Why hasn't Disney released BAMBI on dvd yet?

Old 06-19-03, 10:14 AM

Why hasn't Disney released BAMBI on dvd yet?

It seems that Disney has released all their movies on dvd except for the classic Bambi (and Song of the South-which we will probably never see)? I would think that Disney would make plenty of profit off a dvd release of Bambi, so why isn't it available? Maybe Disney feels that Thumper is a racist rabbit

By the way, wouldn't it be nice if Disney released some of their WDW anniversary specials from the 80s on dvd. It was fun to watch these 2 hour special on ABC with celebrities walking around the park & performances by popular artists (like Air Supply & the Pointer Sisters).
Old 06-19-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
There is plenty other movies that disney has still not released. be patiant. Maybe there is something about this in the F.A.Q.

there have a sort of schedule to release them. Aladdin isn't out either.. you think disney has something against that? Plenty other titles people are waiting for my friend.. plenty of titles. we just have to wait for Disney's Master plan to be fulfilled.
Old 06-19-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I heard they're working on it where Bambi's mom is going to shoot first.
Old 06-19-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BigPete
I'd buy that.
Old 06-19-03, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by BigPete
Really? I heard that the gun was going to be replaced with a walkie talkie.
Old 06-19-03, 11:03 AM

They've been trying for years to secure the rights to Bambi Meets Godzilla for the second disc.

But seriously - and sadly - I'm sure Disney is hard at work on some kind of wretched sequel - Bambi goes into the Big Apple or some crap. When that hits theatres, they'll announce the subsequent DVD will be packaged with the original film, for the low, low price of $35-$45.

When will you get Bambi on DVD? When Disney has figured out how to extract the most cash while getting rid of their worst ideas. Shouldn't be too much longer now - the 70th anniversary is just 9 short years away...

Sige.
Old 06-19-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Bambi 2000!!
Old 06-19-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You guys haven't heard? Terminator Bambi-Bambi's Revenge opens in theaters July 25th! They've already released the "straight to video" sequels Bambi III-Death Is No Excuse and Bambi IV-Hunters Beware. Word is they're working on another movie that will be titled Bambi V-A New Love, where bambi gets together with Thumper's sister in an effort to show that his whole life wasn't consumed by revenge for his mother's death and that interracial relationships are possible.
Old 06-19-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

all these insanities mentioned are probably not very far from the truth considering what a POS Eisner is.
Old 06-19-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's coming.
Old 06-19-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by screamncream
It seems that Disney has released all their movies on dvd except for the classic Bambi
... and the other dozens and dozens of films that they haven't released yet. It's far from the only one.
Old 06-19-03, 01:03 PM
Suspended

Come on.. you're all forgetting the much anticipated release of Bambi: the Matrix where Bambi does a spectacular slow action move slipping, sliding, and falling down on the ice.
Old 06-19-03, 01:40 PM
Cool New Member

From dvdfile.com (May 5, 2003):

Platinum push - 10:43am

Big news from The Walt Disney Co. Speaking to a meeting of investors, CEO Michael Eisner announced late last week that the company will accelerate the release schedule for its much-vaulted Platinum Collection line of of animated classics, each a limited two-disc set. Previously planned as a one-a-year cycle with a swift trip to moratorium status, Disney will now up the rate to two a year beginning in 2004, and the availability period for each title will be stretched to up to two years. Only two Platinum titles have been released so far, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and last fall's Beauty and the Beast, with The Lion King due this October. Starting in 2004, a new Platinum title will be released in March and October, with the remaining titles making their way to stores within four years: 101 Dalmatians, Aladdin, Bambi, Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Lady and the Tramp and Pinocchio. Eisner indicated during the conference that the move was in part due to the belief at Disney that HD-DVD will have a firm foothold sooner rather than later, thus allowing for the reintroduction (yep!) of a Platinum line, HD-style. Also announced was the abandonment of the Vault Disney label. While the popular collection will continue - upcoming two-disc catalog releases include 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and The Love Bug - it will do so without the Vault Disney tag proper. Intriguing...
Old 06-19-03, 02:42 PM
Banned

There are still a few (not dozens, and dozens) of Disney animated classics that have never been released on DVD. Bambi, Cinderella, Aladin, etc.
Old 06-19-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Pants
(not dozens, and dozens)
I wasn't assuming that he was talking exclusively about animated films (he said "all their movies"). Especially since he mentioned "Song of the South", which is mostly live action.
Old 06-19-03, 10:51 PM
Banned

do you think they'll release a Bambi: Extreme Edition?
Old 06-19-03, 10:53 PM
X
Administrator

Mmm, venison.
Old 06-19-03, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This Bambi thread is just a cover to get a coversation going about SOTS.

Old 06-20-03, 07:23 AM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm suprised no one made a joke referencing the episode of The Young Ones where they met bambi and he admitted to filming a video nasty.
Old 06-20-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by duz
I'm suprised no one made a joke referencing the episode of The Young Ones where they met bambi and he admitted to filming a video nasty.
Well, I hadn't gotten to, Bambi XXIII-Stud on Acid, yet.
Old 06-20-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like peanuts.
Old 06-20-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

any chance that disney will release an unmodified version? i have the LD from a few years back, and seem to recall that disney edited out the firestarting scene?
Old 06-20-03, 11:10 AM
Banned

Originally posted by darmok
any chance that disney will release an unmodified version? i have the LD from a few years back, and seem to recall that disney edited out the firestarting scene?
They did?! I'll have to check mine, but I don't think that's true.