DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   more House of 1000 Corpses information (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/300220-more-house-1000-corpses-information.html)

Julie Walker 06-19-03 06:50 PM

more House of 1000 Corpses information

Originally posted by Al Sex Gore
I've been following this with interest and thought I'd share some news I posted for our readers over at SGM (forum) about the film and its forthcoming UK release (both theatrically and on DVD)...

"...As for the 'House of 1000 Corpses' thing - I do now know that they (Tartan) do indeed have access to the full 120 minute gory uncut print and they will aim to get this out uncut here on DVD later this year - so big up to Tartan"

"In fact they're going to spoil UK horror fans as if you can't wait for the DVD release then I do know that the film will play theatrically at Fright Fest this year and most likely also at the Edinburgh Film Festival very soon also. If you can't make either of these then no worries at it will go on general cinema release on October the 3rd. "

"I hope this is good news for you folk (I'd imagine especially for our US pals with PAL friendly DVD players!) Let's hope the BBFC are in a gory good mood when they screen it eh?"

Alan :)
http://www.sexgoremutants.co.uk

Interesting information. If the films does in fact pass uncut in the UK. Then the U.S gets screwed over again. First 'The Rules of Attraction'...& now this other release from Lions Gate. Sure they may eventually release the uncut versions in the U.S. Yet i'm tired of waiting.

Though i wonder if this will in fact get by fully uncut in the UK? I mean,don't they have one rule over 'sadistic violence which the perpetrator apears to enjoy the torment they cause'? If so,then this film could suffer massive cuts depending on how bad the uncut version is. Afterall..the entire film is nothing but a sick clan who enjoy tormenting their victims,leading them to a eventual death.

Then again,the film is so far fetched to fanatasyland. It may sneak by without a hitch. Yet we'll just have to wait & see.

scarredgod 06-19-03 07:11 PM

good news in that it may appear uncut, bad news is that Tartan is the company doing it, ive always been very less than impressed with their releases, generally being very dark.

Josh-da-man 06-20-03 07:13 AM

What? The 120 minute cut that doesn't exist?

LiquidSky 06-20-03 07:30 AM

Julie,

I know what you mean. What the hell is up with Lions Gate? I would love an uncut DVD release of "Rules" as well as "House of....".

d2cheer 06-20-03 08:54 AM

Originally posted by scarredgod
good news in that it may appear uncut, bad news is that Tartan is the company doing it, ive always been very less than impressed with their releases, generally being very dark.
Agree, Tartan's track record on DVD releases is very spotty at best....

cupcake jesus 06-20-03 12:49 PM

[hijack]For those in the Syracuse, NY area, House of 1000 Corpses starts at the Hollywood in Mattydale Friday the 20th, and probably ends its run next Thursday. Just a heads-up for anyone who didn't get to see this in the theaters from the area.[/hijack]

Anywho. I'd LOVE to see an "uncut" version of this, but doesn't that mean it would have to be recut to accomodate more gore/violence? Has anyone seen this cut beside Rob Zombie? Doesn't Tartan really suck? IS there an unrated Rules of Attraction dvd floating around in other regions, and is it that different?

Anyways, if Tartan doesn't muck this up, looks like R2 is the way to go. Stupid region coding.

Julie Walker 06-20-03 05:59 PM

My theory at the moment with both Corpses & Rules regarding unrated U.S. releases. LG may try cashing in on the sequels to the films planned for release next year or sometime in the future. Thus for now,we may be stuck with the R versions.

Since 'Corpses 2' is aiming for a release next April,unless things hold it up,such as rushing the production & screwing it up like so many rushed crappy Dimension films.

I don't know when or even if Avary has started filming Glamorama. Thats somewhat of a sequel to Rules,since it involves a few of the same charecters after college who wind up in some truely surreal deep crap. The book was very wild. I'm still unsure how it will fair adapted into a film. I did like 'Rules' despite being alittle different than the novel. Yet it is the only decent Ellis adaption to date(the other two were terrible!).

Anyway thats just my guess. Whenever the above two films are released. We may see the uncut versions of the previous films.

Oh yeah..Rules reportedly only had in the end,22 seconds cut to avoid a NC-17.So while the R versions still pretty strong. I would love to see it uncut. Sometimes a few seconds can make a huge difference. + I'd really like to see the deleted scenes cut from the film like the 'cafeteria sequences'. + I really want to hear the Bret Easton Ellis commentary..& maybe even Avarys. Both of which are already recorded before the first dvd release! So you know LG would be stupid to just sit on two must listen(i'm sure anyway) commentaries!

DarthMaul420 06-20-03 06:37 PM

I have to be somewhat curious is Lions Gate oking a sequel to Corpses? Granted the film made a little bit of money for them, but only b/c Universal footed 90% of the bill. However, I wouldn't mind seeing another one.

cultshock 06-20-03 07:26 PM

Arrgghh, Ellis and Avary recorded commentary tracks for Rules of Attraction and instead LG gave us Carrot Top??? I would especially love to hear Ellis' thoughts on the film.

caligulathegod 06-20-03 07:32 PM

As unfocused and uninspired as House of 1000 Corpses was, what could they possibly come up with to fill another one?

djtoell 06-20-03 07:39 PM

Originally posted by caligulathegod
As unfocused and uninspired as House of 1000 Corpses was, what could they possibly come up with to fill another one?
Maybe Zombie should go ahead and remake the remainder of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre series in order. Based on how much so many people liked it, apparently just remaking TCM (with editing seemingly done by a blind monkey sufferring from seizures) was a great idea, so he should continue on in order.

Maybe someone, somewhere, someday will do an interesting horror film again...

DJ

DarthMaul420 06-20-03 08:58 PM

Originally posted by caligulathegod
Probably the same as the other horror franchises that have run sequel after sequel? Sad but true

DarthMaul420 06-20-03 09:04 PM

Originally posted by djtoell

Maybe someone, somewhere, someday will do an interesting horror film again...

DJ

I keep hoping for something or someone to revitalise the genre, but too many things just seem to work against it.

Julie Walker 06-20-03 09:21 PM

Originally posted by cultshock
Arrgghh, Ellis and Avary recorded commentary tracks for Rules of Attraction and instead LG gave us Carrot Top??? I would especially love to hear Ellis' thoughts on the film.

Yep...Avary documented it all on his website. Mentioned the commentary recordings..including Ellis coming in & doing his. Also that he had worked on the 5.1 mix for the unrated cut..& the 2.0 for the R rated(to fit all the commentaries & also since the R rated version is not 'worthy' of 5.1 since it's not his intended version of the film). I saw it in theaters..& the 6-track sound was excellent. Meanwhile the 2.0 dvd is adequate expect for the party sequences. Way to tiny & compressed. The music was blaring in theaters,now it's supressed in the background down alittle too low for my tastes to really get into it as much. Yet the rest of the film sounds excellent.

Speaking of Ellis. When does his next book come out? Already read all of his novels & am itching for more. May eventually reread them since there is much i missed the first time(by reading them out of order).

As for Corpses 2. I hope it turns out decent. Yet who knows. It may just be rushed from the sounds of it. Zombie doesn't even have a script completed yet according to a new Bill Moseley interview. Yet LG wants them to start shooting in September..& released next April!

Yet Zombie does claim he has some ideas for the film & it will 'blow away & totally outdo' the original or so he says!

Yet lets hope whether the sequel turns out good,bad or mediocre. That LG does not bother to attempt a third. Afterall,you can only stretch a skit so far before it gets bleh(usually by the first sequel!). Austin Powers being a great example. The originial was good,the sequel i have not seen all of,but was not impressed. Yet the bits i've seen from the third were so played out & unfunny. It was a pain to sit through 10 minutes of it.

cultshock 06-20-03 10:38 PM

I've already resigned myself to the fact that I'll be double dipping on Rules of Attraction. :(

Not sure about Ellis' next book, but his previous ones definitely reward repeat readings.

Anyway, all this really sucks about 1000 Corpses. I've been hearing about the film forever, and its too bad that its going to end up with a bastardized DVD release (for now anyway).

mikewendt 06-21-03 04:17 PM

I have two words for this... Signiture Series! LG seems to be releasing the Unrated versions of films under that banner. See Monster's Ball and "O". I think there's a couple more out there but you get the point. The sequel promoting will probably factor in.

I'd honostly like to hear what Rob Zombie, himself, has to say about all this "No unrated version crap" since he was promoting the s**t out of the "Unrated DVD" when House was going though it's theater run...

DVDProfessor 06-21-03 04:29 PM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
What? The 120 minute cut that doesn't exist?
Funny, Rob Zombie says it doesn't exist. And since he is THE man who made the film I'd have to say it's true. This "uncut" version in R2 is probably not authorized by Zombie himself.

Sunday Morning 06-21-03 05:16 PM

I love that the u.k. now gets all the uncut stuff nowadays and we don't. It's bizarro world. Time to move...

Julie Walker 06-21-03 09:37 PM

Originally posted by DVDProfessor
Funny, Rob Zombie says it doesn't exist. And since he is THE man who made the film I'd have to say it's true. This "uncut" version in R2 is probably not authorized by Zombie himself.

Umm you don't put much thought into whats been said do you?

Since the supposed 105-120 minute version of the film is being released in the UK. That would be the much debated 'uncut' version. So that would mean a uncut/unrated print DOES exist. Just because Rob said it did 'not exist',does not mean he meant extra gore & mayhem not 'existing. He could have simply meant that the uncut version 'does not exist on dvd' at this time,since the R rated version is all thats being released!

Pretty simple answer than taking the 'not existing' remark litteraly as 'nothing extra in the film exists at all!'. Since the film WAS cut drastically to avoid a NC-17..even Rob admits that in a current interview. So the uncut version IS out there & DOES exist. Yet it's just not being released on dvd in the US at the moment:) :(

As for the Signature Series possibility. Hmm thats a good idea! It may happen. Since LG wants to make as many 'worthy' SS releases to there 'biggest' films. It just may happen..down the line.

DVDProfessor 06-21-03 10:13 PM

Originally posted by Julie Walker
Umm you don't put much thought into whats been said do you?

Since the supposed 105-120 minute version of the film is being released in the UK. That would be the much debated 'uncut' version. So that would mean a uncut/unrated print DOES exist. Just because Rob said it did 'not exist',does not mean he meant extra gore & mayhem not 'existing. He could have simply meant that the uncut version 'does not exist on dvd' at this time,since the R rated version is all thats being released!

Pretty simple answer than taking the 'not existing' remark litteraly as 'nothing extra in the film exists at all!'. Since the film WAS cut drastically to avoid a NC-17..even Rob admits that in a current interview. So the uncut version IS out there & DOES exist. Yet it's just not being released on dvd in the US at the moment:) :(

As for the Signature Series possibility. Hmm thats a good idea! It may happen. Since LG wants to make as many 'worthy' SS releases to there 'biggest' films. It just may happen..down the line.

Umm, I guess YOU don't put much thought into what's said.

I said: It was probably not authorized by Zombie, himself. Don't you understand, sir. It said it was NOT authorized by Rob Zombie, NOT AUTHORIZED!!!. I'm sorry you misread that mister.

Julie Walker 06-22-03 01:38 AM

Actually i saw the 'not authorized' comment. Yet on the last thread. Again you were going off about the uncut version 'not existing'.

+ I'm pretty sure the uncut version IS 'authorized' by Rob. Afterall,he wanted his film released uncut..& tryed his best. Yet in the end had to compromise with a R rated theatrical release to get it out there finally. Yet i severly doubt he 'prefers' the R rated version of the film. Afterall,it was not what he intended.

In fact much of the disjointed nature of the film could be a result of the heavily cutting. As much as i could sit through the R rated version once in theaters,just to see the film. I doubt i could ever sit through that version again. It's just to cut up to 'enjoy' time & again. Meanwhile i am looking forward to see the real version of the film in uncut form.

ps-who are you calling mister?

mikewendt 06-22-03 02:22 PM

Oh boy, do I smell a battle coming on???

scarredgod 06-22-03 04:20 PM

the argument over the existence of an uncut version of this film is getting ridiculous. there IS a longer version, it is the version zombie tried to get released and finally had to edit down, it IS available out there if you know where to look, any horror convention will have it (the Monster Bash in Butler PA had it this weekend) but i wasnt going to shell out the 25 bucks for it. i mention this solely for the purpose of hard evidence of its existence.

for whatever reason, Rob Zombie has backed down yet again from getting this released uncut, understandable for the theatrical release, puzzling for the DVD release but it is NOT because of nonexistent source material.

Originally posted by DVDProfessor
Umm, I guess YOU don't put much thought into what's said.

I said: It was probably not authorized by Zombie, himself. Don't you understand, sir. It said it was NOT authorized by Rob Zombie, NOT AUTHORIZED!!!. I'm sorry you misread that mister.

nice attempt at backpedaling in THIS thread DVDprofessor but i read your post on the PREVIOUS 1000 Corpses thread that was closed stating that the uncut version simply does not exist, PERIOD.

DeputyDave 06-22-03 08:16 PM

This IS getting silly. Obviously DVDProfesor knows the uncut version exists/existed and he is simply trying to argue in order to get a rise out of people (either that or he simply is incredibly uninformed about the subject he has chosen to be so vocal on). Drop it. It exists. Rob Zombie originally filmed it that way and tried to get it released, therefore it must be authorized.
Now lets go back to bitching and whining about the “real” version not being released on DVD

mzupeman2 06-22-03 10:38 PM

Yeah, the debate is childish.

And as far as the sequal for this movie goes... Rob said he wanted to get into the characters of those who live in that house more... give us more detail about them. Who knows how it will turn out.