Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Screen shots comparing T2 E HD, T2 E non-HD, and T2 UE

Old 06-23-03, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didnít get T2 Extreme but damn does the UE really look that bad ?

http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/term2.htm
Old 06-23-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Doesn't look that bad to me, the only shot I saw a big difference was the top one on the street.
Old 06-23-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And this site gives the ultimate edition the nod for Sound and Extras.
Old 06-23-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by chanster
And this site gives the ultimate edition the nod for Sound and Extras.
which is why I used the word "look"
Old 06-23-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There is a HUGE difference between the two versions - at least on a 61" ISF'd display. Screen shots on a smaller monitor don't do any justice.
Old 06-23-03, 10:35 AM

I too find it hard to believe there is such a drastic difference between these releases.
Old 06-23-03, 03:26 PM

If you got the cash (Extreme was only $15 at Target a while ago), then there's no reason not to have both.

I use the Extreme Ed. for viewing, and the Ultimate Ed. for the extras. They compliment each other - sort of like the Lord of the Rings normal edition, and Extended Ed. I'm sure there are a lot of people who have both of those.
Old 06-23-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by masetodd
If you got the cash (Extreme was only $15 at Target a while ago), then there's no reason not to have both.

I use the Extreme Ed. for viewing, and the Ultimate Ed. for the extras. They compliment each other - sort of like the Lord of the Rings normal edition, and Extended Ed. I'm sure there are a lot of people who have both of those.
ďultimateĒ is best, most awesome, and LAST version to get dammit :/

I agree in a way they do complement each other but itís not the same as Lord of the Rings and EE.

EE is at least $20 everywhere I saw it. But I never even picked up T1 SE yet Iím not going to get EE when I got UE

Last edited by Class316; 06-23-03 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-23-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DavidH-

I don't mean to call you out, but I was wondering how your statement in this thread compares to this statement you made about the last group of screenshots posted:

There is a HUGE difference between the two versions - at least on a 61" ISF'd display. Screen shots on a smaller monitor don't do any justice.
Now this is your quote from the first thread regarding some screenshots from the Extreme Edition.

I think some people - and you know exactly who you are - are going to have to start eating crow...YES, the Extreme Edition is better looking!
Of course, this was BEFORE you saw the DVD on your home theater - you were just comparing screenshots at the time at that time.
Old 06-23-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I too find it hard to believe there is such a drastic difference between these releases.
Seeing is believing.

I guess if one has a small display with a screwed-up greyscale and white/black level/color/ tint/ sharpness settings up too high, then the two versions look almost indentical.
Old 06-23-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

to me, the lack of the DTS track on the EE was more noticeable than the marginal video improvement.
Old 06-23-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can see the difference between the HD and Non-HD.

If I had an HDTV that would be great, but I do not and I will not for a long time to come.

And I really do not want to give the HD-DVD market to MicroSoft. They will take and say they invented DVDs and try to take over the whole market. Everyone would have to buy/upgrade to new PC/machines every few years. MS would be laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 06-23-03, 06:52 PM

MicroSoft will never take over the world because their products are not always the best. Take their operating systems for - as we become more computer literate I'm sure we'll realize that ease of use isn't always the best route (and besides, there are linux OSes out there that are very WYSIWYG)... and lest we forget people said the same thing about the Apple company in the 80's - to deny that history couldn't repeat itself would be silly...

But as for Terminator - it's easy to see the improvment. Funny thing is UE was a landmark release when it came out - how things have changed in DVD (I think this also goes to show how far off HD-DVD could potentially be).
Old 06-23-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by chrismcg
MicroSoft will never take over the world because their products are not always the best. Take their operating systems for - as we become more computer literate I'm sure we'll realize that ease of use isn't always the best route (and besides, there are linux OSes out there that are very WYSIWYG)...
What matters is not what is easier to use but what is compatible. And almost everything is made to run on windows. Therefore Microsoft windows dominates (of course, the fact that it is easy to use is the major factor companies prefer to make stuff for windows, so itís kinda a paradox, but the basic idea still stands)

Last edited by Class316; 06-23-03 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-23-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Of course, this was BEFORE you saw the DVD on your home theater - you were just comparing screenshots at the time at that time.
Since you are going through the effort of looking at my previous posts, go back and do more homework. I made the prediction that the EE would blow away the UE before I ever saw any screen shot.

Here is what I said on 3/23/03:

When the new transfer comes out and when the reviews surely give it a big improvement over the previous, I will be the first to say "I TOLD YOU SO." They are restoring the film for crying out loud - It's going to look damned good. The previous release was only average - and if you disagree - I suggest you get better equip.
Here is what I said on 4/09/03:

Besides the EE though, this is just an average transfer for today's standards. It has a digital look to it with too many compression artifacts. I'm sure the new one will make it look something like cat food (to put it very nicely).
Here is what I said on 4/11/03:

You can bet this new transfer is going to blow away the mediocre "Ultimate" edition transfer. Just watch.
How come you didn't quote that?!? Convenient how you left that out.

(It should be common sense that a frame by frame restoration will blow away the "old" version. Of course, I was right. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out. Yet, many people still questioned whether the EE would look better.)

Oh....by the way... I TOLD YOU SO!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Last edited by DavidH; 06-23-03 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-23-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Its all about context my friend. The quote I posted was the 3rd post after somebody posted screenshots from the EE. I know you were claiming all the along that the EE would look better. But you posted a post in that thread based on screenshots, declaring the EE "IS" better. Now you discount screenshots.

It is really a moot point, but I just don't understand how you can definitely say the EE "IS" better based on a set of screenshots and then declare that screenshots don't mean anything.

And it is nothing personal, so this is my last post about what you were saying.

Most "Anti-EE" folks HAVE NEVER SAID that the EE would not look better. They were merely saying the degraded AUDIO and missing suplements did not make this a buy for them.
Old 06-23-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I compared both of these last weekend. The EE looks better than the UE on my set as well. As DavidH said, it is really hard to tell the difference between those tiny screen grabs compared to a big screen.

I was really interested in seeing the HD version though. It looks slightly better in these shots, but not by much. I would love to see that HD transfer in person! Anyone on this board have a HTPC that can handle it? Opinions?
Old 06-23-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Chanster,

When did I say the screenshots show no difference? Please tell me where I said "the screenshots don't mean anything."

Do I have to quote myself again in another thread where I said there were differences or improvements in the screenshots?

I just said the screenshots don't do justice. I didn't say to "discount" them. There differences are in the screenshots, but much more dramatic on a LARGER display. When I first saw the screenshots, I thought, "nice." When I saw it on my 61" display, I thought, "HOLY *****."

Yes, it is about context. If you are going to quote what I say about a topic (I don't care in what thread), quote the ENTIRE context of my point --- even if it's from different theads --- I have posted similar points in multiple T2 threads. Whether you realize it or not, you have totally distorted what I have been saying.

Last edited by DavidH; 06-23-03 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-23-03, 10:31 PM
Cool New Member

61"? Bastard.
Old 06-24-03, 12:19 AM
X
Administrator

The edge enhancement on the Ultimate Edition is nasty!
Old 06-24-03, 01:06 AM

I have both the ultimate and extreme versions, and i think the extreme version blows the ultimate away picture wise, and this is on my 35 inch standard t.v., as far as the dts tract on the ultimate goes,i really never saw what all the hoopla was about in the first palce, there is hardly any useage of the rear speakers throughout the movie in the ultimate dts version, todays dts movies blow terminator dts out of the water i just was never very impressed with the ultimate dts sound, thats just me though
Old 06-24-03, 01:34 AM

any reason dvdbeaver lists the EE as being PAL 720x576 25.00 f/s?
Old 06-24-03, 04:13 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by DarthMaul420
As DavidH said, it is really hard to tell the difference between those tiny screen grabs compared to a big screen.
It is? I could EASILY tell a difference between those vid caps.
Old 06-24-03, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh - looks a little better when you blow it up, but it's not like I'll watch that movie sitting 5 inches from my 61" Hi-Def set. I also probably won't watch that film more than two more times in my life. I'm not being persuaded into getting the new one.
Old 06-24-03, 04:52 AM
Banned

Y'know, T2:EE's Extreme Interactive mode is pretty damn cool. Let's not forget it's the first full commentary Cameron's ever done. Sure the second disc is a waste....a really big waste (man I get steamed just thinking about it) but I think it's a solid buy for 15-20 dollars.

I would've picked up the UE edition if it weren't so rare and overpriced.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.