Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

TV Guide thinks Best Of's are better than Season Sets

Old 08-21-03, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the "New on DVD" section of TV Guide, they highlighted Spin City releasing "Michael J Fox's favorite episodes" on DVD. They then went on to say that best of's are better than season sets. Does ANYONE agree with that at all?
Old 08-21-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Overall, no.

I guess if there were a show I was only marginally interested in, and yet interested enough to actually buy a set, it would make sense, but even I'm not crazy enough to buy a TV show set I'm only marginally interested in, so it makes no sense.
Old 08-21-03, 04:26 PM

I personnaly hate best Of the only best of I own are SNL DVD. I like Spin City! if it came out in season set maybe I'd get it but now.

Same thing for Married with children I din't get the 2 dvd that came out a while a got I'm going to get the season set in October.
Old 08-21-03, 04:27 PM

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts
Jeers to TV Guide
Old 08-21-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No. Best of is something that each person has to decide for themselves.
Old 08-21-03, 04:40 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

And if you've got the season, you can watch what you think is the best.
Old 08-21-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If I like something enough to own the DVDs, I'd rather have it all...
Old 08-21-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did somebody pay off the TV Guide writer to say that? That is hardly based in reality, both from fan reaction and from sales. The two disc "best of" set for Married...With Children barely touches the top ten of DVD sales for TV shows on DVD. The point is that if the show was in season sets, the sales would be much better, and best of sets are clearly not selling as well as season sets. If the fans can't convince them with words, dollars should certainly speak much louder.
Old 08-21-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by BizRodian
If I like something enough to own the DVDs, I'd rather have it all...
Exactly. I don't get the logic of "Best Of's", except in the case of SNL. Those actually make sense to me. Although I would prefer not just a "best of" collection of So-and-So's skits, but a full collection of all his skits.
Old 08-21-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, remember this is the same publication that said no one would want big screen TVs, and jeered ER for cutting off picture when they switched to widescreen.
Old 08-21-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

tv guide is on crack.
Old 08-21-03, 04:56 PM

I REFUSE to buy a best of set, and I own a lot of TV DVDs...Partly because I am a completist, partly because I want to be insured that my favorite episodes are ready for me to watch, anytime. What if something like Seinfeld was only a "best of"? You would miss out on a TON because nearly every episode was at least good....Just look at The Best of Will Ferrel...I can name more skits that SHOULD be on the set than are actually included.

"Best ofs" also hurt the chances of a show to succeed on DVD becuase lots of us want to hold out for the Season Sets, but by not buying the inital releases it gives companies the idea/excuse that the market is too small to continue DVDs of the show!
Old 08-21-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Best Of's = higher price per episode, someone else telling you what episodes are good, lower sales numbers, lower customer satisfaction

What's not to like about that?
Old 08-21-03, 05:08 PM

Well, I am torn on this one. Generally I want season sets, but there are certain series that I would be more inclined to buy only a best of release. One of those I was talking about the other day with my wife is Seinfeld. Now, I hope it does get season sets release, but I probably won't buy it because way too big of an investment for me. There are several other shows that I enjoyed that I have no interest in owning five, six, seven or more season sets of (three seasons in already having second thoughts about continuing with my Simpsons collection) but that I gladly would have a DVD with a collection of memorable episodes.

But that by no means means I want all releases to be "best of" releases when it comes to TV series. Just that I can see the reasoning for why some people prefer them for some series. But I wouldn't want to see anybody screwed out of getting season sets for their favorite show in favor of getting just a best of release.
Old 08-21-03, 05:15 PM

If they would release season sets first (or at the least, the same time as "Best Ofs") it would be fine...But making true fans of series shell out for these seemingly random collection of episodes, just so they can be ensured an opportunity to double dip when season sets come out stinks...Now that TV DVDs are making studios a lot of cash, hopefully things will change...of course it could get worse to try and milk more money out of us, too.
Old 08-21-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by badger1997
Well, I am torn on this one. Generally I want season sets, but there are certain series that I would be more inclined to buy only a best of release. One of those I was talking about the other day with my wife is Seinfeld. Now, I hope it does get season sets release, but I probably won't buy it because way too big of an investment for me. There are several other shows that I enjoyed that I have no interest in owning five, six, seven or more season sets of (three seasons in already having second thoughts about continuing with my Simpsons collection) but that I gladly would have a DVD with a collection of memorable episodes.

But that by no means means I want all releases to be "best of" releases when it comes to TV series. Just that I can see the reasoning for why some people prefer them for some series. But I wouldn't want to see anybody screwed out of getting season sets for their favorite show in favor of getting just a best of release.
Even if you prefer to have some shows in a best of collection, what guarantee is there the producers of the DVD will chose YOUR selections for best of? Invariably, you will be missing episodes you want to see and left hoping for a better product. And that's the trouble with best of sets- the episodes chosen are for a certain few who decided those are the best, but episodes will be left out others want. And that's why I won't buy best of sets either.
Old 08-21-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Give me all the episodes and let me decide which are the best episodes.
Old 08-21-03, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by calhoun07
Even if you prefer to have some shows in a best of collection, what guarantee is there the producers of the DVD will chose YOUR selections for best of? Invariably, you will be missing episodes you want to see and left hoping for a better product. And that's the trouble with best of sets- the episodes chosen are for a certain few who decided those are the best, but episodes will be left out others want. And that's why I won't buy best of sets either.
HOWEVER, unless I am mistaken the Best of Friends series actually had a call in voting process at some point... or am I imagining that?

All in all, series with continuing story arcs cannot support these "Best of" DVDs... Extreme example - Melrose Place. But something like The Simpsons would be okay for the non-die hard completist fans (e.g. all the "Tree House of Horror" episodes). I MYSELF would rather have all the Simpson seasons, but I know plenty of folks who'd buy best of DVDs like this.
Old 08-21-03, 05:29 PM

'Best of' releases are bull*****. I don't need or want a company to decide what is the "best of" a series. Personally, I find I like a lot of episodes that may not be considered a "best of"...
Old 08-21-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rfduncan
HOWEVER, unless I am mistaken the Best of Friends series actually had a call in voting process at some point... or am I imagining that?
Who cares how they decide to select the episodes, whether it's the star's favorites or a call in process or whatever. The bottom line is there will ALWAYS be episodes fans want that are left out. The call in process will only allow the most popular, not necessarily the best or even YOUR best choices.
Old 08-21-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Inspired by an Icehouse beer billboard:

I like full season sets.
The TV Guide columnist doesn't.
The TV Guide columnist is an idiot...
Old 08-21-03, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,799 Posts
I'll second Groucho's "jeers."

I would absolutely hate to think of "Best of Buffy" or "Greatest Babylon 5 Episodes" DVDs instead of full seasons.
Old 08-21-03, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
but they go on to say in another article on why its good that ER is having a season set. and generally they've been pro season sets over best ofs
Old 08-21-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No way that "best of...." is better than having the complete set.
Old 08-21-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think "Best Of's" are a bad thing. As for the example of Spin City, I think the show is funny but I dont think it's funny enough for me to own all the seasons. So maybe a "Best Of" sounds like a good deal.

As for other shows like Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, Seinfeld, etc...; my favorite shows are the one's I want full sets on.

As for the fans of Spin City, this likley means there are some Season Sets up ahead, so I wouldn't worry.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.