Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Where to get paper? What type?

Old 07-01-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to print my own covers, my printer is decent enough to get the job done. Where can I get 8 1/2" x 14" photo? paper?

I browsed the FAQ's and found no info on this. Thanks!
Old 07-01-03, 11:44 PM

I ordered Epson Stylus paper (product #S041067). It's legal sized and offers sharp colors. Works great for me.

I believe I ordered it online from a computer supply store. If I can find the address, I'll post it.

Gary
Old 07-02-03, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's hard finding legal-sized photo paper, but there are some available to be had. You can also buy a roll and cut your own sheets (which is nice for if you need an oversized cover that exceeds even legal-size dimensions). As far as finding an etailer, Amazon is a good place to start - I've scored some pretty elusive computer accessories from them.
Old 07-02-03, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ah, how I hearken back to when Hewlett-Packard were giving out free sample ROLLS of the stuff...
Old 07-02-03, 07:39 AM

Here's a tip on printing covers that should be of use to all. I've posted this before but I think a lot of folks probably have not heard it.

Legal sized (8X14) glossy paper is practically none exitent so you will need to use letter size (8X11). Forget about the matte finished paper some people continue to use. Matte paper is not the paper of choice if you want the best quality print outs. Glossy paper results in blacker 'blacks' and deeper hues of all colors. Epson S041141 is a very nice glossy paper but it is (8.5X11).

Here's the trick: Take a standard sheet of legal (8.5X14) paper and dead center apply a very small piece of scotch tape......

The small piece of tape will be on the bottom side of the sheet. fold the tape upwards and make sure there is only a very slight amount protruding off the edge. Also you might want to thumb the exposed tape to make it less sticky (you don't want it to stick it to the photo sheet). What you do is lay the 8X14 standard sheet (with the taped edge leading) in the printer hopper, then place a (8X11) photo sheet on top. With the tape folded upwards the (8X11) photo paper will drag the (8X14) sheet underneath it into the printer. Your printer now thinks it dealing with 8.5X14 paper. Remember to set the left margin (in landscape mode) to a very small amount. On my printer I just set it to zero and the printer defaults to about 1/16th of an inch (if the tape was extended farther than 1/16th it might fold over and block printing so to be safe make sure the exposed tape is smaller than the margin).

I've been using the same sheet of plain legal paper with the same piece of tape for over 4 months now (dozens and dozens of print outs and it works every time). No cutting and no wasted paper. Try it!

Last edited by johnf14; 07-02-03 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-03-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Ah, how I hearken back to when Hewlett-Packard were giving out free sample ROLLS of the stuff...
Yeah and they never came through with my free roll...
Old 07-03-03, 09:51 PM

me neither, and I posted the deal here! :P