Community
Search

Why should I pay for extras when I don't watch them

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-03, 07:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why should I pay for extras when I don't watch them

Since I rarely watch the extras why should I have to pay for them. A 2 disc version could be 14.99 while the single would be 9.99. What do you think?
Old 07-30-03, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if the dvd is a big (a blockbuster movie) then bb or cc would have the dvd for around 15 bucks. I guess the Fox dvd's are for you then.
Old 07-30-03, 07:37 PM

I don't know about you... but except for maybe, Red Dragon... I really don't think I've ever paid more for a DVD just because it has extras.
Old 07-30-03, 07:45 PM
Suspended

If you already know the answer, why are you still asking? The extras are in there for free, the cost you paid is for the movie and the movie alone. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Or do like the poor people and d/l an inferior version in whatever video format from P2P. Bitchin' and whining.
Old 07-30-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The answer is pretty simple. If the studios were to make two versions of every film (on w/extras, one without) the price for DVDs would go up, due to the fact that they would have to make back double the costs. I say just buy the discs as they come and if you don't like the extras... Just don't watch them.
Old 07-30-03, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You must love Superbits. Although those DVDs tend to cost more than most other studios' 2-disc sets.
Old 07-30-03, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Why should I pay extra for Reset button on a computer when I hardly use it?

Why should I pay extra for Mute button on a remote when I don't use it?

It's part of the package. you really don't pay more for extra's unless their is two different packages and even then, you have a choice.
Old 07-30-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for years I swore that I didnt give a rip about extras... but then I started watching some... Rambo SE stuff... LotR:EE... etc... and now I think they are kinda cool. Have ya ever tried watching them? ya might get more out of it that you thought, I know i did.

at any rate, I have no probs with different versions of a DVD... bring on the double and tripple dipping. I really like the way they are doing the LotR movies... 3 versions of each film and, inevitably, 1 uber box set with all 3 films in it.

j
Old 07-30-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That would cost way too much money to do that anyways. If your not into extras just get a vhs player. This is really kind of a ridiculous thread.
Old 07-30-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think cost wise it would work well. Not only would studios have to produce two different sets (four if they do seperate pan and scan/widescreen releases for each set), but then they would have to negoitate retail space for all four releases on the shelfs. It's easier to do one edition.

(Exceptions are later 2-disc sets paired down to one - FOX movies for example)
Old 07-30-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DGibFen
I don't think cost wise it would work well. Not only would studios have to produce two different sets (four if they do seperate pan and scan/widescreen releases for each set), but then they would have to negoitate retail space for all four releases on the shelfs. It's easier to do one edition.

(Exceptions are later 2-disc sets paired down to one - FOX movies for example)
it is possible, they did this with american pie 2 4 versions of the same movie (wide/full, rated and unrated) so it is possible but it wouldn't be very good if every movie was like this.
Old 07-30-03, 10:20 PM
Banned

I pay for extras and I watch them. I re-bought Swingers even though the extras were kinda lame, I own Fear & Loathing Criterion because of the extras, I'm re-buying Casablanca because of the extras. Most of the time you have a choice. It seems like there aren't many movies left that haven't been re-visited.
Old 07-30-03, 10:33 PM

you can always buy vhs i guess
Old 07-31-03, 04:14 AM

You could always buy Paramount catalogue titles.
Old 07-31-03, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally posted by Avid
You could always buy Paramount catalogue titles.
but it's spelled catalog
Old 07-31-03, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As announced by DVDFile.com:

Also just announced from Rhino is perhaps the greatest movie ever made, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Getting a much-deserved new two-disc 25th Anniversary Edition due on September 23rd, this one gets a newly remastered transfer, plus extras including an audio commentary by writer and director John DeBello, co-star Steve Peace, and "Creator" Costa Dillon, deleted scenes, six exclusive featurettes, the short film "Do They Accept Travelers Checks in Babusuland?" that inspired the movie (also with commentary), the trailer and radio spots. Yikes! All this can be yours for $24.95, and movie-only version, sans the extras aside from the trailer, will also be released for $14.95.
Old 07-31-03, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The suggestion that the cost of a DVD is based on the amount of extras indicates lack of knowledge about current MSRPs. Both Paramount and Columbia-TriStar regularly issue barebones titles as high as $29.95, which is MORE than most fully-loaded recent releases.
Old 07-31-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Canadian Bacon
but it's spelled catalog
Not everyone's American.
Old 07-31-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by marty888
The suggestion that the cost of a DVD is based on the amount of extras indicates lack of knowledge about current MSRPs. Both Paramount and Columbia-TriStar regularly issue barebones titles as high as $29.95, which is MORE than most fully-loaded recent releases.
And the fact that they do it is pathetic. Sure, a great transfer is one of Paramount's strong points, but their grossly-overpriced DVDs with no extras is obscene.
Old 07-31-03, 10:17 AM

Each to his/her own I suppose. But I'm amazed you even tap into this Forum when you feel this way about extras. Extras are the reason that DVDs have captured our collective imagination.

Sure it's the movie that is the primary attraction, but the extras allow the way to really get inside the movie, part of the whole immersive experience.

God, without extras, we wouldn't even have DVDTalk.
Old 07-31-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by DVDude!
And the fact that they do it is pathetic. Sure, a great transfer is one of Paramount's strong points, but their grossly-overpriced DVDs with no extras is obscene.
Paramount's barebones catalog titles are no longer overpriced. Most of the new releases are $14.95 MSRP or less. Also, they have dropped the price on a good percentage of their previously released titles. Calling Paramount titles overpriced is no longer a valid complaint.
Old 07-31-03, 10:44 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Why did I pay for the trunk release inside my car? I've never had to use it. Or the airbags, for that matter.
Old 07-31-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
I don't care about extras anymore. For DVD's, Audio and Video are all that matter to me. If a re-release has a new transfer/mix, I'll buy it. If not, no sale.

After watching the extras, a movie is never as good for me.
Old 07-31-03, 10:53 AM

"Why should I pay for extras when I don't watch them"

For the same reason I pay for the Golf Channel with my cable subscription...it's part of the package. If I choose never, ever to watch it, I still have to pay for it. But I know a lot of people do watch it, so whatever.

BTW, I watch/listen to ALL the extras on my discs, for fun, for reference, for general knowledge. IMO, it's THE selling point for the movie geek in me!
Old 07-31-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would say that if you don't wanna pay for them, then don't. It's as simple as that. If you don't like paying high prices for extras write to the studios and tell them. That's what I'd do at least.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.