Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

HD-DVD players WILL be backwards compatible!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-03, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since this subject has come up before, I thought I'd pass this on.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com./#mytwocents

MY TWO CENTS - 8/22/03 - by Digital Bits editor Bill Hunt

In a special panel discussion yesterday afternoon at the DVD Entertainment 2003 conference in L.A. (entitled The Battle Over the Next Generation), a panel of industry representatives extolled the virtues of moving from current DVD to a high-definition disc based format. In particular, proponents of the various concepts vying for the HD crown (including Advanced Optical Disc, Blu-ray and Pixonics pHD) discussed the advantages of their own particular proposal of choice.

Here's the bad news: It's a little too early to tell for sure, and there are industry forces that are trying to prevent it, but there's a real chance we might be headed for an AOD/Blu-ray format war. That said, here's the good news: EVERYONE on the panel (including representatives of leading hardware manufacturers on both sides AOD/Blu-ray divide, and even one of the major Hollywood studios) expressed confidence that whichever format ultimately gains the high-definition advantage, backwards compatibility with existing DVD software is considered a given in order to make the transition easier for consumers. So if you've been concerned about HD-DVD or Blu-ray (or whatever comes next) making your existing DVD movie collection obsolete, you can now rest easy. The new disc players (whatever format they may be) should all be able to play current DVDs in addition to next-generation HD software.

Also of note is the fact that some in the industry believe that the transition to the next generation format needs to happen earlier, rather than later, in order to ensure that prepackaged media remains the option of choice for HD consumers, instead of Video On Demand (VOD). Fascinating stuff and you can be sure we'll be talking a lot more about these issues in the months ahead.

Stay tuned...
Old 08-25-03, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they would have to be in order for the masses to jump on board. when it comes to VHS to DVD any joe schmoe can see the quality difference added with the bonus features. I doubt many normal folks will upgrade if it wasn't

a.) Backwards compatible
b.) A vast difference in quality that a normal person would care about.
Old 08-25-03, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think many people thought otherwise! It's obvious they need to be backwards compatible for the greatest acceptance.
Old 08-25-03, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did anyone expect HD-DVD to not be backward-compatible?

The "assurance" from this panel just warrants a great big "DUH!" from me.

Now, if you want a real prediction, here's mine. I predict that, even after HD-DVD is introduced, "SD-DVD" (meaning the current DVD standard) will still be completely viable. New titles will come out that will only be released on SD-DVD. There are just too many titles (older television series, many catalog films, etc.) that will never have enough sales potential to justify the expense of conversion to HD-DVD, so for these titles SD-DVD will be the only reasonable marketing choice, if the studios want to continue making money from them.
Old 08-25-03, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

good news!
Old 08-25-03, 03:58 AM

Actually, a few months ago backwards compatibility was very much in doubt. The "powers that be" began thinking that NOT including it would be a good way to speed up the transition to the new format even though backwards compatibility was on the drawing board in the beginning. Obviously this would be moronic on a scale that anyone with an IQ over 80 would find hard to understand. I'm glad they came to their senses.
Old 08-25-03, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess we’ll all wait for T2 ultra extreme HD edition!
Old 08-25-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good news. There's no way in hell that I'll be rebuying all my DVD's in HD. Maybe if I hit lotto...
Old 08-25-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also it will be kinda fun to see what new encryption method they’re going to spend millions of dollars on only to be broken within a year
Old 08-25-03, 02:33 PM
Banned

it will be broken in a matter of days, LOL like 128Bit was.

mind you, I remember vaguely hearing on cnet news that if you use 2024 bit encryption, it would take so many powerful computers to break it that there enough electricity to power such a computer on earth.

but it's hard for them to use a level of encryption to stop copying with out upsetting the US, goverment. I mean playstation was a weapon at one time. In aswer I don't think they can legelly come up with a encryption level to stop piracy. Unless they used a system that would change and upgrade the player as you buy dvds, say you go and buy a dvd and pop it in. once you do that, it upgrades the hardware on the player it's self. then as people break the encryption levels they could upgrade the system. much like a computer.

I agree I am not buying a HD dvd player unless it's going to play all of my old discs. Mind you my first dvd player didn't even play copyed cd's, and my second player plays mp3s on cd's dvdr's and svcd's, my next HD-dvd better chill beer and make popcorn LOL
Old 08-26-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Dammit
Actually, a few months ago backwards compatibility was very much in doubt. The "powers that be" began thinking that NOT including it would be a good way to speed up the transition to the new format even though backwards compatibility was on the drawing board in the beginning. Obviously this would be moronic on a scale that anyone with an IQ over 80 would find hard to understand. I'm glad they came to their senses.
As long as they planned on making the discs the same size there is no doubt that someone would've made a backwards compatible player even if it wasn't the standard to do so. Just look at what's happened with DVD burners. About half of them can record to both formats now, and all of them can also record CDs which wasn't the case with the early drives.
Old 08-26-03, 10:24 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Good news indeed - I cannot wait for HD-DVD!
Old 08-26-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why does backward compatability matter? That would be like buying a dvd/vcr combo machine today. I wouldn't buy one of those... would you? Personally, I would prefer a quality machine for each format - as long as they keep making "regular" dvd players and the price stays reasonable.
Old 08-26-03, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by Easy
Why does backward compatability matter? That would be like buying a dvd/vcr combo machine today. I wouldn't buy one of those... would you? Personally, I would prefer a quality machine for each format - as long as they keep making "regular" dvd players and the price stays reasonable.
I don't see that as a good comparison. It's more like a S-VHS player not being able to play VHS tapes or a DVD player not being able to play CDs. HD-DVD are similar enough to DVD that working in backwards compatibility shouldn't be a big issue.
Old 08-26-03, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by lgchan
I don't see that as a good comparison. It's more like a S-VHS player not being able to play VHS tapes or a DVD player not being able to play CDs. HD-DVD are similar enough to DVD that working in backwards compatibility shouldn't be a big issue.
Exactly. The combo player idea is a false analogy. It would be incredibly simple for them to make it backwards compatible, and kinda lame if they didn't. I does bug me though, whenever they mention the backwards compatibility they say "so your current dvds wont be obsolete". New players that don't play old dvds don't make dvds obsolete, new players with better technology do, period. Just because a new player plays SD-DVDs doesn’t make them look better. At the same time, it doesn't make the SD-DVDs worthless; they are still just as good as the day we bought them. It would just be less convenient to have to keep 2 disc players around to play 2 formats (3 formats if you count audio cds).
Old 08-26-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by FreshOne
Exactly. The combo player idea is a false analogy.
I don't know about that. I admit I don't know anything about it but have read somewhere it would require two different (blue and red) lasers minimum, possibly separate transports. So, does anyone here design these things or are you just speculating (as I am)?
Old 08-26-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What sort of outputs will the thing have? - my set has component inputs only.
Old 08-26-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Easy
I think I would be pretty pissed if my DVD-Rom drive did not play CDs.