Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Ric Easton's semi-official Cover Art Thread!

Community
Search

Ric Easton's semi-official Cover Art Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-03, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those are freakin awesome! You're killing me! You've got to do 6 disc versions! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-23-03, 05:35 PM

I just updated the Lord of the Rings covers for the Extended Editions. They are up at the start of the thread. I'll consider doing 6 disc versions down the road a bit. Maybe a month or so. It's not a simple matter of just changing the width of the spins, cuz of the special features list and those runes at the top and bottom.

Ric
Old 12-05-03, 08:08 PM

Any chance of Stargate SG-1 season set covers? I recently threw my boxes away (like an idiot), so I can't scan them for you. Moved all the discs to thinpaks. However, now I would like to put them in the super slim 5 or 6 disc cases (15/16 of an inch wide spine).
Old 12-05-03, 10:06 PM

Andrea,

If I ever decide to collect the show, I may decide to give it a shot. Though I don't know if I would design anything for those super slim cases since they are nearly impossible to get a hold of.

There are also alot of shows I still want to collect before I consider Stargate-SG1

So um... Don't hold your breath!

BTW, Out of all the custom covers I have done, and the ones designed by others that I am using... I still haven't thrown away the original packaging. So much for saving space! I guess when I no longer have room to store the boxes piling up in closets and the garage... they will finally have to go! I don't know why I am holding on to them. I am not going to re-sell them. I guess its a pack-rat mentality

Ric

Last edited by Ric Easton; 12-05-03 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-06-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Ric Easton
I don't know why I am holding on to them.
I’ve got a coupla boxes of cases. A large amount of space taken up with season sets (TNG, DS9) and a bunch of Disney tins. Quite a few snappers.

I’ve managed to net over $3k on selling my vhs collection. When I upgrade a DVD, the old one goes on the market along with the original case. And I send the buyer a freshly-printed version of the custom cover. One guy sent me an email, “Where can I get a plastic case to go with this cover?” Well, hey, dude, I just happen to have a couple laying around…
Old 12-24-03, 11:30 AM

Due to a few requests, I have started dabbling with a Stargate SG-1 set of covers. Unfortunately, Andrea, they are not being designed for the Super Slim 5's at this time. Being that they are very difficult to get here in the states, it just seems like a waste of time to me.

Here are my two versions on a proposed spine design:

Version A

Bigger Version

Version B

Bigger Version

Now the trouble is, I don't watch this show... so, um... I am not that familiar with it! I do know that Micheal Shanks' character has left the series a while back and it has been renewed for an 8th season. I have four people in the shot, I guess one of those guys could be Shanks or the guy who replaced him, There has always been 4 main Stargaters, right? I think I heard that Shanks returned for a bit... Trouble is, I cannot find a pic of 5 folks goin thru the gate.

Anyway, let me know if you like either of the spines and if you think this is something I should persue.

Ric
Old 12-25-03, 01:19 AM

Ric, those look great! I like version A, but that's from the perspective of resizing them for slim 5's.

Yes, there have always been 4 main Stargaters. I can't really tell if it's Daniel in the picture or Jonas. Most of the time, Daniel wore a dorky hat (one of those military green Gilligan hats). It's probably him in the picture though. And I would stick with a picture of only 4 going through the gate.

I would definitely like it if you pursued version A!

BTW, can you point me towards the font you used for the bottom of the spines in version B?
Old 12-25-03, 12:23 PM

Actually Andrea, its a Stargate font. The caps are real letters and the small letters are glyphs (cept for the A... they are switched for some reason). I can't remember where I got it, but I'm sure you could find it on the internet... or I could try sending it to you.

I still have to find some higher quality pix, or this thing will be a bust. And that was Daniel in the shot, there was an identical pic with all of them facing the camera.

Ric
Old 12-30-03, 12:39 AM

Don't want to wear out my welcome, but is there any chance of you doing Babylon 5 sets?

Two of my sets have had multiple floaters. The packaging is horrible with respect to keeping the discs secure and I want to move them to 6-disc cases.
Old 12-30-03, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Andrea
Don't want to wear out my welcome, but is there any chance of you doing Babylon 5 sets?

DVDCA has covers. But the guy who did S1 evidently didn't like the WB logo on the spine, so he stretched it. S2 & 3 spines are scans, but the S1 stands out like some kinda freak.

I've got a request in for a S1 cover like the others, but so far nothing. Maybe some action next week?

BUT! A Ric Easton treatment, even if only of the spines, would be bloody marvelous. We would sing his name throughout the land. Thousands would dance in the streets. Babies would be named in his honor. Young nubile women would swoon at his feet. Ascension to Godhood is not beyond the realm of possibility…

I very much dislike the digipacks. Alien quadrilligy is a perfect example of how this can get out of hand. And, yes, I've had my share of floaters with B5. It almost makes me want to spend the extra money at a B&M to avoid the hassle.
Old 12-30-03, 10:00 AM

I like the part where, "Young nubile women would swoon at his feet." The wife may have a problem with it though.

I've never had a problem with the B5 packaging. First, it opens like a book, instead of those ever expanding digipaks (what is the book look called, anyway?). Secondly, I kind of like the overall design and doubt I could do any better.

Thirdly... OK, maybe. But not until after the whole deal is released. And I may take the lazy route and just do a spine design, with the fronts and back remaining pretty much the same.

As for SG-1. I'm kind of at an impasse right now. I need some high quality pix, but so far they are hard to come by. I am also thinking f steering clear of the top (big logo) design until I know for sure that the show will only run 8 seasons. I may still keep playing around with it, but being that the final seasons probably won't be on DVD for at least a couple of years, folks will just end up with an incomplete spine pic until its all released. That was ok for my Star Trek covers, since they would all be out within a year.

BTW, Chris Elder (Michael Corvin... why does he have two names? Its the same guy, right?) has just preveiwed two more SG-1 covers that match this one . I would imagine that they would be up and ready for download soon.

Anyway, I'm on vacation for the rest of the week, but will be out of town, so there won't be any photoshop playing.

Godhood will have to wait.

Ric
Old 12-30-03, 02:02 PM

Secondly, I kind of like the overall design and doubt I could do any better.
That's why I'm having a go at it
Old 12-30-03, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by Ric Easton
just do a [B5] spine design, with the fronts and back remaining pretty much the same.
Ric
That's cool!