Community
Search

Glitch in Gangs of New York??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glitch in Gangs of New York??

I was watching my GONY DVD yesterday and notice 2 very distinct glitches.

DVD 1:

13:37 - This is the very begining and is when Amsterdam takes his dads knife and strikes towards the Natives. It kind of freezes a bit when he stabs towards the screen. Any body see this or have this on their DVD? Is it a glitch or a camera trick from Martin S.?? Than right after when he runs back into the Brewery being chased, one of the Natives is hit accross the legs and trips. The scene appears to jump or skip as well.

1:10:15 - This is during the part when Amserdam is with Jen on the pier and kissing. The camera shakes a bit, or jumps. It looks a little like a skip but Im not too sure.

Theres also another part and I forgot to note the time, but its on DVD 2 when Bill is doing the Exhibition for everyone. When hes talking and they show him at a close up, he moves fast and erratic, but his mouth follows along with his speech. So Im not sure if this is one of those stupid camera tricks again.

I know alot of people had to have gotten this DVD, so can someone out there help me out? Its apprecciated.

Thanks
Old 07-05-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Glitch in Gangs of New York??

Originally posted by Ravenous
[B]I was watching my GONY DVD yesterday and notice 2 very distinct glitches.

DVD 1:

13:37 - This is the very begining and is when Amsterdam takes his dads knife and strikes towards the Natives. It kind of freezes a bit when he stabs towards the screen. Any body see this or have this on their DVD? Is it a glitch or a camera trick from Martin S.?? Than right after when he runs back into the Brewery being chased, one of the Natives is hit accross the legs and trips. The scene appears to jump or skip as well.
I'm actually watching it right now (took a little break) and noticed the same thing in that section of the movie, assumed it was a camera trick of some kind done for effect.
Old 07-05-03, 04:17 PM

RL?
Old 07-05-03, 05:28 PM

Ahhh.. well thats a bit assuring. See what you can catch in the rest of the movie Dude.

Whats RL?
Old 07-05-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I noticed the same thing on our viewing of a rental. It wasn't related to layer change and was very distracting.
Old 07-05-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw it too. I just assumed it was a camera trick since the audio stays synced up and doesn't skip with the picture.
Old 07-05-03, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If I remember correctly, there were some spots in the theatrical release where it looked like a frame was missing. I just chalked this up to a bad reel since I saw it in the budget theatre. Hope that rests some minds...
Old 07-06-03, 03:18 AM

Hmmmm....

Well as anyone noticed this yet:
1:10:15 - This is during the part when Amserdam is with Jen on the pier and kissing. The camera shakes a bit, or jumps. It looks a little like a skip but Im not too sure.

Or is it just my copy? I kinda need to know so I can either return this for a better copy or something.
Old 07-06-03, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Speaking of this DVD, has anyone noticed how when you click on "Special Features" or "Sneak Peaks" or whatever, it shows a little graphic but then abruptly goes black. Is this a problem with my copy or something that's a real issue? I'm not sure how else to explain it, you'll know if your disc does it though, I'm sure. Anyone?

K
Old 07-06-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Also, during the fight at the beginning, there is some pounding techno-like music playing in the background that seems out of place. I don't think this is a glitch though.
Old 07-06-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The freeze frame at 13:37 was definately in the theater.
Old 07-06-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Cornelius1047
Speaking of this DVD, has anyone noticed how when you click on "Special Features" or "Sneak Peaks" or whatever, it shows a little graphic but then abruptly goes black. Is this a problem with my copy or something that's a real issue? I'm not sure how else to explain it, you'll know if your disc does it though, I'm sure. Anyone?

K
So is anyone else experiencing this?

K
Old 07-06-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes the screen cuts to black very abruptly on the menu transistions.
Old 07-06-03, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Cornelius1047

K
Yeah, I noticed this as well. It's almost as annoying as the full screen trailer on there. Does anyone else feel this seems to be a rush job? Maybe it's just me and I expected a FANTASTIC set, but I'm not nearly as happy with this as I thought I would be.
Old 07-06-03, 06:03 PM

I had a few problems on the second disc with freezing and pixelating...like a delaminating disc does at a layer change. it does it on all of my players...taking it back in for an exchange. aside from that...my only real gripe is...I just didnt care for the film all that much. D.D.Lewis was the only bright spot for me. I dont think watching it again will change my opinion....but I'll save that for movietalk.