Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Sp.Eds of Carlito's Way/Scarface: Should I Get Rid of my old ones?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-03, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to be getting different views on what special features the upcoming re-releases of Carlito's Way & Scarface.

Should I keep the old ones and buy the new versions or just sell the old ones and "upgrade"?

Reason is that the old Scarface dvd had this incredible documentary on the making of the film and I seem this wasn't included on the new one.

Thanks!!!
Old 08-08-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sell the old scarface. Make lots of money. Keep the old Carlitos way just for the case. The new one is goofy.
Old 08-08-03, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Check and see what the difference is between the new and the old if they have different features you may want to hold onto them. But if want to sell Scarface and make money off it you had better sell it before the new one comes out or it will be worthless to you.
Old 08-08-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The old Scarface isn't selling for much on Ebay anymore these days - surely most know a new and likely much improved version is coming. (The same goes for Weird Science.)
Old 08-08-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Sell the old scarface. Make lots of money. Keep the old Carlitos way just for the case. The new one is goofy.
Of course you could sell the old one and get a new cover from DVDCA.
Old 08-08-03, 10:15 PM

Re: Sp.Eds of Carlito's Way/Scarface: Should I Get Rid of my old ones?

Originally posted by Cardiac161
I seem to be getting different views on what special features the upcoming re-releases of Carlito's Way & Scarface.

Should I keep the old ones and buy the new versions or just sell the old ones and "upgrade"?

Reason is that the old Scarface dvd had this incredible documentary on the making of the film and I seem this wasn't included on the new one.

Thanks!!!
I keep the old scarface because of the great making of documentary. The new release well have a great picture but did they have too do a special feature documentary on how scarface influences the rap community. Who cares about how those lowlifes are influenced by scarface. A great special feature for the new release would be a director commentary followed up by a feature on how scarface influenced educated human beings. I haven't a clue why rap singers who watch scarface walk away from the film thinking that it is in some way part reality. Too me scarface is just a fun action film. I guess if your an uneducated millionaire with no real talent but to scream retarded shi? into a mic and call it music then I guess scarface would influence you.
Old 08-08-03, 11:15 PM

I would just like to say I am a huge fan of Scarface and rap music. I am a little sick and tired of everyone putting down rappers, calling them "lowlifes", and the little snickering and jibing that goes towards their supposed inferiority. yeah, some rap music sucks. But so do a lot of things. Fine, every rapper on cribs has a copy of scarface. So what. It is their right as consumers to own whatever they want. So some of them flaunt a ridiculous lifestyle, so what. So does J.Lo. So does Madonna. Big deal. Rap music came out of NYC and was an early form of street poetry; a lot of young black kids expressed their frustrations with music rather than violence. Yeah, so MTV has mutated a lot of rap into garbage (you can also thank Puff Daddy for that). But you know what? Rap Music is an art form to a lot of people, and Scarface is an important movie to a lot of Rappers. Hey, I don't get Snopp Dogg's obsession with the Godfather either, but I don't think he's any lesser of a person. I think he's dumb because he smokes a lot of weed and uses the same beats in all of his songs, not because he likes a movie so many "movie buff's" hold near and dear.

If anything it's a testament to a movie if many different audiences are affected by it. So stop running your mouths on rap. You know what, I think Dave Matthews sucks ass, but a lot of people I know love Dave Matthews and love Scarface. Does that mean I hate them? Do I think any less of them? No. They're just different than me.
Old 08-08-03, 11:20 PM
Cool New Member

my thoughts exactly?

What kind of person would stereotype a group as "lowlifes"?

i like scarface, and don't care a thing for rap, but i don't have any problem with the feature. I would care to wager, that some of the participants in this newly added feature, helped get a new special edition off the ground..

it's no different than roger ebert giving his commentaries on a film he contributed nothing to..
Old 08-08-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by fahmad
I would just like to say I am a huge fan of Scarface and rap music. I am a little sick and tired of everyone putting down rappers, calling them "lowlifes", and the little snickering and jibing that goes towards their supposed inferiority. yeah, some rap music sucks. But so do a lot of things. Fine, every rapper on cribs has a copy of scarface. So what. It is their right as consumers to own whatever they want. So some of them flaunt a ridiculous lifestyle, so what. So does J.Lo. So does Madonna. Big deal. Rap music came out of NYC and was an early form of street poetry; a lot of young black kids expressed their frustrations with music rather than violence. Yeah, so MTV has mutated a lot of rap into garbage (you can also thank Puff Daddy for that). But you know what? Rap Music is an art form to a lot of people, and Scarface is an important movie to a lot of Rappers. Hey, I don't get Snopp Dogg's obsession with the Godfather either, but I don't think he's any lesser of a person. I think he's dumb because he smokes a lot of weed and uses the same beats in all of his songs, not because he likes a movie so many "movie buff's" hold near and dear.

If anything it's a testament to a movie if many different audiences are affected by it. So stop running your mouths on rap. You know what, I think Dave Matthews sucks ass, but a lot of people I know love Dave Matthews and love Scarface. Does that mean I hate them? Do I think any less of them? No. They're just different than me.

Its about time somebody said that. I mean I get so tired of the stereotype myself in most of the dvd boards with their rappers are illiterate and dumb crap. Please most of you guys criticizing them are purely judging them without really even listening to their music. But I guess to each his own. If you are into Yanni or something I am not gonna diss you for it.
Old 08-08-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by feagfilms
i like scarface, and don't care a thing for rap, but i don't have any problem with the feature. I would care to wager, that some of the participants in this newly added feature, helped get a new special edition off the ground..

it's no different than roger ebert giving his commentaries on a film he contributed nothing to..
ok, some interesting points..

to be honest, i don't like rap music... well, not as much as i used to. thanx to MTV & some of those fools who keep causing troubles & public attention, i tend to stay away from rap music...

but i have to say this: what they do, i don't really give a sh#t.. if they want to contribute something to this Scarface DVD, fine... although i don't see any reason.
i mean, c'mon... most people who contribute something to certain movies are either other directors, actors or whoever IN the business of movie making...

Ebert works IN the movie business...

rappers are in MUSIC business.

i'm just hoping those guys don't screw around with the movie...
Old 08-09-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rap Music is an art form to a lot of people, and Scarface is an important movie to a lot of Rappers.
But, just why is Scarface important to a lot of rappers? What is it they value in it?

Last edited by DavidH; 08-09-03 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-09-03, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I made enough around Christmas on my old Scarface DVD to pay for the new Special Edition one in the collectors box and with enough money left over to buy a couple of cheap DVDs. Gotta love the out of print DVD market.

As far as why Gangsta rappers like Scarface, have you seen the movie? Its pretty much the lifestyle they rap about. Taking on all those guys by yourself in the big shootout. Thats something you will easily find on a rap album, not to mention the drugs, women, etc.

Last edited by darkside; 08-09-03 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-09-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, I have seen the movie 15-20 times and it is one of my favorite movies. But, I don't like it for the same reasons they do. My questions were an implication of what you just said regarding the "bad ass" attitude and lifestyle. That is what they value. Tony Montana is not a guy I want to look up to or emulate. Of course, I can say the same about rappers.

On a different note, I really wish they were leaving off the DTS track. The video is going to suffer - even if a little - because you can't put a DTS track with a 5.1 DD and two 2.0 tracks on a movie that is almost 3 hours long on ONE disc without compromising video.

Last edited by DavidH; 08-09-03 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-09-03, 01:32 AM

I seriously doubt Brian De Palma had anything too do with the new scarface release for the following reasons. He didn't do a commentary track and hes done commentaires for some of his other films and second I bet it was the studios idea to make a special documentary entitled DEF JAMS PRESENTS THE MAKING OF A HIP HOP CLASSIC. This special feature was made too sell dvd's to the hip hop community. The making of scarface on the original release was great. I hate rappers but there entitled too there documentary. I think it's a bad joke and I cant wait too read the reviews on this documentary. I just wish they had a special documentary for people who love scarface and want too listen too some history and behind the scenes stuff from educated people who worked on the film as well as actors and directors who love the film too and want too give there personnel take on how scarface influenced them. I really think that having the lowest form of life "RAPPERS" explain why they like scarface was a bad decision.

Last edited by SERPICO7; 08-09-03 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-09-03, 09:05 AM
Banned

What Serpico said.

In total agreement.

This new release is a sham cept for the new transfer.
Old 08-09-03, 10:21 AM
Cool New Member

Ebert works IN the movie business...
He's a critic, I'm not sure i'd say he's in the movie business- granted he's a writer for 3 films, does television, and journalism

But ( i'm not sure what specific rappers are included)--these rappers have acted in films, contributed soundtracks for films, and many of time wrote songs specifically for a film.

besides that, other rappers have directed films, as well as contributed to the ideas and direction of their music videos and starred in their music videos..

So to say they're only in the "music biz" is a little far-fetched, i'd say Entertainment business. As anyone from, Kris kristofferson, eminiem, J-lo, madonna,and britney are also in the entertainment business.

That's why i see no big deal in the feature, let their voice be heard, if you don't want to see it, don't watch it.
Old 08-09-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

FYE is hardly a bastion of reliable information, but they've got a 'coming soon' display up for Scarface which mentions a commentary by de Palma on the new disc. Questionable, no doubt, but one can hope!
Old 08-09-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by SERPICO7
I seriously doubt Brian De Palma had anything too do with the new scarface release for the following reasons. He didn't do a commentary track and hes done commentaires for some of his other films and second I bet it was the studios idea to make a special documentary entitled DEF JAMS PRESENTS THE MAKING OF A HIP HOP CLASSIC. This special feature was made too sell dvd's to the hip hop community. The making of scarface on the original release was great. I hate rappers but there entitled too there documentary. I think it's a bad joke and I cant wait too read the reviews on this documentary. I just wish they had a special documentary for people who love scarface and want too listen too some history and behind the scenes stuff from educated people who worked on the film as well as actors and directors who love the film too and want too give there personnel take on how scarface influenced them. I really think that having the lowest form of life "RAPPERS" explain why they like scarface was a bad decision.
Wow serpico, unless you have an advance copy of the new edition, I dont think you are in any position to say a certain special feature or doc is going to suck without actually WATCHING it. How many times have we all looked at the back of a dvd and thinking man that doc or special feature looks like crap but when you get down to watching it, its not as bad as you thought. I think it is an interesting view to see why rappers have a fascination with scarface. Considering almost every rappers MTV cribs appearance is filled with a Scarface dvd reference and since they bring it up in their songs as well, it will be a refreshingly new doc.

P.S what kind of music are you into Serpico? God forbid they are not lowlifes like rappers.