Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Disney's "the Absent Minded Professor" trade in...?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. So here's what happened.

Back when they were released, I ordered all of the Walt Disney Film Classics: [the Absent Minded Professor, the Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again, Gus, & the Computer Wore Tennis Shoes]. After I recieved them, I gave Disney a call to voice my disappointment that these movies were released FULL FRAME and, in the case of the Absent Minded Professor, COLORIZED. The operator I spoke with was very friendly and we discussed 'ol school Disney vs the new stuff. She asked me if I wanted to return the Absent Minded Professor and I asked her if there was another version coming out/due out. She said no. I asked her if it was possible that she could put a note in the computer [i'm in their computer ] stating that I was not satisfied with the DVD and would like to "trade up" if there was a CORRECT version released.

Fast forward to ten mintues ago. I called and told this new operator the story above and asked her if it was true that they were going to release it CORRECTLY. She said yes and that it was due out in September. She then checked in the computer and found the note that the previous operator left and told me that she'd send a pre-paid postage envelope for me to send the OLD release back and when the new one was released, they'd mail it to me.

So, right now i'm and thought i'd pass this along. I don't know if it'll work for everyone [since we, for the most part, are usually WELL INFORMED about DVD specs thanks to sites like this and UltimateDisney.com...and if we DO choose to buy it, it's at our own peril], but if it does, i'm hoping the sheer number of people wanting to "trade up" would send a flag up letting execs know to get it RIGHT the FIRST time..*

YMMV. Good luck!

* Yes, I do realize that I could've been shady and tried to return it at any number of B&Ms, but this way is

Last edited by Rogue588; 07-22-03 at 04:23 PM.
    Old 07-22-03, 04:03 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
    Nice..
    Old 07-22-03, 04:09 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
    [Cartman]sweeeaatt.[/Cartman]
    Old 07-22-03, 07:52 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
    I thought you were going to be going off on Disney saying they should upgrade your pan and scan colorized version because it's the right thing to do, and I was going to have you hose you down and cool you off because that just doesn't happen.

Well.

I'll be a monkey's uncle.