The Movies Begin 5 disc set and Landmarks Of Early Film Vol. 1

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-03, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering buying the The Movies Begin 5 disc set of very early films, and I know the Landmarks Of Early Film Vol. 2 - The Magic Of Melies disc is included in the set, but I'm not sure if the Landmarks Of Early Film Vol. 1 disc is in the set, either as the exact disc or at least all the films on that disc or spread out on the other discs. Does anyone have the Landmarks Of Early Film volume 1 disc?

This page on silentera.com has the exact contents of the 5 discs in the The Movies Begin set:

http://www.silentera.com/DVD/moviesBeginDVD.html

But their page for the Landmarks of Early Film vol. 1 disc doesn't have a complete list of all the films on the disc like for the set (http://www.silentera.com/DVD/landmar...yFilm1DVD.html).

I've searched a little bit on the net for a list, but I haven't found a complete listing of landmarks vol. 1. Before buying the set I want to make sure that it has all the films that are on the Landmarks of Early Film Vol. 1 disc. I think maybe the first disc of the set, The Great Train Robbery and Other Primary Works is actually the same disc as Landmarks Vol. 1, but I don't know this (although I doubt they'd include stuff on the landmarks disc that isn't in the box set).

Can anyone confirm whether or not all the films in the landmark vol. 1 disc are in the box set, either as a copy of the disc or spread out over the discs?

Also, does anyone know where I can get the best price for the set? The best I've found is deepdiscountdvd which has it for 70 with free shipping (but I've never ordered from there and although it doesn't say it's out of stock I wouldnt be surprised).

Thanks in advance for any information on this.
Old 07-14-03, 07:53 AM
Defunct Account

I bought both "Landmarks Of Early Film" volumes before the box set was released. As you surmise, everything on the "Landmarks Of Early Film" DVDs IS in the box set. Volume 2 is presented in whole, and volume 1 is scattered over the other 4 discs.

I'm much too lazy to type in all 40 films, so I'll cut and paste the content from Volume One and relate it to where it appears in the Movies Begin box set.

Movies Begin Volume one has these films that appear on "Landmarks Of Early Film Volume One:"

Homage to Eadweard Muybridge (197?); Edison shorts The May Irwin Kiss [The Kiss] (1896), two versions Serpentine Dance (1895, c. 1896), Sandow (1894), Glenroy Bros. (Comic Boxing) (1894), Cock Fight (1896), The Barber Shop (1894), Feeding the Doves (1896) and Seminary Girls (1897); Lumiere Brothers’ Dragoons Crossing the Sâone (no. 186), Promenade of Ostriches (no. 4), Childish Quarrel (no. 82), Lion - London Zoological Garden (no. 54), Transformation by Hats (no. 105), Carmaux: Drawing Out the Coke (no. 122), Poultry-Yard (no. 14), New York: Broadway and Union Square (no. 328), Le Voyage dans la lune [A Trip to the Moon] (1902); actualities President McKinley at Home (1897), Pack Train on Chilkoot Pass (1898), Skyscrapers of New York from North River (1903), San Francisco: Aftermath of Earthquake (1906), The Dog and His Various Merits (1908), Airplane Flight and Crash (1910); The Great Train Robbery (1903); I.B. Dam and the Whole Dam Family (1905); and Le Scarab’ee d’Or [The Golden Beetle] (1907).

Volume two has:

Lumiere Brothers’ Sortie d’Usine [Leaving the Factory] (1895) third version, Repas de Bébé [The Baby's Meal], L’Arroseur Arrosé [The Sprinkler Sprinkled] (1895), Démolition d’un Mur [Demolition of a Wall] (1895), Bataille de Boules de Neige [Snowball Fight] (1896), Partie d’Écarte [Card Party] (1895).

Volume 5 has:

The Policemen’s Little Run (1907), Troubles of a Grasswidower (1908), Nero; or, The Fall of Rome (1909), Winsor McCay, the Famous Cartoonist of the N.Y. Herald and His Moving Comics (1911), D.W. Griffith’s The Girl and Her Trust (1912), Bangville Police (1913).

All in all, both sets are great. I would have upgraded, but there is not a huge amount that isn't on the two DVD set. On Volume one, you are only missing about a dozen shorts, are only two shorts on Disc Five that are not in the "Landmarks" sets. Of course, all of volume 3, and a good half of Volume two isn't in the 2 disc set. If you are on a buget, I'd reccomend the "Landmark" DVDs, but if you are a compleatist, the box set is the way to go. In any case, if you are intersted in early movies, these are both WONDERFUL sets. It's not like you can see this stuff anyplace else. It will never be shown on TV and even art house movioe theaters wouldn't screen this stuff. Well worth the price!

Hope this helps!

-Videophile
Old 07-14-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by cloudnin
Also, does anyone know where I can get the best price for the set? The best I've found is deepdiscountdvd which has it for 70 with free shipping (but I've never ordered from there and although it doesn't say it's out of stock I wouldnt be surprised).
I think DDD is the cheapest at $70 shipped. If an item from them is out of stock, you get a message in your cart as soon as you add it.

Since there is no such message with this set, it's in stock and should ship quickly. (Although keep in mind that DDD uses media mail for their free shipping, so delivery usually takes a week or more.)

I can't recommend this set highly enough. I've gone through the entire thing twice since it came out. Facinating (and fun!) stuff.
Old 07-14-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Digital Eyes has The Movies Begin for $59.95 shipped (choose free media mail).
Old 07-25-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks Dimension X. Ordered at Digital Eyes and used the new user coupon IAMNEW to get $5 off making my order $54.95. I've been wanting this set for some time but the >$70 price at most sites put it out of reach. Best price I've seen for this set.