Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Anamorphic Babe!!! (you know, the pig movie)

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Due Sept 23 with a MSRP of $19.98, Universal will finally street with a new special edition reissue of Babe, available in both Widescreen and Fullscreen formats. Babe 2 will also be re-released, unchanged from before at a price of $19.98, and a two-pack will be available for $29.98.
Old 07-05-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That'll do.
Old 07-05-03, 05:44 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm peeved they aren't going to do anything with Babe 2, but good news indeed for the original.
Old 07-05-03, 05:47 PM
Mod Emeritus

BTW: I think I'll keep my DTS Babe. It's pretty OOP and when I owned the region 2 Babe in OAR, it showed that the film isn't hard matted to 1.85 and the sound is pretty good.
Old 07-05-03, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
BTW: I think I'll keep my DTS Babe. It's pretty OOP and when I owned the region 2 Babe in OAR, it showed that the film isn't hard matted to 1.85 and the sound is pretty good.
Aren't all of the title cards screwed up (cut off) on the current vesions?
Old 07-05-03, 05:58 PM
Mod Emeritus

Pete, nope. The only problem was some tilting stuff. There's a tiny bit of missing info, but anamorphic will be the ****. Hopefully it's a fresh transfer that's up to today's standards.

Still bummed about PitC getting the shaft though. That was my favorite movie of 98, with Lebowski close behind. The transfer isn't bad on a normal tv, but blown up to 90 inches it's missing tons of detail (similar to the Bug's Life transfer which doesn't compare to Shrek or Monster's Inc transfers).
Old 07-05-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmm ... I wonder why the version I watched on tv was cropped then ...

Better info from DavisDVD:

Also announced is a new special edition reissue of Babe. The talking pig movie also will be available in separate 1.85:1 anamorphic and fullscreen versions, each with Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1 Surround, and extras TBA. Look for its underrated sequel Babe: Pig in the City also to be reissued, only with the same specs as before (anamorphic & fullscreen transfers, DD 5.1 audio, theatrical trailer). All are due on September 23rd for $19.98 apiece. A Babe: The Complete Adventures 2-Movie Pig Pack will also be available for $29.98
Old 07-05-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great news!

The only problem I see with this is that it's yet another September release. I probably won't get to buy it for a while, because other September releases already have me broke.
Old 07-05-03, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man.. they re-release Babe in widescreen but not Happy Gilmore?

Not a knock on Babe mind you.. just.. Universal.. poop.
Old 07-05-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
(similar to the Bug's Life transfer which doesn't compare to Shrek or Monster's Inc transfers).
It isn't so much that the transfers don't compare (all three are direct digital-to-digital transfers from the original animation files). It's that there is three years of technological and artistic development between "A Bug's Life" and the other two.

Back on topic, this is great news! "Babe" is one of the last titles I've been waiting patiently to replace on VHS. I refused to waste my money supporting Universal's previous pan-and-scan release.
Old 07-05-03, 11:12 PM
Mod Emeritus

Salty, I see what you're saying, but having seen Bug's Life in the theater, the quality of the DVD doesn't match up with the theater quality versus the quality of the Shrek at the theater and the DVD quality. I think technologically they are getting more details out of transfers today than they did 2 years ago regardless of D-to-D transfer.

The Pig in the City anamorphic transfer isn't very good on a big screen and would be nice to see a new SE of it, with DTS and extras, and a new transfer. Unfortunately I think Universal sees it as a sore spot since the movie got the Universal president fired and lost a crapload of money (A Bug's Life slaughtered Babe that weekend).