Community
Search

a little audio problem with Day of the Dead SE

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,507 Posts
a little audio problem with Day of the Dead SE

Here's a review of the upcoming Day of the Dead Special Edition from Anchor Bay:

http://www.thewebofhorror.com/dayreview.html

This part of the review is a little troubling though:

The one flaw (and here's where I reveal, if I haven't already, just how much of a dork I am-- these things will not even register on the ears of the casual viewer) in this presentation's audio comes in the form of three or four instances in which dubs from the aforementioned Japanese laserdisc can be heard. Knowing nothing of the details of this disc's production, I can only guess that the Japanese print was used for some of this transfer, and a few odds and ends of that disc's laugh-a-minute soundtrack found their way onto this DVD. No biggie.

Now here's the deal: A TV version of Day of the Dead was prepared, deleting much of the gore and redubbing practically all the dialogue due to the excessive profanity. This version was never used in the US, but this print inexplicably wound up being used for a Japanese laserdisc (the best the film had ever looked on video at that point, but still...). Now, apparently, Anchor Bay at least partially made use of that print in some way, for their new disc, causing these few instances of dubbed lines replacing profanity. I don't know how bad it is, but I'm sure it will be noticable to fanatics like myself who have the films dialogue practically memorized. Kind of bad news, but I guess I'll still be buying it.
Old 07-23-03, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will probably sound like Die Hard's Yippe kayay Mr. Falcon.

Not too excited about this DVD now.
Old 07-23-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still getting it
Old 07-23-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

rats

i hope they didn't cut anything else from the movie
Old 07-23-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
I'm unfamilar with what exactly the Japanese dub is, and find the quote from the review confusing.

Cultshock, your speculation about 'TV edit' style dialouge being cut into the movie in a few places is very troubeling. I'm going to assume that's not the case right? If audio was used from that transfer, surely it would have been lines that were the same as in the original version, right? The people who worked on this wouldn't have done somthing so stupid, right?

Looks like I better hold on to my old version of DAY OF THE DEAD until I can check the new one out.
Old 07-23-03, 08:18 PM
Cool New Member

****KK!!!!!!! same thing happened on the AB DVD of Sleepaway camp,oh well thsi is what going to happen.Once that ino leaks out into us Day Of The Dead fanatics,Anchor Bay will have one hell of a complaint..i proll know most of the lines and im sure i will notice this problem
Old 07-23-03, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
I'm unfamilar with what exactly the Japanese dub is, and find the quote from the review confusing.

Cultshock, your speculation about 'TV edit' style dialouge being cut into the movie in a few places is very troubeling. I'm going to assume that's not the case right? If audio was used from that transfer, surely it would have been lines that were the same as in the original version, right? The people who worked on this wouldn't have done somthing so stupid, right?
The confusing thing is how the review refers to the TV version as the "Japanese dub". The censored version was intended for US TV (prepared by Taurus Entertainment but never licenced for broadcast). It was never intentionally meant for the Japanese market. But this was the version that Japan Video Distribution somehow got their hands on and released on laserdisc as the "producers cut" (not sure if they were aware that this was a censored version) and for some reason, Anchor Bay at least partially used that print.

At any rate, according to the above review, there are several instances where swearing is noticably dubbed over. Someone at Anchor Bay should have caught this, but I guess someone was asleep at the switch.
Old 07-23-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Frig'.
Old 07-24-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Anchor Bay screws the pooch again.

Surprise, surprise.
Old 07-24-03, 01:41 AM
Banned

Old 07-24-03, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I have removed this and the upcoming Dawn set from DVDAf wishlist. Maybe if AB fixes it, I'll pick it up. Until then, I'll be content with my Elite NOTLD.
Old 07-24-03, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SergeantPinback
What he said.
Old 07-24-03, 08:39 AM

these things will not even register on the ears of the casual viewer
If this line has any truth to it at all I'll have no problem with the disc. I like the movie but I'm not so much of a fanatic that I'll let a few overdubbed lines ruin it for me. Oh well, stuff happens.
Old 07-24-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Anchor Bay shoes the pooch again.

Surprise, surprise.
The above post has been edited for broadcast.
Old 07-24-03, 11:46 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Still picking it up (Only seen Day 2-3 times, so I wouldn't notice). As long as they don't dub/erase the classic Dawn quote, I'll be fine.
Old 07-24-03, 11:56 AM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Anchor Bay screws the pooch again.

Surprise, surprise.
I believe it's a requirement that at least once a year they botch something in the most asinine way possible.

I think I need to print this thread so I can stop explaining why I have multiple versions of the same movie.
Old 07-24-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Pac-Rat
I think I need to print this thread so I can stop explaining why I have multiple versions of the same movie.

Good idea. I'm giving the printout to my wife with the next Amex bill.
Old 07-24-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm still going to buy it. I don't own either Dawn or Day on DVD, and have wanted them for so long.
Old 07-24-03, 01:02 PM

The dubs being in a different voice, even casual fans will notice. The abbreviated gunshots, probably not. AB really blew it, I'll take the old DVD instead.

I wonder how Dawn will be changed?
Old 07-24-03, 01:18 PM

Just found another review over at http://dvdmaniacs.net/

Iīm not bothered by it. Just canīt wait to get my hands on
an SE of Day. Waited long enough for that baby.

ILSA
Old 07-24-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RE: "Asinine"

The fact people that are cancelling their pre-orders without even hearing/seeing ANY of the disc for themselves should have people pausing to rethink the definition of the word.
Old 07-24-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
At the very least, it should give people a reason to wait until the disc is actually released and reviewed before running out and buying it.

Ever since the big e-tailer crash (before, places like BigStar would offer a bigger discount on pre-orders), there's no longer any incentives to pre-order.
Old 07-24-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama
RE: "Asinine"

The fact people that are cancelling their pre-orders without even hearing/seeing ANY of the disc for themselves should have people pausing to rethink the definition of the word.
I don't see how this is 'asinine' at all. Perhaps you aren't considering the definition of pre-order -- buying something sight unseen.

Canceling a preorder doesn't mean 'never going to buy'. It just means 'not going to buy before reading more reviews and/or seeing/hearing these issues for myself'. I think that's the exact opposite of asinine, when there are apparently issues with the disc.
Old 07-24-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bboisvert
I don't see how this is 'asinine' at all. Perhaps you aren't considering the definition of pre-order -- buying something sight unseen.

Canceling a preorder doesn't mean 'never going to buy'. It just means 'not going to buy before reading more reviews and/or seeing/hearing these issues for myself'. I think that's the exact opposite of asinine, when there are apparently issues with the disc.
How long have you been a fan of movies? Or are you just another format fan (in this case DVD)?
Considering that I have been collecting movies for over a quarter of a century, I've bought eveything from VHS, Beta, RCA Videodisc, Laserdisc, DVD, D-VHS and just about every other format that's been available for home consumption (and some that haven't), and I've bought many titles several times.
Never once did I have the nerve to piss and moan about "this is no the definitive version, and therefore I'll boycott.." blah blah.
Do you realize how many inferior, pan & scan, dubbed atrocities I've had to sit through just because I wanted to see the damn movie???
Ok, that's a loaded question as you have no idea or desire to know what my viewing habits are. Fair enough.

I guess I'm just sick and tired of the knee-jerk reactions that are so prevelant today, due the damned internet. Some schmuck in Peoria thinks he heard a mouse fart in the rear channel French 2.0 track, and now every Joe DVD Guru&copy that prowls the internet forums is demanding a re-pressing, because his $20 entitles him to nothing else then absolute perfection in every single facet. Puh-leeze.

**** the film, it's all about the polish on the package ain't it, bub?
Old 07-24-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unfortunately, DVD has really spoiled us. I remember the old days when I had to get 6th generation grey market videos just to see a hard to get film I was interested in. I first saw Day of the Dead over 15 years ago on a heavily censored video tape (Ontario was very censorous towards violence back then) and I was happy enough just to finally see the film.

Its great to finally be able to watch films in our own living room that look and sound as good as or better than they did in theatres. So, I can live with a few imperfections and mistakes here and there, because its still way better than the crappy videos I used to collect.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.