Community
Search

Eddie Izzard: Circle release on 9/23

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-03, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eddie Izzard: Circle release on 9/23

Like many others, I was disappoint to learn that Glorious was cancelled. But as I looked through the Coming Soon list, I clicked on the Glorious link, taking me to Amazon's listing for it. Sure enough, no release date set. But there was a link listed for Eddie Izzard: Circle with a release date of September 23, 2003. Checked several other online merchants and found it listed on the big ones like buy.com, Best Buy and Bestprices.com. So, it's not a dream, not a hoax, not an imaginary story!

Searched the DVDTalk Coming Soon list and the boards for a mention of it and found nothing. So here's a release of interest coming in under the radar. It's from the same label that did Dress To Kill. It will have commentary by Eddie, another documentary and a repeat of the Paris Dress To Kill tour footage (with commentary) that was on the Dress To Kill DVD.
Old 08-05-03, 03:09 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Re: Eddie Izzard: Circle release on 9/23

Originally posted by RKillgore
It's from the same label that did Dress To Kill. It will have commentary by Eddie, another documentary and a repeat of the Paris Dress To Kill tour footage (with commentary) that was on the Dress To Kill DVD.
No flag, no sale.
Besides,I believe this dvd was "made by Nazis with dead trees, bits of mud and spit. I don’t think I’ll have that one…"
Old 08-06-03, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is great news!
Old 09-17-03, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bump! He was just on Leno (funny as heck), and this is coming out Tuesday. Rejoice!
Old 09-18-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You all FORCED me to do this!!!!

I hope you are proud of yourselves.
Old 09-18-03, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by Quake1028
You all FORCED me to do this!!!!

I hope you are proud of yourselves.

lol....couldve been worse

I missed most of his Leno appearance but did catch thepart where they showed the new DVD/CD was coming out. What exactly is Circle about?
Old 09-18-03, 08:59 PM

I actualy saw the Circle show live in LA and was disapointed that there was not a second HBO concert for it. So I am excited.
Old 09-18-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by HitManX
What exactly is Circle about?
Circle on IMDB

Circle on Amazon with reviews
Old 09-22-03, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Got Circle in my hand. Now I can just yearn for Glorious...
Old 09-22-03, 11:22 PM

Heck, I want all of his early stand up shows to make the jump to dvd....Live at the Ambassadors, Unrepeatable, Definite Article, Glorious

One day, my dream will come true. Oh yes.
Old 09-23-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
It's both a DVD & CD release if I recall. Not together though as other music groups are doing.
Old 09-23-03, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been shouting on the official Eddie Izzard site ( http://www.eddieizzard.com/ . . . for those of you who are interested) for months now for them to release the entire collection on DVD . . . and even had a number of supporters join in, but can't seem to get any response. Unless of course they are releasing Circle because of all of my vocal requests . . .    
Old 09-23-03, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes . . . they are releasing both the DVD and the CD on the same day . . . maybe they are waiting until the release the SEXIE tour on CD too, before they bundle the Circle CD.

Interesting side notes:[list=1][*]For those of you who don't know, Eddie is doing his SEXIE tour right now . . . still some shows available in the U.S., I believe (I'm actually flying to Philly to see him with my brother on Nov. 8th     ).[*]Interesting thing about the CD recordings of the shows although they are from the same shows as the DVD's/Videos, they are not the same performances. While the main themes are the same throughout, there are a number of "tangent jokes" that are completely different between audio and video. Definately worth having both.[/list=1]
Old 09-29-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, I listened to this today and I'm blown away at how bad of a comedy concert this was. I have heard how madcap and funny he is, but I laughed maybe twice the whole time. He just kind of rambled from unfunny religion bits to things with animals that couldn't have been dumber. "Why can Seals bounce balls?" How about who cares.

I guess this is one of those things I just don't get. Is this like his worst concert or something?
Old 09-30-03, 12:11 AM

Luke the force is really quite strong with you.

Really ow strong

ummmm...

as strong as a small pony

o ats strong at is
Old 09-30-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by darkside
Wow, I listened to this today and I'm blown away at how bad of a comedy concert this was. I have heard how madcap and funny he is, but I laughed maybe twice the whole time. He just kind of rambled from unfunny religion bits to things with animals that couldn't have been dumber. "Why can Seals bounce balls?" How about who cares.
I'm sorry to hear you say that . . . as a Izzard devotee, I always hope to find new fans. As far as the quality of the show, "Dress To Kill" is generally considered his best show, followed by Glorious or Definite Article, but that was before Circle was released. I did see Circle live, and remember it being very funny, but, that was three years ago and, due to extenuating circumstances, I haven't had a chance to watch my new DVD yet to refresh my memory. Once I do, I'll let you know, at least in my opinion, how it rates compared to the other ones.

Also, you said that you "listened" to the show . . . do you mean that you got the CD instead of the DVD? I think that a major compliment to his humor is the visuals of his shows. I know that I would not have found my CD copies nearly as funny if I hadn't already seen the facial expressions and movements that go along with the bits. Try renting or borrowing a copy of one of his acts from someone to see if you like it better.

I have seen many a viewer be in tears and having trouble breathing from laughing at his shows so hard. At the same time, I know a certain subset of people for whom his sense of humor just isn't a good fit. But, I figure that if he's good enough for Robin Williams and John Cleese, then he is good enough for me.

"Ahh . . . babies on spikes . . . it's the American Dream!"
Old 09-30-03, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I did listen to the CD. It might be a deal where I need to see him the first time through to get the full idea of whats going on. I'll try to rent the DVD and give it another chance.
Old 09-30-03, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by darkside
I did listen to the CD. It might be a deal where I need to see him the first time through to get the full idea of whats going on. I'll try to rent the DVD and give it another chance.
Since I haven't watched the Circle DVD yet and since you had a bad experience listening to it, I'd suggest renting Dress To Kill. So far I've batted 1.000 when using it to introduce people to Eddie.

Last edited by talemyn; 09-30-03 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09-30-03, 02:01 AM

I agree with Talemyn. Watch Dress To Kill. I've been a fan of Izzard's since I saw Definite Article (on VHS) but Dress to Kill was one of the few times in my life where I laughed till it literally hurt.
Old 09-30-03, 08:40 AM

I personally am a big Eddie fan, and like others I am waiting for Glorious, Definite Article, Unrepeatable, and Live at the Ambassadors to be released on DVD.

However, I must state that after purchasing BOTH the CD and the DVD for Circle, I was sadly a little lower on the "laugh-o-meter" compared to previous shows. Not to mention, as a side note, it appears that the CD and DVD are identical in recording dates & their final cuts. Whereas the DTK CD is significantly different than the DTK DVD and I love them both.

Circle is good, but Dress To Kill is far better....

Now lets get those other shows on DVD and off of VHS only!!!!

D
Old 10-21-03, 08:55 PM

In the reviews section of DVDTalk, the reviewer of both Circle and Dress To Kill says that the French bonus concert has no English translation, yet my copy of Dress To Kill has subtitles. I was wondering if everyone who has Circle has English subtitles on the French performance?
Old 10-21-03, 10:17 PM
Registered

I can confirm that there ARE subtitles on The Circle for the french 'Dress to Circle'
Old 12-08-03, 12:18 AM

Raising this thread back from the dead....

Any Izzard fans with region free players? Cuz his Sexie dvd is out on R2. No word on the R1 version yet.

Can't wait to get back from work and pop this baby in the machine.
Old 12-08-03, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DataZak
Raising this thread back from the dead....

Any Izzard fans with region free players? Cuz his Sexie dvd is out on R2. No word on the R1 version yet.

Can't wait to get back from work and pop this baby in the machine.
Grumble, grumble, stupid regions, grumble, grumble . . .