Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind due out on Sept. 9

Old 06-19-03, 07:06 PM

Found it up for pre-order on DDD. No specs for the dvd were up yet.
Old 06-19-03, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

damn. almost a year after release.

Loved the movie but since it didn't do so well in theatres it should have been released much earlier.
Old 06-19-03, 08:37 PM
mwj

I think this DVD was delayed because they are going to rerelease the movie back into theaters sometime this summer.
Old 06-19-03, 09:31 PM

I thought "Confessions" was one of the worst movies I've seen in years. A real mess. Do not, I repeat DO NOT do a blind buy on this flick.
Old 06-19-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do, I repeat, do buy this flick if you're a fan of Charlie Kaufman films. I thought this was perhaps his most accessable film, but it's still very similar to his other work. The other films made from Charlie Kaufman scripts so far are:

Being John Malkovich
Human Nature
Adaptation
Old 06-19-03, 09:55 PM

Charlie Kaufman's "Being John Malkovich" and "Adaptation" scripts were stunningly original and downright brilliant. And the movies themselves were nothing short of dazzling. HOWEVER, "Confessions," in my humble opinion, was something those two films were not, BORING!!! For those who have not seen it in theatres, do yourself a favor and rent this before you buy. I'm not trying to contradict anyone, but I found "Confessions" a major bomb. There's a reason why it flopped in theatres.
Old 06-19-03, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm really looking forward to this. Hopefully it will make another theatrical run since I missed it the first time around. Only clooney movie I didn't like that I've seen was Batman and Robin, but that movie was beyond salvation anyway.

Thanks for the info...hopefully there are some good specs for this.
Old 06-20-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
I thought it flopped in theaters because, just like Hollywood Homicide, they marketed it as about six different genres. Now it's a romantic movie with Julia Roberts and Drew Barrymore, now it's a comedy, now it's a spy movie, now it has dinosaurs.
Old 06-20-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by majorjoe23
I thought it flopped in theaters because, just like Hollywood Homicide, they marketed it as about six different genres. Now it's a romantic movie with Julia Roberts and Drew Barrymore, now it's a comedy, now it's a spy movie, now it has dinosaurs.
...but it was about all of those things SANS the dinosaur thing.
Old 06-20-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was a "flop", mainly because people don't care about seeing a movie about Chuck Barris, but instead want blow-'em action. Simply because this movie, or Frida, or the Hours, or to an extent Adaptation didn't earn big money, it's hard to call them flops or make judgments about their quality.
Old 06-20-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, it's easy to call them flops, since a flop is simply a movie that didn't recoup it's cost. However, most films nowadays can only be called theatrical flops, because they tend to recoup their cost in overseas and video revenue.

Of course, whether or not a film was a flop has no relation to the actual quality of the film itself. Brazil was a flop. Blade Runner was a flop. Office Space was a flop. Great films can be financial disasters, and awful films can become blockbusters.

So Confessions of a Dangerous Mind cannot be called a bad film simply because it didn't do well in theatres.
Old 06-20-03, 07:30 PM
Banned

Well, I'm interested in seeing it. Missed it in the theater but not because of bad word of mouth or anything. I just never got around to going to it when it was in its first run.
Old 07-02-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Behold the positively atrocious new cover that Miramax has decided to bestow on this gem:

I haven't been bothering to print up new covers lately, but this one will be an exception.
Old 07-02-03, 11:34 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Cosmic Bus
Behold the positively atrocious new cover that Miramax has decided to bestow on this gem:

I haven't been bothering to print up new covers lately, but this one will be an exception.
Agreed. Especially since it had such exceptional art for the one sheet. I'm surprised they didn't try to fit more big heads on there. Like Julia's, for instance.
Old 07-03-03, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dear lord! I have never been in the habit of printing up new covers, but there's a first time for everything.

This was easily one of the most entertaining films I saw last year.
Old 07-03-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Drew Barrymore has a mustache! Also, Sam Rockwell looks a lot like that girl with the moon-shaped head from E.T. all grown up.
Old 07-03-03, 12:56 PM

I thought it was an excellent movie, despite the fact that I don't particularly like any of the leads in this movie, I thought the characters were really interesting, and I really like the fact that it doesn't fit the mold of your average Hollywood film

with that said I am definitely getting it in September, to hell with all you haters, jk
Old 07-03-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One of my favorite movies last year, a must-buy.
Old 07-03-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I betcha that it won't have an insert...
Old 07-03-03, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I betcha someone will start a thread about it not having an insert.
Old 07-15-03, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Specs finally announced! Looks pretty nice (as opposed to that cover art )

Buena Vista Home Entertainment has announced the details to Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. The disc includes an anamorphic widescreen transfer (2.40:1), DD 5.1, an audio commentary with director George Clooney and Director of Photography Newton Thomas Sigel, eleven deleted scenes, a behind-the-scenes featurette, Sam Rockwell's screen tests, a look at the real Chuck Barris, five of The Gong Show's greatest acts, a still gallery, and trailers. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind is due on September 9th with a retail of $29.99.
Old 07-15-03, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by majorjoe23
Drew Barrymore has a mustache! Also, Sam Rockwell looks a lot like that girl with the moon-shaped head from E.T. all grown up.
Nice one!

Hey, has anyone else read the book? I thought it was fantastic, but I missed the movie. Sam Rockwell, from what I've seen of him, is a phenomenal actor, so I'm sure I'll pick this up.
Old 07-15-03, 10:21 PM

the extras sound very good, but was i the only one praying for a chuck barris commentary? i know it was a long-shot, but still, it would've been awesome
Old 07-15-03, 10:36 PM
Banned

Directors shouldn't star in their own movies. Small parts- yes. Lead roles- no. My 2 cents.
Old 07-15-03, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lesterlong
Directors shouldn't star in their own movies. Small parts- yes. Lead roles- no. My 2 cents.
Lucky for you Lester, George Clooney has a fairly small role in this film.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.