Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Differences between US & Canada Criterions?

Old 06-21-03, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told on this forum by someone, not too long ago, that there was "no" difference between a US & Canada Criterion. Who that person is, i don't remember, and it's not really important. But recently I picked up a "Chasing Amy" Criterion, from a reliable seller on Ebay, who happens to be from Canada. I had an experience before that when I bought "Y Tu Mama Tambien" through a Canadian seller,(not this one) I got a Canadian dvd, which was different from the US version. So that's why I asked about Criterion's if they were different in Canada, compared to over here in the US, before I go and get one of those.

Well anyway, I just received the "Chasing Amy" C.C. today. That I got for an excellent price. But it really don't go for that much anyway. And I notice a few differences. First off there is "no" Criterion Security sticker on any part of it. Which I realise they were'nt always consistent with that, so that's no biggie. Secondy it has the Canadian label, "Alliance Atlantis" on the front cover, and the "Canadian Home Video Rating" thing on the back. Which is expected, seeing it comes from Canada I suppose? But then I noticed the big one. At least what I consider a big one. There is "no" Catalog or isbn #, to be found anywhere on the back cover, as I thought everyone had? I only have 15 Criterion's in my collection, but they all have it on the back cover, unless there are some that don't, and I never known it? It is brand-new, still in shrink wrap, marked with the "Alliance Atlantis" logo. It apprears to have all the "special features" that the US has and all, and I really can't compare because I don't have a US one to compare it too. But it seems to have everything the US would I suppose, except like I said, an isbn or cat. #. Where that would usually be written on the back cover is just a thing talking about "alliance atlantis" rights, viewing policy stuff.

If anyone can give me a little input about this, I'd really appreciate it, because I'm thinking of just sending it back. I don't believe it's a bootleg or anything like that, I just thought there was no difference with the dvd's. And seeing it doesn't have the isbn or cat. # anywhere, just doesn't feel right. And I looked over it very thorughly.

It also does have the spine # on it
Old 06-21-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My copy has the ISBN # on the top right hand cover. It is possible that Canada gets slightly different covers though I suppose. The one thing that I hate about buying from Canadian dealers is the, "is it a bootleg factor?" I would just pick this one up from a local store while its 15 dollars if you really want it.
Old 06-21-03, 12:55 PM

That's what I should have done.I only got this for $10, but I think it would have been worth it just to throw the extra $5 in, and be assured of it's authenticity? I was lead to believe it was the exact thing in Canada as it is here. That's what I get for listening? lol.
Old 06-21-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sure Chasing Amy will eventually be dirt cheap anyway. It is probably the Criterion dvd that has the most copies floating around.
Old 06-21-03, 01:10 PM

I just picked up on something on the spine, after it says the spine #, there's the cat. # next to it, but it isn't the full #. It just says 17244. I don't know if the 2 numbers missing is irrevelent or what, but that's all it says. Also where you say that you have the isbn in the top right corner, mine just has the upc in the top right corner. It's not worth the aggravation really, seeing how like you said, how cheap it is. I'll probably just send it back,and pick up one at Best Buy or something, for that peace of mind. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-21-03, 01:12 PM

From what I understand, Criterions are the same the world over. But this is just what I've been led to believe.
Old 06-21-03, 01:21 PM

I understand what you're saying. I was told it by someone also. But there are differences in this Canada Criterion on the front & back covers, compared to the US Criterions. The spine is also different. The "Alliance Atlantis" Canada logo are on the front, back, and spine, as well as part of the cat. # being on the spine. The isbn also, is no where to be found. Maybe it's just me being anal about stuff like this, but that's not how I like my Criterion to look like.
Old 06-21-03, 01:28 PM

I won't go into how absolutely ridiculous this thread is, but suffice it to say that there is only a difference with this one as Criterion released the title in conjunction with Universal/Disney. The Canadian edition is distributed via Alliance as they handle a number of films in Canada whereas Buena Vista handles the US releases. Any discrepancies are a direct result of this. Virtually every other Criterion disc for sale in Canada is simply a US import.
Old 06-21-03, 01:40 PM

Sorry that you feel that way. But I just wanted to get a little verification on it, that's it. I don't feel it was a bootleg, or anything like that. I was just told that there were no differences, but I guess I just happen to get "Chasing Amy", which is different. I don't feel it was absolutely ridiculous to ask a question such as that. I've heard of and have dvd's from Canada with the "Alliance Atlantis" logo on it, so i know they're legit. That wasn't my question. It was just the differences I was asking about. Thank you also for clearing up that this is the only one like this in Canada, and the rest are import from the US. That was some good info.
Old 06-21-03, 02:28 PM

Sorry to contradict but I have the Canadian Traffic Criterion and the cover is also different to the US version. There is no spine # exept for the Alliance # 4114 and the front is also different.
Old 06-21-03, 02:53 PM

that's how my "Chasing Amy" looks in the front with those two logo's there. I do have a spine # on mine though, followed by that dvd logo that's on the front part, then part of the cat. #, just the first 5 numbers and that's it. I figuere that's what it is at least, because I went over to the Criterion site to check it out and the cat. # started with these 5 numbers? Thanks for sharing that information.

btw, I like your name, "Dixpicks" do you happen to be a Deadhead, because that's the name of the label, taken from the late Dick Latvala picks of what he put out of live Dead shows on cd, called Dicks Picks? As I'm sure if you're a Deadhead you are well aware of? Or is it a coincidence? Anyway, thanks for your input
Old 06-21-03, 08:46 PM

Hi Giallofan,

My Chasing Amy CC that I bought new when first release from Toronto has a Catalog number and a isbn number on the back cover.
Old 06-21-03, 08:56 PM

Is the one you have, that you bought in Toronto distributed from "Alliance"? If so, where exactly is the isbn and cat. # on yours? I have a partial cat.# on the spine, but that's it. I could be over looking something here, but I don't think so? I have the UPC number of course, but I am looking at it now, and I can't see any cat. or isbn on the back cover?
Old 06-21-03, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by dixpicks
Sorry to contradict but I have the Canadian Traffic Criterion and the cover is also different to the US version. There is no spine # exept for the Alliance # 4114 and the front is also different.
You should contact Alliance for your Canadian Traffic Criterion. Mine also did not have a spine #, so I had to contact Alliance to get the revised cover with a spine #.
Old 06-22-03, 12:50 PM

Apart from the spine numbers, do the replacement Traffic covers still have the objectionable Alliance Atlantis logos on the front, and French littered across the back?

I'll never understand why Alliance Atlantis, who have nothing to do with either the production of the film, or the authoring of the DVD, feel the need to put their logo on it that much more than even the studio itself.
Old 06-22-03, 05:53 PM

I agree with you 100% about the "Alliance' logo. I don't feel there's any need for it as well.What I want to know is, if anyone has the "Chasing Amy", Canada Criterion Edition, and can tell me if they have an isbn, or cat. #. anywhere on the back cover? Mine sure doesn't, unless I'm really overlooking something here? Shouldn't there be one on there somewhere?
Old 06-22-03, 07:26 PM

I have the Canadian version, I bought it at A&B Sound in Kelowna, BC.
On the back in the top right corner there is a barcode and the UPC code underneath it. The UPC code is 1795100237. There is a small 7 before the UPC and a small 2 after it.

Why exactly do you want a catalogue of ISBN number?
Old 06-22-03, 07:57 PM

All this over a cover??? The movie is the same on both releases, if that matters at all......
Old 06-22-03, 08:28 PM

I'm just stating that the US releases all have an isbn, and Catalog #, on their releases. As far as I know, and going by what I have. This is a way to identify the authentic dvd. But it doesn't always mean it's authentic of course, just because it has it. I'm not saying because this doesn't have an isbn, or cat. #, that it isn't a legit copy, I know it is. I'm just a little anal I suppose over the Criterion's I purchase. I was told that there was no difference between a US & Canada Criterion, and that's why I purchused this from a Canadian seller for a decent price, because I thought I was going to get the exact one as sold here in the US. I don't care for the "Alliance" logo on the front cover either. I suppose it's maybe just me that cares about these numbers being on it though, I don't know? But that's just how I feel. I have the UPC code on the top right hand corner, but nothing else stating the isbn, or Cat. #'s.

This was just a general question about what I was told how the US & Canada Criterion's don't differ. Unfortunetly, whoever told me this was wrong. It seems to me that some people are taking my question the wrong way? Especially Canadian posters, for some reason? I'm not knocking the Canada Criterion release of this particular movie, but it seems some peopole are taking offense to it, at least in my opinion? I heard what I wanted to hear, and I feel there's really no need to go on with this post. I'm certainly not going to get rid of it, just because of a isbn, and cat. #. I was just wondering why this particular one doesn't have it, or if it was something that's been fixed? As what another poster noted about the "Traffic" Criterion having a problem with it's spine #, and it was fixed, that's it. Thanks everyone for all your input. And if I offended anyone with this particular question, I apolgise.
Old 06-23-03, 02:38 AM

USA Films' DVDs (eg. Traffic) are being distributed by Universal in USA but by Alliance Atlantis in Canada.
Same for Miramax's DVDs (eg. Chasing Amy).

The Discs's content are EXACTLY the same for US & Canada, except for the covers (the logos and nos.)

i bought Chasing Amy from a Canadian etailer, my copy is exactly the same as US (no alliance's logos).
There is however a very small rectangular sticker on the back of
the keepcase that says "Distributed by Universal Alliance".

p.s. AFAIK, there are only 2 versions of "Y Tu Mama Tambien", the
rated and unrated. There are no difference between canadian
and US in this case.

Last edited by hbk1976; 06-23-03 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-23-03, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by hbk1976

p.s. AFAIK, there are only 2 versions of "Y Tu Mama Tambien", the
rated and unrated. There are no difference between canadian
and US in this case.
Except that the Candian unrated disc is completely different from the US disk and has absolutley no extra features.
Old 06-23-03, 08:19 AM

Avoid anything with an Alliance Atlantis logo, product is
subpar...
Old 06-23-03, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 810 Likes on 565 Posts
Originally posted by gjamesm
Except that the Candian unrated disc is completely different from the US disk and has absolutley no extra features.
And I believe the Canadian disc's Spanish track is only 2.0, whereas the US disc has a 5.1 track.
Old 06-23-03, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by billy9215
Avoid anything with an Alliance Atlantis logo, product is
subpar...
I agree, "Below" by alliance has no trailer, "Austin Powers"
miss out on a commentary, etc.
Too many titles got ****ed up by them, can't remember them all.

Except in the case of the Criterions, they are exactly the same.
I know 'cos my fren has the canadian "Traffic" while I have the
US.

LotR: FotR canadian version is the same as US too, except they
substituded the english stereo for french stereo on the alliance,
and those annoying logos.

If you want to avoid alliance, avoid buying all NewLine, Artisan, USA Films, Miramax, Dimension titles in canada.
Old 06-23-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JSKANG
You should contact Alliance for your Canadian Traffic Criterion. Mine also did not have a spine #, so I had to contact Alliance to get the revised cover with a spine #.
I have the same issue. Will they send a replacement to the U.S.? If so, how did you contact them and was there a cost? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.