Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

No Widescreen For Gator And White Lighting?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-03, 01:05 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is wrong With MGM? They wait this long to release these titles, and this is what we get? FORGET IT!!! I want these bad, but not this bad! No enhanced 16:9. No sale!
Old 06-19-03, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both were released as a double bill LD from MGM a long time ago, and both were widescreen! I am so pissed I sold my LD of it!
Old 06-19-03, 07:07 AM

That sucks! First Fright Night 2 and now this crap!
Old 06-19-03, 07:42 AM

Is there a reason for this decision? Why does a studio decide to release most of its catalog titles in widescreen, but then for no good reason release another in full frame? Does anyone have an answer for this?
Old 06-19-03, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
I was really looking forward to these also... no sale here...
Old 06-19-03, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Drive-In Nut
Is there a reason for this decision? Why does a studio decide to release most of its catalog titles in widescreen, but then for no good reason release another in full frame? Does anyone have an answer for this?
Simple...they think the audience for this type of flick WANTS a pan and scan transfer. In other words, they're saying that if you like a movie like GATOR then you must not be discerning enough to know about the advantages of a widescreen transfer. So how do we tell MGM that they're wrong? Complain, long and loud!

Not buying the disk alone won't work, as that will just reinforce their belief that the movie was only going to sell to people who want P/S releases, anyway. You must let them know WHY you are not buying the disk. So, start sending those complaint e-mails and let them know that we want ALL of their releases in widescreen!

Mind you, this won't get WL and GATOR re-released in widescreen; it's too late for that. But maybe it will make them think twice before they decide that the audience for certain types of flicks doesn't care if it's in widescreen or not...
Old 06-19-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by d2cheer
I was really looking forward to these also... no sale here...
ditto...I really wanted these done right.
Old 06-20-03, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by CrumpsBrother
Simple...they think the audience for this type of flick WANTS a pan and scan transfer. In other words, they're saying that if you like a movie like GATOR then you must not be discerning enough to know about the advantages of a widescreen transfer. So how do we tell MGM that they're wrong? Complain, long and loud!

Not buying the disk alone won't work, as that will just reinforce their belief that the movie was only going to sell to people who want P/S releases, anyway. You must let them know WHY you are not buying the disk. So, start sending those complaint e-mails and let them know that we want ALL of their releases in widescreen!

Mind you, this won't get WL and GATOR re-released in widescreen; it's too late for that. But maybe it will make them think twice before they decide that the audience for certain types of flicks doesn't care if it's in widescreen or not...
Uh, sorry to break it to you, but my WS laser of WHITE LIGHTNING were hard matte, meaning the DVD is a open matte presentation, not pan and scan, and I remember comparing one of them to my old VHS and there was no new image gained, you lost the top and bottom (alot of it). So no image lost. The WS laserdisc ooked like a Super 35mm filming/framing, but not sure if that processed existed then. I dont remember about GATOR though.

It is odd that MGM didnt use the LD master, cosidering thats what they have done in the past for Charles bronson movies.

Another classic that MGM pissed on was BANK SHOT, that was shot widescreen panavision, but they released it pan and scan, yet they would release a shot on video film like BREEDERS widescreen. Very odd.

Last edited by salamander2; 06-20-03 at 04:08 AM.