Search

Tom and Jerry: The Complete Set to be released on DVD in 2004

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tom and Jerry: The Complete Set to be released on DVD in 2004

According to: http://www.tomandjerryonline.com/index2.cfm

Good News on the DVD front! I was searching around for any info on the DVD, checking some of the animation new sites and found this chat session that was held at the Home Theater Forum... http://www.hometheaterforum.com/files/warner03.txt

The chat has a lot of information about Warner Brothers releases on DVD and on of the questions posed is about the Tom and Jerry DVD's. The response is near the middle of the chat session. So to save you the search for it (unless you are really interested in some of the forthcoming DVD release and even if you are not read the whole thing)..Anyway, this is Warner Brothers response to the question:

TOM & JERRY collections will arrive with uncut, complete theatrical version cartoons starting next year. This will include all the cartoons made by Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera for MGM between 1940-1957.

------------

After all the hoopola these past years, are we to actually believe they've had a change of heart over the issues with the black maid, silent cannibals, etc? I'll wait before I start believing.
Old 07-23-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Re: Tom and Jerry: The Complete Set to be released on DVD in 2004

Originally posted by Buttmunker

After all the hoopola these past years, are we to actually believe they've had a change of heart over the issues with the black maid, silent cannibals, etc? I'll wait before I start believing.

Yeah - I think you should put quotes around Complete.
Old 07-23-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pray that the home video company has decided AGAINST any alterations. At the very least they can put the unaltered cartoons they are 'uncomfortable' about on separate discs, so the knee-jerk P.C. parents can avoid them.
Old 07-23-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Tom and Jerry: The Complete Set to be released on DVD in 2004

TOM & JERRY collections will arrive with uncut, complete theatrical version cartoons starting next year. This will include all the cartoons made by Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera for MGM between 1940-1957.

------------

Yep, we will wait and see!! Golden rule is never trust big corporations when they say "uncut".

Hopefully we'll have Jerry yell out "peel da potatoes" and the black maid with her broken up English intact and awesome quality on DVD!!
Old 07-23-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have the Tom & Jerry: Whiskers Away DVD that WB put out. is it me, or are the intro's to the episodes modified? i don't remember seeing brightly colored borders during the MGM introduction on the LD releases?? did they put the border in all of their recent TJ compilations, and if so, why?
Old 07-23-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Just saw this on Amazon. But for $29.00?
Old 07-23-03, 02:39 PM

When did they change the maid's animation? I'm only 22, and I've seen at least a few episodes with her. "TOOOOOOOOOM-AASSSS!"
Old 07-23-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Just saw this on Amazon. But for $29.00?
That's probably a new set of some of the exisiting T&J DVDs.
Old 07-23-03, 04:47 PM

Yeah! It probably is something like the two Tom and Jerry feature films being repackaged in a cardbox set or something like that.
Old 07-23-03, 07:02 PM

Cut-um da carrot!

Cut-um potato!

Hold the onions.
Old 07-23-03, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is this the cartoon that rips-off Itchy and Scratchy?
Old 07-23-03, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Aphex Twin
Is this the cartoon that rips-off Itchy and Scratchy?
Yes, and The Wizard of Oz rips off Saving Private Ryan.
Old 07-23-03, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tacomantt
Yes, and The Wizard of Oz rips off Saving Private Ryan.
literally
Old 07-23-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The current T&J DVDs are simply TV transfers. Nothing more, nothing less.

The upcoming Looney Tunes DVDs are going to be uncut, so if the same people work on the Tom & Jerry sets, they'll be fine...

Except that I want to see "The Complete Gene Deitch Tom & Jerry" !
Old 07-24-03, 12:53 AM

Will these be the same as the tom and jerry dvds that hkflix.com is selling? link
Old 07-24-03, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by PatrickMcCart
The current T&J DVDs are simply TV transfers. Nothing more, nothing less.

The upcoming Looney Tunes DVDs are going to be uncut, so if the same people work on the Tom & Jerry sets, they'll be fine...

Except that I want to see "The Complete Gene Deitch Tom & Jerry" !
While it might be true the Looney Tunes DVDs will be uncut won’t they also be “selective”?
Old 07-24-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Class316
While it might be true the Looney Tunes DVDs will be uncut won’t they also be “selective”?
Exactly. It's easy to make a claim of 'uncut' when you are not including controversial cartoons on your set. When "Bugs Nips the Nips" shows up, then I'll believe...
Old 07-24-03, 10:17 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by SlangNRocks
Will these be the same as the tom and jerry dvds that hkflix.com is selling? link
Probably not going to be the same. There are 114 shorts from the first series(non Jones or Deitch). The HK set only has 94 which is not quite complete.
Old 07-27-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just want to know if the "Dicky Moe" episode is going to be included.
Old 07-27-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was born in 1970, and for many, many years, I was under a wrong impression about Tom and Jerry cartoons. I thought, because I saw the 1975 version of Tom and Jerry (where Jerry wore that gay red bow tie and they were friends), they were the first original Tom and Jerry cartoons. On the flip side, I thought the theatrical versions were the ones that came afterward. I thought this because... I was under the impression that we were in a progressive era, and that everything people did would get better, not worse. Since the Hanna/Barbera theatrical shorts were so superior, I thought they came after the Hanna/Barbera 1975 TV version.

I soon learned better. And I was shocked at how progress would have made a turn for the worse. But that's beside the point.

Dicky Moe, and that entire era of Tom and Jerry, is adequate for any other cartoon. But not for Tom and Jerry. Deitch didn't have to capitalize on the Tom and Jerry franchise (neither did Chuck Jones, for that matter) to have a successful cartoon series. They could have made up new characters for their stories. With that said, the Deitch and Jones versions of Tom and Jerry should not be included, and I am confident they will not. After all, there would be nothing to cut from them, as they were all TV-friendly when they were first aired.

And I hated that white guy for kicking the crap out of Tom. I felt really bad for him.

Last edited by Buttmunker; 07-27-03 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-27-03, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I Vhope mgm/warner releases the entire mgm cartoon liberery including the "red hot riding hood trillogy" that cartoon network banned for being too sexual, and the short about the airplane family.
Old 07-27-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
As I read the descriptions about how this DVD will be uncut I keep thinking of the four words Tom actually spoke in a deep voice on two occasions in the old series:

"Don't you believe it!"
Old 07-27-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
As I read the descriptions about how this DVD will be uncut I keep thinking of the four words Tom actually spoke in a deep voice on two occasions in the old series:

"Don't you believe it!"
Very well put!!
Old 07-27-03, 08:42 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
very sad

I find some of this thread very disconcerting. While I am a fan of Tom in Jerry in general, there is absolutely no denying that many of the early shorts were blatantly racist and offensive to anyone who isn't "white."

It is a sad comment on our civilization that even in this so-called enlightened era, I am not reading "I hope they will not be including those racist versions" but instead " I hope they WILL be including those racist versions".

Why are people so angry at not being able to see material that offends literally 75% of the worlds' population?

I humbly ask anyone who is so bent on having the "complete and uncut" versions and to-hell-with-pc-parents to watch these films sitting next to a Black person. Maybe seeing their pain, humiliation and anger at seeing themselves portrayed as cannibals, buffoons, etc. in these shorts might change your opinion.

I am not for censorship. But if these horrible reminders of how our racist country was not-to-long-ago must be preserved, then I hope there will be sufficient introductory/warnings/historical perspective on these DVDs - not only for parents, but to protect our next generation whom I fear is reversing the civil rights clock.

BTW- in a semi-related note, this is how Fox is handling the Charlie Chan dilemma. Understanding that these films - though well done - are offensive to Asians, they will not be showing these on TV but will release them only on DVD with a introduction/ historical perspective. I am convinced that is the only way to release these films. So, perhaps, DVD can satisfy both the purist and those that care about civil rights at the same time.

Thank you.
Old 07-27-03, 09:10 PM
Suspended

The simple solution to this, cinemaman, is to release both an "UNCUT" and a "CUT" version much the same way as "RATED" and "UNRATED". That way, everyone is happy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.