Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Any News on The House of Long Shadows Coming to DVD?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-03, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw that this old title was listed in a friend's fan magazine but with no date listed. Anybody here have any more information on this title?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-30-03, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's news, all right -- all of it bad. From the Dark Shadows website...

"Restoration efforts for Night of Dark Shadows have hit a wall. Execs at Dan Curtis Productions and myself recently made another pitch to Warners (the current owners of the two DS films) and the response was far from positive. Essentially, they doubt the financial viability of such a release and are unmoved by the sales of the MPI DS DVDs (though where they received this internal info is a mystery) or the potential marketing boost of premiering a long lost cut of the second film.

"Warners consider other titles in their catalog (which comprises all Warners/First National films, Allied Artists release, MGM prior to 1986 and others) to be much higher priority. It was also stated that just as with VHS, HODS and NODS will most likely be released on DVD eventually, but not for several years (5+ most likely) after they've given their full attentions to their other library titles. Whether Warners will fund and release the 'restored version of NODS or the theatrical cut will not be decided until then.

"Hopefully if Warners does decide to restore the film at this unspecified future date, the actors required to revoice sections of missing dialogue, will still be alive to do it.

"Efforts to track down the 5 min longer Japanese cut (featuring a deleted prologue and additional scenes and shots) of the first film, HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS have been unsuccessful. Any existing prints of this Toho/MGM version could be in the hands of Japanese collectors, but at this stage the footage is considered lost." - Darren Gross

www.nightofdarkshadows.com
Old 07-30-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks markdclark43016.
Old 07-30-03, 08:49 AM

Wow, I watched House of the Long Shadows when I was in junior high and haven't heard anything about it since...I always wondered if there would be a dvd release of it as well, but thought the movie was too obscure and that's why no one ever talked about it. Thanks for the info. I hope it gets released at some point....
Old 07-30-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Was speedy1961 asking about House of the Long Shadows (1983) with Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, and Peter Cushing, or House of Dark Shadows (1970), the Dark Shadows movie with Jonathan Frid?
Old 07-30-03, 01:21 PM

I was talking about House of the Long Shadows (1983) with VP, CL and PC. He wasn't talking about that one?? Anyway, what's the scoop on House of the Long Shadows?
Old 07-30-03, 02:07 PM

Oops, I thought he was talking about House of DARK Shadows.

Nevermind.