it out and see that life size figure of Gollum. Hopefully the whole store will be open because I want to get The Simpsons and Animal House as well. Plus free gifts and some special deals, it should be interesting.
Old 08-25-03, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is this regional or do all BB's do this?
Old 08-25-03, 10:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't think mine is doing this.

A life-sized gollum would be rather small. I'd go if they had a 15 foot gollum.
Old 08-25-03, 10:41 PM
Cool New Member

I hadn't heard anything about this. But then again I haven't been by a BB in a while...
Old 08-25-03, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I just looked at out local ad and they are doing it. There are giving away "cool prizes including a life-sized Gollum figure" (sorry Groucho). Now to figure out if I can buy the other things I want from there this week and if I have to purchase TTT as well.

Last edited by Copenhagen; 08-25-03 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-25-03, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nope. but I'd go if they were handin' out buckets of worms for the Squirm release. I feel like a little midnight fishin'.
Old 08-25-03, 11:30 PM

No, if I want it I can just go to the 7-Eleven down the street from my job right now and buy it, or I could have bought it this morning on my way to work.

In fact the guy told me it came out today, and tried numerous times to force me to buy it, I normally don't care if someone puts something out early, but because the guy was lying to people about the release date, I should have reported him, but I don't know the number
Old 08-25-03, 11:44 PM

867-5309, ask for jenny
Old 08-26-03, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ah man i wish my BB was doing this
Old 08-26-03, 12:12 AM

One of my local Best Buy's is doing this, but I don't feel like dealing with the people just for a chance to win a life size Gollum and buy a movie that I won't watch until tomorrow any ways.
Old 08-26-03, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best Buy in Augusta is just opening at 9 am instead of 10. I just plan on getting it at some point tomorrow. So, no, I am not doing the BB "Two Towers" midnight thing.
Old 08-26-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have no desire to do this for a DVD. I can understand (maybe) doing this for a big system launch or something, but it's not like with a job I have time to watch the whole 3 hour movie tonight.

I'll pick it up after work tomorrow and watch it this weekend. That's early enough for me...
Old 08-26-03, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I just took a cruz to the Schaumburg (Chicago sub.) one and HOLY S***!!! I' don't think I've seen that many people in line at Besy Buy, not even during their Black Friday sales. I'm not kidding, there was somewhere around 1,000-2,000 people there. So I never even got out of the car. My main reason of going there was to get Tron 2.0. Oh well, I'll stop by there during the day.
Old 08-26-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So you can do normal shopping as well? Are the other new releases out?
Old 08-26-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Copenhagen
So you can do normal shopping as well? Are the other new releases out?
Probably not. When I drove by all the lights seemd off inside the store. The only lights they had on were right by the door. So I figure they were just handing everybody a copy of Two Towers and send them straight to the cashier. I could be wrong.
Old 08-26-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well that probably just saved me a trip. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-26-03, 01:03 AM

i just got back from the galleria best buy in houston. there were about 200 people there. i was pretty pissed i didnt win the talking gollum. i never win jack. that thing was awesome. other prizes included a broach from the movie, the soundtrack, games, and a bobblehead. they also gave a giftbag for the 1st 150. it only brought a lotr shirt and a button. they also handed out posters at the door. some old dorky lady won gollum. she was like "holy crap!". then the rap station that was hosting the thing interviewed her. i only picked up animal house since im waiting for the extended editon. inside the store they had the movie playing on a flat screen and the soundtrack was blasting on the store speakers. even though i didnt win anything it was still pretty fun. damn i wanted that gollum! damn that lady!
Old 08-26-03, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just went to the 24 hour Wal-Mart, got LOTR:TTT and Simpsons Season 3. But they didn't have Animal House DSPE on DVD. Guess I'm going to BB in the morning anyway.
Old 08-26-03, 01:07 AM

Well Im back. I went there at 12:00 on the dot almost and BB was ****ing packed! There was a **** load of people so I said screw it, and left. I went to WalMart instead and got the DVD for $14.97. The only thing that sucked was they werent selling The Simpsons or Animal House. I'll get em tomorrow I guess. Im just happy I got TTT so I can watch it right when I get home in the morning after school.
Old 08-26-03, 01:13 AM

Sorry, but if you're willing to go to BB at 12am for a dvd, you have issues.
Old 08-26-03, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Ignite
Just as many issues as someone who visits dvdtalk to talk about dvds. You're such a nerd.

Old 08-26-03, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have issues already. That album sucks. Thinking about selling it.

While I don't understand the whole "gotta have it right now" mentality, there are times when I also cave into it. But no way was I going to drive 30 minutes to the BB that was open just to get the movie early. I won't even have time to watch it till Friday, most likely. I went to a different store last year at midnight, mainly cuz I was bored and felt like taking a ride with my girlfriend. It wasn't that packed, but man, did I feel lame. I mean, if you can find something that makes you that happy, fanboy, more power to you. But that just wasn't my scene. Those things never are. Anyway, I have a gift card for CC I'm using anyway, so that's just the third reason in a long list of reasons why I didn't.

K
Old 08-26-03, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Ignite
and another thing... How is this different from going to a midnight showing on a Thursday? It's not like certain Luca$$ movies where people camp out for months.
Old 08-26-03, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Cornelius1047
I have issues already. That album sucks. Thinking about selling it.

While I don't understand the whole "gotta have it right now" mentality, there are times when I also cave into it. But no way was I going to drive 30 minutes to the BB that was open just to get the movie early. I won't even have time to watch it till Friday, most likely. I went to a different store last year at midnight, mainly cuz I was bored and felt like taking a ride with my girlfriend. It wasn't that packed, but man, did I feel lame. I mean, if you can find something that makes you that happy, fanboy, more power to you. But that just wasn't my scene. Those things never are. Anyway, I have a gift card for CC I'm using anyway, so that's just the third reason in a long list of reasons why I didn't.

K
Me and you are on the same wave length. My excuse was that I wanted to stay up all night playing Tron 2.0 since I'll be out tomorrow night and probably won't get a chance to play it till Wednesday.
Old 08-26-03, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by purplechoe
Just as many issues as someone who visits dvdtalk to talk about dvds. You're such a nerd.

I come here for social acceptance, not to talk about DVD's.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.