Community
Search

Got Duel!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-03, 06:05 PM
JM1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got Duel!!!

Now this was a shock. I know it has been pulled/delayed..whatever.

But being based in UK , we often get R1 releases up to 2 weeks before the US. Don't ask why, I don't understand either.

But there is a shop in London that sells R1 stuff over the counter. Been going there for a while now.

Went in tonight, and he had Duel. Something to do with copies being released before they were pulled off the shelves - and trust me these are legit. Apparently, they are selling on ebay for ridiculous sums.
Old 08-08-03, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...47#post3930047
many of us (my self included, got duel through amazon.
Old 08-08-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I checked EBay and I will wait for it to be released later this year or whenever. The DVD is not worth $89 plus shipping.

Maybe the next set that will be release will have both the wide and full screen.
Old 08-09-03, 01:40 AM
Banned

Re: Got Duel!!!

Originally posted by JM1
Now this was a shock.
No. Having a sailboat inserted in you is a shock. This whole situation is a catastrophe!
Old 08-10-03, 03:07 AM
JM1

Wached it last night...the DTS track is superb, considering the age of the movie and that fact that it was made for TV. The sound of that huge, menacing truck thundering through your living room is quite impressive. It did appear to be a little out of sync in places, but I find that a lot with DTS tracks anyway.

Very good pic too, no marks, scratches, grain in evidence at all.

And tha extra's are better than they appear at first glance. The interview with Speilberg is so informative, and inclused clips, pics, artwork, original storyboards etc that it is effectively a making of. Very interesting piece on Speilbergs early years in TV, and a good interview with Richard Mathieson.

Very glad I got this. But I agree you should not pay silly ebay prices for it, it will come eventually, just be patient.
Old 08-10-03, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
I checked EBay and I will wait for it to be released later this year or whenever. The DVD is not worth $89 plus shipping.

Maybe the next set that will be release will have both the wide and full screen.

Duel will not be released in widescreen as that is not the original aspect ratio of the movie. The Full Screen version is all anyone will ever see unless you want to see a pseudo-widescreen release.
Old 08-10-03, 10:04 PM

"You know Andy...I never thought our town would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger." -- Barney Fife

I'm lovin' this signature!

Hey, D.Jones: How about rotating your Barney quotes with ......

"Now why'd'ya do that Andy! You know she was guilty, I seen her do it! Now she's gonna go all over town telling everybody how she got away with it, and people'll be jaywalking all over the place, and disregardin' Keep-Off-The-Grass signs, and everything!! Why Mayberry's gonna turn into a regular SIN TOWN!!!!" -- Bernard Milton Fife (circa 1960).

Last edited by davidvp; 08-10-03 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-11-03, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by davidvp

I'm lovin' this signature!

Hey, D.Jones: How about rotating your Barney quotes with ......

"Now why'd'ya do that Andy! You know she was guilty, I seen her do it! Now she's gonna go all over town telling everybody how she got away with it, and people'll be jaywalking all over the place, and disregardin' Keep-Off-The-Grass signs, and everything!! Why Mayberry's gonna turn into a regular SIN TOWN!!!!" -- Bernard Milton Fife (circa 1960).

Television does not get much better than this!!!
Old 08-11-03, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't pay $89 plus unless it was delivered by a supermodel offering free oral favors. I'll wait until it's widely available.

Last edited by JimRochester; 08-11-03 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-12-03, 04:11 AM

Television does not get much better than this!!!
Indeed. Now if we can just talk somebody, somewhere, on some planet, to release that extremely popular and funny TV program (The Andy Griffith Show, that is ) onto the DVD format...preferably while "Anj" is still with us (Andy G. is 77 now -- trivia notation: Andy and Marilyn Monroe were born on the exact same day).

A TAGS collection with commentary by the star(s) would be most welcome.

At least D. Van Dyke is coming in October.

But having Andy right beside Dick would give any DVD collector the "warm 'n fuzzies" all over.

"Here at 'The Rock', I'm gonna start you men on a program of rehabilitation. .... I have here a Leathercraft Set, a Woodcraft Set, a Metalcraft Set, and a Mister Potato Set! Now...Who wants what??" -- B. Fife

Last edited by davidvp; 08-12-03 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-12-03, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by davidvp

"Here at 'The Rock', I'm gonna start you men on a program of rehabilitation. .... I have here a Leathercraft Set, a Woodcraft Set, a Metalcraft Set, and a Mister Potato Set! Now...Who wants what??" -- B. Fife [/B]
Old 08-12-03, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JimRochester
I wouldn't pay $89 plus unless it was delivered by a supermodel offering free oral favors. I'll wait until it's widely available.

How do you think I sold my copy for $75.00?
Old 08-12-03, 05:11 PM
JM1

Ahem...excuse me, hate to interrupt and all that, but...

I am mightily pleased that you all seem to be having such a wonderful time and all, but is anyone actually interested in the original message in this thread or not?

If not, can a mod please close this thread, as it seems to have taken something of a detour from it's original intention.

Dare I use the word hijacked?
Old 08-12-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JM1

I am mightily pleased that you all seem to be having such a wonderful time and all, but is anyone actually interested in the original message in this thread or not?

If not, can a mod please close this thread, as it seems to have taken something of a detour from it's original intention.

I don't understand what you want us to talk about -- how happy we are that you found a copy of "Duel?" Seems to me like the thread is staying right on topic (i.e., how hard it was to get "Duel," how much it's selling for on eBay, etc.). It's not like it suddenly turned into a discussion about "The Lizzie McGuire Movie." How exactly has this thread been "hijacked?"
Old 08-12-03, 10:29 PM

I apologize, JM.

I think he's mad at me. Because I commented on my amusement re. the Barney Fife sig.

(You do realize, though, that if Deputy Fife had been on the scene and patrolling the highway that Dennis Weaver was utilizing, via his "Checkpoint Chickie", then there would have been no "Duel" at all. Fife would have had that bastard trucker in Mayberry's Big House (aka: "The Rock") in nothin' flat!)

"I pass this crazy rig a couple of times, and this guy goes off the deep end. It's a good thing Fast-Gun Fife was right behind me, with his single-bullet theory! Whew!" -- Dennis Weaver in 1971's Original Treatment for "Duel"

Last edited by davidvp; 08-12-03 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-13-03, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by JM1

The original message probably should have been posted in this thread: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=310482
Old 08-13-03, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JM1

You should have posted this in the Duel thread which was created before your thread!!!! Why don't you delete this thread?