Community
Search

Wait for Matrix Trilogy box set?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-03, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Fed-Ex Pope
Why wait a year(s) to save a few dollars to avoid a double dip
Why wait? Well, I think it will just be nice to have the complete trilogy together in a nice boxset...And its not like the Matrix trilogy is the only quality DVD release around, my wish list is extensive enough as it is, so I will have plenty of DVDS to spend my money on until then.
Old 07-14-03, 08:29 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

I'll be picking up Reloaded on release week. I already have The Matrix and would replace it if a special edition comes along but I have no desire to wait for a film just to get the cardboard case they're packaged in. And surely Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. will give this a good release week price.
Old 07-14-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Wait for Matrix Trilogy box set?

Originally posted by vivarey
Are you planning on purchasing the Matrix Reloaded DVD on Oct 14, or will you wait for a potential super-mega collector's edition box set?
I really can't wait that long!

Gotta pick this one up the day it's out. Then if a better release comes along with some worthwhile features (which it almost certainly will, given what the Wachowski's have been saying), then I'll pick that up too and eBay my older editions.

Not unknown for Warner to stick DTS on their SEs - e.g. Robin Hood Prince of Thieves SE has DTS (although granted it's not a very good soundtrack). I think it's highly likely we'll see DTS on a whizzbang Matrix re-release.
Old 07-14-03, 08:46 PM

No, I'll be buying Reloaded and Revolutions when they are released. &nbsp I see no reason to wait a year or more just for a piece of cardboard.
Old 07-14-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by BigPete
Dobtful ... Warner said never.
Not necessarily in region one...

But that's ok, 'cause we all know that it's the mixing, not the codec, that makes the sound really shine.
Normally, I'd agree with you. But after reading the reviews of Blade's dts track on the japanese disc, and a fair few other reviews of newer releases in dts, I'm no longer on the fence between the two. 99% of the time, I like dts better. The Matrix could do with a cleaned-up soundtrack, considering how far technology has come in four years; the present DVD is great, but if it's getting a rerelease, they might as well improve it. I think a dts-es 6.1 track would do just that.

One might say, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. But it looks like Warner's is 'fixing' something that isn't broken anyway - might as well do the best job possible on a new classic.
Old 07-14-03, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have re-purchased The Matrix once already (I got the Matrix/Revisited box for 22.99, with the Reloaded ticket offer and 5$ rebate for Animatrix.) I was able to give the original disc to my brother.

I picked up the Animatrix set with the soundtrack for 19 (minus the 5$ rebate) and even managed to get the patch with it, so I am set on that. Presumably, the Animatrix won't be part of the rumored box set.

I figure I will wait till after Revolutions to purchase Reloaded and Revolutions on DVD, since there may indeed be a box set, including a new version of Matrix. I lika da boxes.
Old 07-15-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want what was done with 'Austin Powers' set. All three were done with color keep cases in a set after 'Goldmember' came out on DVD. I got rid of the first 2 snappers and got the entire set. To me it's worth it. I don't like waiting, I buy the first 2 in the 'Used DVD' market and trade them back when the collectors keep set comes around. Because of all the F/X these types of movies have a lot of replay value with me and though I saw it in the theatre I know I missed a lot of the end conversation in the mainframe. I need subtitles and slow-mo to see everything and I'll damned if I wait a year or 2 for it.
Old 07-15-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Plus they might throw in a special additional disk like they've done with Indy and Godfather.
Old 07-15-03, 11:42 AM

I'm buying them as they come out (already own the first) and I don't like to double-dip. However, if they released a box set five years from now with Wachowski commentary I'd be all over it. Any box set they release in the next couple years I'm sure won't be the final ultimate edition though so I'm just sticking with the first releases as long as the picture and sound quality is good (which it should be).
Old 07-15-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by C Roberts
Any box set they release in the next couple years I'm sure won't be the final ultimate edition though so I'm just sticking with the first releases as long as the picture and sound quality is good (which it should be).
Is any box set released these days the real "final FINAL" edition?
Old 07-15-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally - I'll be buying Reloaded on October 14 as a primer for November 5.
Old 07-15-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by spankyj
Personally - I'll be buying Reloaded on October 14 as a primer for November 5.
Me too
Old 07-15-03, 07:49 PM

Here's to hoping the box set uses the excellent posters for reloaded and simply modify the name for the first and third:

Disc 1 is Morpheus

Disc 2 is Trinity

Disc 3 is Neo

A bonus disc could be Agent Smith

hey design group for warner: less is more.
Old 07-16-03, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice idea using the movie posters!
Old 07-16-03, 11:49 AM

I think that Reloaded will probably be in the 10-14 dollar range on release day, so most will probably get it even if there is a special edition trilogy in the works.
Old 07-16-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I already have The Matrix and reloaded should be good price on release day, so I will not need a box set. How much more could they put in the Box set that we do not already have.
Old 07-16-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by Iron_Giant
How much more could they put in the Box set that we do not already have.
Better picture quality
DTS track (which I know won't happen)
better commentary
Old 07-16-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by lisadoris
Better picture quality
DTS track (which I know won't happen)
better commentary
I just hope they make "Reloaded" have the highest bit rate possible from a Perfect HD Master and some good extras (Deleted sceens, commentaries, making of, preview for next movie...). But, if they give us all this, there will be no need for a box set.
Old 07-16-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm waiting for a box set. i know plenty of people that are getting reloaded on oct. 15, and i should have no problem borrowing it from them whenever i want to watch it.
Old 07-17-03, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Furio
I think that Reloaded will probably be in the 10-14 dollar range on release day, so most will probably get it even if there is a special edition trilogy in the works.
0I doubt it'll go for less than 17.99 at the bigger chains. They'll probably have a 2 for $25 think with the original, though.
Old 07-17-03, 01:44 AM
Suspended

Will buy the next two once they come out and give all three away when the box set comes out. Muahahha
Old 07-17-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Furio
Maybe with coupons, but I don't see stores listing it at ten dollars.

I'd guess it will be around fifteen.
Old 07-17-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will most likely wait for the set. My brother will pick up the individual disc so I will just borrow from him until the set comes out.
Old 07-17-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Originally posted by TopHatCat64
Here's to hoping the box set uses the excellent posters for reloaded and simply modify the name for the first and third:

Disc 1 is Morpheus

Disc 2 is Trinity

Disc 3 is Neo

A bonus disc could be Agent Smith

hey design group for warner: less is more.
How could they show less? They've already cut off their heads!
Old 07-17-03, 12:46 PM

exactly, half heads = cool.

Boxsets/Special Editions tend to go minimal so hopefully they look something clean like that. IE: T2 Ultimate Edition, FOTR Extended Edition, The Mummy Collection, etc.

Plus its hard to have the big head syndrome when half of it is gone

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.