Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Have the quality of bonus features slipped?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking about some of the DVDs I first got when I was new to DVD back in 98, and I was quite impressed with the quality of bonus features. I would take the time to watch bonus features on all the DVDs I got. Two great examples that come to mind are 1941 and Heavy Metal. These had great bonus features, material that helped me really appreciate what I just watched. Both DVDs required a great amount of time to thoroughly go thru all the bonus material as well. However, today, most DVDs have deleted scenes that should never have been seen in the first place, and the rest of the "bonus" materials are often promotional fluff made before the theatrical release, and you feel like you're watching commericals telling you why you should see the movie you just paid money for rather than bonus features that help you have a deeper appreciation for what you just saw.

I know there are still great DVDs being produced, but I think the more mainstream DVDs become, the less thought goes into putting good features on DVD. It seems to me that most DVDs are churned out to capitalize on the rental market and the mainstream consumer market, but the more substantial features are saved for "double dippings," forcing collectors to either buy a title twice, or just simply wait a longer period of time for the favorite movie on DVD. Or they can just buy the product churned out and settle with a substandard product. Perhaps we saw better editions at first back in the early days of DVD becuase they were trying to target the collector at first, not the mainstream consumer.

And while we are on the subject, why don't more DVDs have isolated scores?
Old 08-25-03, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hear yea, when I popped in Psyco the making of was longer then the movie itself plus it was informitive. DVD's producers are getting cheap, with the 3 minute cap on features or they have to pay royalties, we get a bunch of dvd with 10 3 minute long featurettes. Just pony up the money and give me a good, informitive half hour doc and I'd be happy
Old 08-25-03, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
I really don't think the quality of extras have dropped much, to be honest. Like you, I was really excited about all the cool stuff on the first batch of DVD I bought; Rushmore, Natural Born Killers, and Psycho .
But after a few years now, the novelty of the extras has worn down quite a bit. With so many movies and so many extras, they have to really be interesting or insightful for the extras to be considered great.
Also, I think most movies don't really offer themselves up to having any great extras. Chances are a film made last year didn't make a significant impact on the history of cinema, didn't have some enourmous business or political struggle behind, so what else could there be to throw on the disc over than some EPK and one of those commentaries consisting of 'Yeah, I really like this shot. That actor was a real joy to work with.'
It seems to me that if there is the chance for good extras they're usually there. But not every movie can really deliever them.
Old 08-25-03, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree that the quality has dipped to a more promotional level (the Chicago DVD is a glaring example, although I hear there's an SE coming). But, I also think that we've gotten a little spoiled by LOTR EE.
Old 08-25-03, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I do agree with you on this. Some of the first Universal titles(Field Of Dreams, 1941, Animal House, etc)all had amazing documentaries that were all from 60-90 minutes long in most cases. Most "making-of" documentaries today consist of a quick 5-15 minute promotional tool that tells you absolutely nothing about how they made the movie, just how talented and wonderful everyone on the cast and crew is.

I do agree with you Simpso Purist that we may be a little spoiled from FOTR:EE, but I can't fault New Line. Look at some of the other amazing releases we've had in recent years--Brazil CC, Pearl Harbor VS, Black Hawk Down CE, even the Windtalkers DE. All of them were excellent releases with excellent features. I don't believe expecting a studio to release a feature packed SE is too much to ask, especially when it is a release like Chicago. I may not be a fan of the film, but I still believe that a big release like that deserves more.
Old 08-25-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I would definitely say that the average quality of bonus features has slipped. However, that's just because there are a lot more DVDs coming out days and the format has become mainstream. Still, there are excellent bonus features to be had.
Old 08-25-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
In general (and yes, there are many exceptions) good movies are getting good DVD releases. Casablanca, Singin' In the Rain and Once Upon A Time In America are three that come immediately to mind, since I watched them in the past two weeks. Not every movie has available and/or needs tons of extras.
Old 08-25-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
There have always been good and bad quality extras. The change for me is that I know I mostly don't have the time to watch them all, so it's (generally) less of an influence on my purchase.

Not sure why Chicago keeps getting singled out. Yes, it's just a single disk. Yes, it doesn't have a ton of extras. But the extras it has are all pretty decent (well, I could do without the making-of, but the commentary and deleted musical number are pretty high quality extras, and even the making-of feature is worth watching once).
Old 08-25-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Have the quality of bonus features slipped?

Originally posted by calhoun07
And while we are on the subject, why don't more DVDs have isolated scores?
Just a guess, but if you're the kind of person who would watch an isolated score, you're probably also the kind of person who would buy a soundtrack CD. If you have the first, you don't need the latter, which equals less $ for the studio.
Old 08-25-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Re: Re: Have the quality of bonus features slipped?

Originally posted by Numanoid
Just a guess, but if you're the kind of person who would watch an isolated score, you're probably also the kind of person who would buy a soundtrack CD. If you have the first, you don't need the latter, which equals less $ for the studio.
I was shocked that when WB rereleased the Amadeus DVD in a 2-disc set, they dropped the isolated score. I had to hang onto my crappy flipper version just for that. It's a shame that studios have dropped that extra, but as you say, it all comes down to $$$.
Old 08-25-03, 11:48 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I think Crocker Jarmen nailed it on the head. There are still plenty of great extras, we just aren't as impressed as when the format was new and these extra features were a novelty. Plus, cable stations are starting to offer these things as well, so if a movie is popular you are inundated with "behind the scenes" stuff.

I used to love long "making of" features. Now I've seen so many, however, that they aren't nearly as entertaining or interesting.
Old 08-25-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Have the quality of bonus features slipped?

Originally posted by Decker
I was shocked that when WB rereleased the Amadeus DVD in a 2-disc set, they dropped the isolated score. I had to hang onto my crappy flipper version just for that.

It's not like it's the only place to hear Mozart .... unlike some film scores that are difficult to find on CD or go out of print, which is when an isolated score would a be a major plus.
Old 08-25-03, 08:04 PM

Part of the reason for this decline of bonus features is the rush to DVD by studios. There was a whole bunch of DVDs that was just released that I swear was in the theaters just a few months ago! But for planned and methodical releases like Indy I'm sure it'll please most enthusiast.
Old 08-25-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Yes, I think the waulity has, in general, decreased. Look back to the Se7en and Fight Club releases (not the original Seven, but the re-release as "Se7en") - both of those DVD sets were - at the time - referred to as "film school on a disc". They REALLY told us how they made the movies, what they had to do to create the special effects and EVERYTHING that we could possibly want to know. Both of those discs have 4 commentary tracks!!!

"O Brother Where Art Thou" went into some detail about how they did the special colors and so on, but there just are not very many extras nowadays which really tell me what I REALLY have a burning desire to know. Even the LOTR Extended Edition did not give me all the details I wanted to know about how they made it. I wanted to know EXACTLY which scenes were CG, which ones used miniatures, and stuff like that. I would have appreciated more details about the Mines of Moria plus lots more.

Then, the producres, directors, actors, etc. used to happily do that kind of stuff for free, and frim what I hear on this board, they don't do it for free anymore, so that could be one reason we don't have the quality we used to see!

Anyway, enough of my rant! More "Film Schools on a disc" please!!
Old 08-25-03, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it really depends on the films intended audience. The latest teen action flick or romantic comedy (i.e. movie junk food) is less likely to have good extras. While more important historical films, or older movies are likely to have worthwhile extras.

Good, extra-packed disks like Blackhawk Down and Day of the Dead are still out there. You just have to be more selective.
Old 08-26-03, 12:02 AM

I think extras are also becomeing taken for granted,all major releases have a lot of extras now, i am waiting for someone to post that they cant believe the latest movie out has commentary's listed as special features (like when a movie lists a trailer as a special feature) lol
Old 08-26-03, 09:52 AM

or Scene Selection.

SCENE SELECTION IS NOT A SPECIAL FEATURE!
Old 08-26-03, 10:50 AM
Rest in Peace

On DVDeXchange I am tired of hearing where is the insert, only the big 2 disc sets have inserts Like 20,000. Almost all others I have to make up my own on my printer. Up to the company to make a insert or not, that's the way the ball is rolling.
Old 08-29-03, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Animated Menus are not a feature, either! lol

I'm glad to hear about the Psycho doc being so good and long. Now I can finally open it. I have many that I have yet to open. I know, I know, there are good reasons to open them right away, but hey, it's nice to feel like Christmas on most days.

Anyway, I don't agree that a good doc lasts about 30 minutes. I opened The Shining for that very reason last night, and despite it being good and all, and really behind the scenes, I just wish it was 90 - 180 minutes. That's why I'm looking forward to Black Hawk Down, cause it's longer than the movie. Anyway, what's worst about that Shining doc is the fact that the daughter states in the commentary that there was all this footage she shot, but was cut at the time by WB for the BBC or something. HELLO! Reinstate all of it, and make it lengthier for the DVD!!!!! That's my babble for tonight.....
Old 08-29-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My favorite special feature is when Artisan lists "141 minutes" on the back of the case as a special feature. You mean we get the whole movie?!?!
Old 08-29-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the daredevil dvd was great also.
Old 08-29-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Re: Have the quality of bonus features slipped?

Originally posted by Numanoid

Actually, it is rarely the soundtrack that is isolated in past DVDs but the score (i.e. not the pop songs but limited to the original orchestrated music).

Your point about the potential cannibalization of CD sales is valid but (I think) a minor point when compared against just getting the mp3 of the score off the Internet (as a problem).

My guess is that it has more to do with payments of residuals to musicians. If actors want to make more money for making a commentary track - you could expect that the musician unions want additional money for an isolated music track.

That said, I do enjoy the isolated music scores as well. I may not listen to the whole thing but just to see how the music works for a particular scene.

Composer commentaries can be interesting as well. Someone mentioned film school info, listen to Randy Newman (who is quite full of himself) rattle on about films taking over a year to make and then once edited he is given five weeks to create the music - a valid point.

Btw, it is rumored that the Looney Tunes Collection may have isolated music tracks ...

Last edited by ctyankee; 08-29-03 at 11:33 AM.