Disc Cracking Problem

Community
Search

Disc Cracking Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-03, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disc Cracking Problem

My copy of the T2 Ultimate Edition has started to crack, from the center hole outward. I'm sure it was caused by the cases' "pushbutton" holder.
Anyone ever have this problem and is there a cure?
Old 06-26-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Disc Cracking Problem

Originally posted by GeneralZod
My copy of the T2 Ultimate Edition has started to crack, from the center hole outward. I'm sure it was caused by the cases' "pushbutton" holder.
I had this problem with the old original Canadian release of Heavenly Creatures, never had a problem playing it just handled it extra carefully. Once the US release came out I picked that up and haven't worried about it.

You should contact the company, maybe they will send a replacement, especially if others have contacted them also.
Old 06-26-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My T2 UE was cracked when I first got it.
Old 06-26-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow. I've never had a cracked disk. Well, actually my kid stepped on Make Mine Music and broke it to pieces, but I've never had one crack while removing it from the case.

As far as a cure for cracking disks. . . Be more careful?
Old 06-26-03, 04:52 PM

I have at least one like that, maybe more.

Still works tho, so i wont worry until the disk disintegrates in my player causing it to explode.
Old 06-26-03, 05:45 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by greatjedi
Wow. I've never had a cracked disk. Well, actually my kid stepped on Make Mine Music and broke it to pieces, but I've never had one crack while removing it from the case.
Since it's a Disney DVD, Disney would replace it for $10 through their replacement program.
Old 06-26-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My disk one of Gladiator cracked from the inside from a stiff hub release.
Old 06-26-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, actually my kid stepped on Make Mine Music and broke it to pieces, but I've never had one crack while removing it from the case.
Did your kid have to face the music afterwards?

I haven't had any myself, but I have seen some rental discs that looked like they were about to crack.
Old 06-26-03, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. I've never had a cracked disk.

As far as a cure for cracking disks. . . Be more careful?
never had one crack here either. there are some tuff hubs in some cases....but nothing that kid-gloves wont fix.
Old 06-26-03, 08:28 PM

This is happening to my copy of Gladiator. The push button spindle the disc goes on is a bit too tight, and pops loudly when you press it in. Doesn't seem to be a problem yet though.
Old 06-26-03, 08:47 PM

I've experienced this problem a number of times

A major culprit seems to be the Disc-1 (inner flap) hub on the original slim double Amaray cases. These have a "triangle" like hub design. The hubs have 3 small "teeth" that are supposed to hold the disc in, but often get caught between DVD layers, pushing them apart and cracking the disc.

Nowadays, whenever I get a dual Amaray case I remove the inner hub and just place a disc in a Tyvek envelope. Not quite as nice, but haven't had any problems with cracked discs since.
Old 06-26-03, 10:39 PM

never had one crack on me, although with tight hubs, especially on Fox 5 star releases, sometimes i think they will crack when taking them out of the package
Old 06-26-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I've had this problem on three different discs.

Two were caused by the Amaray flap's hub.

The other I dunno what happened. I could only attribute it to faulty hub locking.

What I do now is if the disc is stiff in the case, or if I push down and the disc doesn't pop out (like it stays in the circular hole), I replace the case.

I haven't gone through my entire collection, but I do occasional checks on random discs.

I also have given my discs breathing room. Try not to pack the discs so tightly just in case.
Old 06-27-03, 10:23 PM

I had that problem happen to me on Armageddon criterion disk. The triangle hub places too much pressure on the disk causing a crack. I actually took a knife and removed some of the material on the retaining hub. I took of just enough so that the disk won't come loose when it's not supposed to.
Old 06-27-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My first copy of Forrest Gump had a crack in it from a hub that was too tight, but then all of my movies got stolen so that wasn't my problem anymore. Since rebuilding, though, no cracking problems that I can think of.
Old 06-28-03, 11:05 AM
bga

Re: Disc Cracking Problem

Originally posted by GeneralZod
I hate that pushbutton holder. My Almost Famous Bootleg Edition has cracks around the center hole, and I know it was caused by my attempts to remove the disc from the holder. I don't think I've ever had a disc release easily from one of them.
Old 06-28-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by iove
I actually took a knife and removed some of the material on the retaining hub. I took of just enough so that the disk won't come loose when it's not supposed to.
Quite a few of the titles i've received have had discs which have been very hard to remove initially due to the nature of how the disc is held in place.
I've also used a procedure similar to this in that once i've removed the disc i file down the hub so that it becomes easier to remove in the future thus alleviating the problem to some extent of the disc cracking.
Old 06-28-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cracking disc, Gromit.
Old 06-28-03, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I never had a cracked disc... But I'd say a cure would be take it back to the store and exchange it...
Old 06-29-03, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by RichDB10
Quite a few of the titles i've received have had discs which have been very hard to remove initially due to the nature of how the disc is held in place.
I've also used a procedure similar to this in that once i've removed the disc i file down the hub so that it becomes easier to remove in the future thus alleviating the problem to some extent of the disc cracking.
To clarify: Both Rich and I removed material off of the hub on the DVD case and not on the DVD itself.
Old 06-29-03, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When we say "cracked disc," are we talking about the disc actually having a large crack that splits the disc in two, or a crack that's sort of beneath the surface of the outside layer of the DVD (this happened to a disc that I received from Columbia House recently)?
Old 06-30-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a crack in the first disc of Hannibal. It cracked from the center hole of the DVD all the way to the start of the disc making it unplayable. I took it to WalMart and exchanged it for a new one and I don't think I even had the receipt.
Old 06-30-03, 01:59 PM

My Criterion Armageddon has a crack in it. I don't know why they wouldn't have a re-enforcing ring on these discs, especially since the case has that "almost impossible to push" hub with the solid center. Not sure if it already had a crack in it when I bought it.

I've stopped the crack from going any further. I repaired it with 2 part epoxy, fiberglass cloth fibers, emery board and a microscope.

Mostly I sand with the emery board just to balance the disc. I made a balancer in our machine shop. It's just a smaller version of a lawnmower blade balancer.

You wouldn't believe how many new dvd's and cd's are unbalanced right out of the package.

Last edited by WOWZY; 06-30-03 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-30-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
What I do with those slim-double
amarays that have the triangle hub
is that I push it in as far as it can
go a few times (I kind of pump it).

It is then loose enough to not
crack the disc over time, but still
tight enough to hold onto it.