Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Ever Have a Title Not Available in Guzzlefish?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-03, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought the DVD of "Bride of Re-Animator." When I attempted to include it in my Guzzlefish inventory, the current version of the title would not come up. I tried it by "movie title" and then by "UPC number." The only thing I could get was the 1999 Out-of-Print version of the film.

Anyone have this happen in Guzzlefish with any other titles. It's the first time it's happened to me.

Off topic: The one feature about Guzzlefish that bugs me is the fact that a box set only counts as a single entry if the individual movies are not sold separately. The individual Charlie Chaplin titles (Gold Rush, Great Dictator, Limelight, Modern Times) will list individually, or, as a total box set. But if you cannot purchase the individual titles (The Godfather, Godfather II, Godfather III), then they only count as one. The upcoming "Indiana Jones" and "Alien" sets will be like this since those films will not be sold separately.

This screws up my Personal Statistics section of Guzzlefish. For example, Francis Ford Coppola is only credited with directing one film as opposed to three. Al Pacino only gets credit for one of the "Godfather" films.

Same thing with my new "Ingmar Bergman" box set. There are three films (only sold in the set), but Bergman is listed in my collection as having directed just one entry in my listings.

I realzie you can just click onto an individual entry, and if it's a box set, then it tells you all the films included. That's fine, but I don't like the fact that you can't list the titles separately. I don't care that they're not purchased separately, I still own individual titles.

Anyways, that's enough venting for now.
Old 08-22-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

new releases don't always show up on dvd tracking sites right away.....

I have a lot of titles that do not show up on Guzzlefish at all since they only have US releases in their system. None of my Canadian or HK discs can be listed there. (I can only imagine how much this sucks for those with region-free players).

Whereas on DVDAf and DVDProfiler I have been able to list every single disc so far.
Old 08-22-03, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by garmonbozia
on DVDAf and DVDProfiler I have been able to list every single disc so far.
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I've been thinking about checking out DVDProfiler. I've never heard of DVDAF, though.

I just don't know if I'm gonna feel like submitting 425 entries, especially since most of my free time will soon be taken over by.............FOOTBALL!!!! Go Rams!!!!
Old 08-22-03, 10:52 PM

One of the reasons I stick with DVDAF.
Old 08-22-03, 11:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Easily over a hundred actually... as mentioned if it's not R1 (or new R1) it's not in there
Old 08-23-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've got ons of CDs that weren't included in Guzzlefish (probably more than 50...and these are officially released discs...not boots...add those in and I've got hundreds more). Only a few DVDs..mostly Canadian titles (Pulp Fiction, Trainspotting, Heavenly Creatures).
Old 08-23-03, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my main complaint about guzzlefish.

actually it's my second. i hate how they have the same movie listed more than once, usually by the security type tag which is just silly. i also don't like that it doesn't show you shared titles if looking through someone elses list. my they have addressed these issues since but i think i'll stick with DVDAF.
Old 08-23-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I've had quite a few not in their database.

Thats why I don't update it often enough, or put a link in my sig, since its not a accurate count of my DVDs.
Old 08-23-03, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes.

K
Old 08-23-03, 12:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have problem finding all the DVD titles with Guzzlefish and DVDaficionado. DVDProfiler has the largest database. Followed by DVDaficionado. Then Guzzlefish.
Old 08-23-03, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I have had that happen a couple times and there is a way to submit a title to guzzlefish just like with DVDAF and Profiler. It takes awhile for new titles to show up but if it doesn't, just submit it and they'll have it up an about a week.
Old 08-23-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I just stick with all three. I do wish Guzzlefish had all my CDs in there.
Old 08-23-03, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Gdrlv
Only a few DVDs..mostly Canadian titles (Pulp Fiction, Trainspotting, Heavenly Creatures).
Yeah, add Brotherhood of the Wolf & Existenz to that list.
Old 08-23-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The lack of non-region one titles is what stops me from using Guzzlefish.

That and the ricockulous name. "DVD Aficionado" I can dig, but... "guzzlefish"? What's that?
Old 08-23-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's frustrating that many of my foreign dvds (especially Indian) can't be located in Guzzlefish and I stopped adding my CD collection because very few of my classical CDs (about 2/3 of my collection) are to be found. It's OK for the mainstream and I like the extras Guzzlefish offers.
Old 08-23-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Sessa17
Yeah, add Brotherhood of the Wolf & Existenz to that list.
The Canadian editions of Brotherhood of the Wolf and eXistenZ are both listed on Guzzlefish:

http://www.guzzlefish.com/title.php?...titleid=188748

http://www.guzzlefish.com/title.php?...titleid=191513

I added eXistenZ myself a while ago.
Old 08-23-03, 09:04 PM

The only thing I would change are the years for the Walt Disney Treasures. Mine are listed as 1929, 2002, and one has no year at all.
Old 08-23-03, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by lisadoris
It takes awhile for new titles to show up but if it doesn't, just submit it and they'll have it up an about a week.

no way I could wait that long. dvdaf has my submitted titles up in less than 24hrs most of the time. it helps to be a regular donator.
Old 09-02-03, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there an easy way to get guzzlefish entries exported to DVDAf or DVDProf?:
Old 09-02-03, 11:55 PM

Several Mixed Martial Arts dvds are not on there.

But they aren't on dvdprofiler, either.
Old 09-03-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by drmoze
Is there an easy way to get guzzlefish entries exported to DVDAf or DVDProf?:
Only copy and paste that I know of. Far less time consuming then the time it took me to initially enter them at Guzzlefish and I now prefer DVDAf anyway.
Old 09-03-03, 08:31 PM

I used to use DVDProfiler, Guzzlefish, and DVDAf, but only DVDAf has had nearly everything I've looked for, and the ones they didn't have I submitted and had approved in a day. Go DVDAf!
Old 09-03-03, 10:51 PM

I just tried to submit "Bride of Re-Animator" to Guzzlefish. They want me to attach a picture of the cover. How the hell am I supposed to do that? Where would I get a picture of the DVD box cover? I would think they would have the means to do that on their end.
Old 09-04-03, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by Tarnower
Where would I get a picture of the DVD box cover?
Usually from DVD Empire or DVD Planet. It's easiest to copy & paste the jpeg image to your submission (at least that's what I do at DVD Profiler).

I've gotten fed up with guzzlefish. There are 25-30 of my non-R1 discs which aren't listed; they can't count my Criterions properly (& never responded to my email offering advice for how to fix the problem). Plus, I don't like the way they count multi-disc sets.

For me, Profiler is far more versatile; it's multi-regional; the database is huge, informative, and pretty accurate; it's adaptable to my needs. I have a DVD Aficionado account, but find it to be the least helpful of the three.

Vive le DVD Profiler!
Old 09-04-03, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by FilmFanSea
Usually from DVD Empire or DVD Planet. It's easiest to copy & paste the jpeg image to your submission (at least that's what I do at DVD Profiler).

I've gotten fed up with guzzlefish. There are 25-30 of my non-R1 discs which aren't listed; they can't count my Criterions properly (& never responded to my email offering advice for how to fix the problem). Plus, I don't like the way they count multi-disc sets.

For me, Profiler is far more versatile; it's multi-regional; the database is huge, informative, and pretty accurate; it's adaptable to my needs. I have a DVD Aficionado account, but find it to be the least helpful of the three.

Vive le DVD Profiler!
Thank you for the advice. I think I will seriously check into switching over to DVD Profiler. I believe they were service my needs much more efficiently.

BTW you have a very eclectic collection of titles. We have very similar tastes.