Community
Search

Transformers - Beast Wars: Convince me

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-03, 06:38 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transformers - Beast Wars: Convince me

So I've heard good things about Beast Wars - or at the very least have seen the fanatical following that Beast Wars commands. More so than any other Transformers series, and nearly as much as the first series.

Given all this attention lavished upon the show, and that I'm feeling a resurgence of nostalgia about Generation 1, I'm toying with the idea of picking up the boxed set coming out next month. Only toying mind you . . . unless folks here can sell me on the show.

So, I'm certainly a fan of the first series and have been enjoying the sets that Rhino has been putting out thus far. How does BW stack up? Gimmie some high points. Why should I part with my 35 bucks?
Old 07-29-03, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't really recommend myself but I am aware of the HUUUGE following this series has so it's bound to have some redeeming values.. I think.
Old 07-29-03, 08:49 PM
Cool New Member

Maybe I am not the best person to give you reasons to buy this series since I am not a true Transformer hardcore-fan (not to say that I am not a fan though), but I think my reasons are pretty good for pre-ordering the series:

1) Great stories: If you like a continuing story, Beast Wars had it. While each episode had it's individual story, it all connected with the background story. The stories are a great combination of action, drama, and humor so you won't miss a thing.

2) Great animation: The CGI animation was done by Mainframe, the same company who did Reboot, War Planets, and even the new Spider-Man series on MTV. Great stuff all around.

3) You are a G1 fan?: The stories actually take place in continuity with the G1 storyline so there are nice little tidbits that connect with the G1 universe (big time in the following seasons)

So there you have it. Maybe some will agree with me, maybe some won't. If you still have reservations, you could probably rent the first disc that Rhino put out a while ago from your video store to give you an idea. Hope it helps.
Old 07-29-03, 09:04 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
It seems like I'm one of the few who likes Beast Machines more.

I purchased the original Transformers set and it's not as good as I remember it. Oh well...
Old 07-29-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No need to convience you. if you liked gen 1, You might not like beast wars at all. I hated it and I am a die hard transfers fan.
Old 07-29-03, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
No need to convience you. if you liked gen 1, You might not like beast wars at all. I hated it and I am a die hard transfers fan.
Meh... pay no attention to that. As a Transformers fan ...well, at least until Armada ruined that... I personally think that the two greatest things ever to occur in Transformers history are the following:

Transformers: The Movie
Beast Wars: Season 3

Now, that being said, you HAVE to check out Beast Wars Season 1 and 2 as well because it's one continuous story that develops over time. And in Beast Wars the character development is SPECTACULAR with some really intelligent writing that makes you wonder why you ever thought G1 was any good. The Season 2 episode, Code of Hero, is especially one that will make you sit up and say "damn, this is a great show!"
Old 07-29-03, 11:19 PM
Banned

I hated it at first but slowly got hooked to it.

In retrospect it still think it looks like crap but it still had some really good writing.

G1 on the other hand looks good but is written for 5 year olds (No wonder we liked it back then!)

I'll never know why they decided to become animals this time around instead of machines. At least Beast Machines kind of remedied that.
Old 07-30-03, 12:09 AM
Cool New Member

Without getting too sidetracked, Beast Wars lasted 52 episodes and the series definitely got better and better up until the end which was the only let down (no more episodes). The series was continued with Beast Machines which ran for another 26 episodes I think. This series was amazing (storyline was great, CGI animation was so much better, and had one of the best soundtracks I have ever heard for a animated show). Here's hoping that after the Beast Wars run, Beast Machines is next for DVD treatment.
Old 07-30-03, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There was one episode that I remember watching that showed the original transformers in CGI. You should get it just for that.
Old 07-30-03, 06:28 AM

Alright, this post alone made me sign up for these boards because I felt I NEEDED to reply. Beast Wars... is amazing. joshualane pretty much nailed everything.

Everything about Beast Wars was just really well done. The stories were great and especially, as everyone has pointed out, the continuation of one theme over complete seasons. In fact, much of the story is developed all the way from Season One all the way into Season Three.

The Animation was amazing. The first half of the first season was a little rough, although still very well done, and the animation only gets better as the show progressed. Very impressive when created, and I can still watch it now, and not cringe if you know what I mean... like how some animation that use leading edge technology just looks awful when it's older. And I think that shows how well done the animation is... the fact that it can still look nice, and as it were meant to look even years after the fact.

The characters were great. The cast was limited on this show... somewhat due to the animation limitations, they just couldn't randomly throw characters in all the time like so many shows (like Generation 1) do. It was just too time consuming. The cast does expand, although somewhat slowly... but the cast remains small and focused. However, it turned out great because each character is actually focused on indivudually. They all become very well developed with background and relationships and everything. The writers did an excellent job of keeping the characters true to themselves throughout the show. So things that have happened in their pasts or on the show simply aren't forgotten.

The Writers also ruled... the two main writers especially. They actually had a good knowledge of Transformers history, so it connects very well, indirectly, and directly. My problem with the followup to this show is that Fox bought the series, and hired a writer who knew next to nothing of the Transformers history - and that's the way they wanted it. So the show began contridicting everything about the Transformers Universe. They kept the voices and some of the cast, but just ripped it (it being any story or character development) to shreds.

I'm not sure what else to add. It's my favorite Animated series of all time... The stories, the characters, the animation, the voices. All of it is great.

This show is leagues above anything the original Transformers show could ever dream of being story and show wise. It simply pales in comparison. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge huge fan... but the only reason someone could possibly deny this is the nostalgia factor. People so caught up with the memories that they refuse to realize it. Transformers: The Movie, and this series are defintely the highlights of the Transformers Universe.

Buy.This.Box.Set.

- Darin
Old 07-30-03, 09:16 AM
Suspended

Hmmm - it sounds like we may have a winner. Since we're so close to the ship date I probably won't get in on any of the good pre-order prices - it might be a while before I can find a good price on it. In the meantime, it sounds like a rental of the first disc might be in order. . . .
Old 07-30-03, 01:32 PM

BOXED? SET? BEAST? WARS? LINK!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need specs now!

And I swear Jay-Z sampled the beast wars intro on his track "In The Club" (...5AM in the waffle house....) Not the recent 50-Cent one, the Jay-Z one from a few years back.
Old 07-30-03, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by CuriousGeorge
BOXED? SET? BEAST? WARS? LINK!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need specs now!
Here you go, direct from the Rhino Website:
http://www.rhino.com/store/ProductDe...?Number=970187

If you like Transformers, you’re going to love Beast Wars – available for the first time in the U.S. This collectible box includes 26 original, uncut episodes plus exclusive interviews with Beast Wars writers Larry DiTillio and Bob Forward. Packaging includes a 10-page booklet and sticker sheet.
Old 08-07-03, 09:14 PM

Hey, I just checked DeepDiscount DVD, and they have a $35 Preorder on Beast Wars Season 1. That's a great deal for any of you guys who still haven't preordered. I was expecting $45 or $50, so at least good news for me, heh.

Beast Wars Season 1 - Deep Discount DVD: $35

- Darin
Old 08-07-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I never watched this series, but I've read a few episode synopsis, and as previously mentioned, I found it really interesting that it actually tied into the G1 continuity. Just from what I've heard, I bet plotwise it is easily the most watchable of all the Transformers TV shows. I loved and worshipped G1 as a kid, but I haven't bought any of the DVD sets aside from the 1st season. I can only watch the same plot of trying to get energon cubes so many times before it gets boring. I thought I might give Season 3 of G1 a chance since it had more sci-fi aspects, but I downloaded all 5 parts of the Five Faces of Darkness and watching it was a chore. Also, stay away from Robots in Disguise and Armada. Those series are just plain bad. Thankfully the later issues of the old Marvel comic series written by Simon Furman and the new Dreamwave stuff gives me the dose of Transformers that doesn't make my eyes roll back.
Old 08-28-03, 10:57 AM

I would like more opinions from people who have purchase the show. Please?