Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

How can people sell bootlegs of films at the flea market?

Community
Search

How can people sell bootlegs of films at the flea market?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-03, 08:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by onephatplanet
All I can say is... the people who are bootlegging are very foolish. They will be caught eventually, all of them. The reason nothing is being done about them at this point is the police are cracking down more on other forms of piracy, like mp3's with music or illegal software cracks. I guess movies aren't on their top priority list right now. Movies that are bootlegged aren't usually that great of quality anyways. Almost makes the DVD well worth it.

-onephatplanet
LOL

Wishful thinking.
Old 07-17-03, 03:13 AM

To be honest, I've always been and always will be an advocate of bootlegging. Mind you, I would never buy a movie that is currently in theaters, but I do think I morally defensible to download or buy a movie that I've already paid to see. If I knew where to get them at decent prices (flea markets in Arizona suck), I would most certainly pick up a copy of the Original Trilogy, Song of the South and other such unreleased and unseeable movies. Once a production is put into the public domain, it ought to be readily available for the viewing public to access and watch. The same goes for documents, books, music, and art. What George Lucas and others have done is essentially ban the viewing of something that belongs to all of us, through our childhoods and memories.

Anyways, I'm hungry...
Old 07-17-03, 09:45 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Rockybalboa
One other factor on these "dvd's", most are such terrible quality, usually done with Digital Cams, colors are washed out, or they use the screener videotapes, and make "dvd's" from them.

Now, if the quality was exactly like the store bought ones, I would think more action would be taken, most times, these people lose all their customers with horrible product.
The only bootleg DVD of an in-theater movie I've bought (Ice Age) was a camcordered SVCD burned onto a DVD-R. Sound was terrible. About what I expected.
Old 07-17-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't remember what show it was, but last night I was watching some new magazine show and it said that bootleg copies that are sold on the street are sold to support terrorism.
Old 07-17-03, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jonny2k1
I don't remember what show it was, but last night I was watching some new magazine show and it said that bootleg copies that are sold on the street are sold to support terrorism.
Oh Jebus. Seems that lately, everything one does ends up supporting terrorisms,...if we are to believe some media reports. Wasn't there a commercial a few months ago that people who drove SUV's were supporting terrorism?
Old 07-17-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
... Ok, Now I'm afraid to ask what they will link to next with terrorism. I'm sure you can actually say that the Politics in this country lead to terrorism. Plenty of funding is given to a once friend, now enemy so to say Bootlegs help terrorism is just stupid. Another scare tactic from the fine folks at the RIAA, MPAA, etc. Don't believe the hype.. but also on that note, don't support pirates. If your going to get the stuff, don't pay others to do so.