Samurai Trilogy(Mifune) any good???

Old 06-17-03, 06:58 PM

Samurai Trilogy(Mifune) any good???

thumbs up or down??
Old 06-17-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A must own if you have any interest in the genre. After Seven Samurai, it's my favorite Mifune performance. You get to watch the character grow over the 3 films & watching Mifune perform this is just amazing & what an ending. I don't think the DVDs have any extras, but you probably will not find a better transfer of the movies right now.
Old 06-17-03, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Sessa17

A must own if you have any interest in the genre. After Seven Samurai, it's my favorite Mifune performance. You get to watch the character grow over the 3 films & watching Mifune perform this is just amazing & what an ending. I don't think the DVDs have any extras, but you probably will not find a better transfer of the movies right now.
thank you sir
Old 06-17-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to have to give them a thumbs down.

Don't expect a technical review about the cinamatography, character development, directing or anything like that.

I simply couldn't get into them. I think I made it through about 1/2 the second DVD before giving up.

Perhaps if I made it all the way through, I would have had a better reaction.
Old 06-17-03, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by waskydiver

Don't expect a technical review about the cinamatography, character development, directing or anything like that.

I simply couldn't get into them. I think I made it through about 1/2 the second DVD before giving up.

This is exactly what happened to me, I barely finished the second film. I would recommend that you rent them if you have NetFlix. Otherwise, try to do some more research before you invest in them.
Old 06-17-03, 09:10 PM

I loved it. It does get a little slow at spots, but it is well worth watching.
Old 06-17-03, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked them, but I'm a fan of Samurai films... Not quite Kurosawa Samurai quality, but worth a watch.

Also this needs moved to the MOIVE TALK forum.
Old 06-17-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One other thing I want to say besides my glowing review of the DVDs/movies, since some negative onces popped up.

The movie is a pure, foreign, samurai movie w/ brilliant performances, brilliant duels, & a tremendous story. But it is not modern in any way & does not contain a lot of the contemporary themes that Kurosawa samurai movies do. So if you are not a fan of samurai movies & don't like foreign movies, this movie will not change your mind.

And I don't see why this needs to be moves to the movie forum, when the thead about Ed Norton in Frida does not. I commented on the DVD itself.
Old 06-17-03, 09:32 PM

If you are into the genre (or Mifune) you'll probably like them. If you are so-so about samurai movies I suggest renting them first (I'm pretty sure Netflix has them). They can be slow at times but overall I found them to be enjoyable.
Old 06-17-03, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by waskydiver

Same here. I love Kurosawa films and I consider myself a Mufune fan, but I just couldn't get into these at all. We actually both gave up at about the same point.

These aren't bad films, but I would definitely rent first. These were a blind buy for me since I was 99% sure I'd love them... but they've found their way into the eBay pile...
Old 06-17-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by bboisvert
Same here. I love Kurosawa films and I consider myself a Mufune fan, but I just couldn't get into these at all. We actually both gave up at about the same point.

These aren't bad films, but I would definitely rent first. These were a blind buy for me since I was 99% sure I'd love them... but they've found their way into the eBay pile...
Oh really? I'd be willing to buy...off ebay
Old 06-18-03, 12:27 AM

Read the book, then you'll love the trilogy.
Old 06-18-03, 09:13 AM

Inagaki's SAMURAI TRILOGY is good but for my taste a bit too long. His SAMURAI BANNERS and CHUSHINGURA are both superior to the trilogy -- more focused efforts with a tighter dramatic structure. BANNERS is one of the best chambara films ever made, imho.

The second film of the TRILOGY can be particularly difficult since it essentially involves the Mifune character repeatedly getting duped and frustrated. BTW: I recommend NOT watching them in close succession. Take anywhere from a day to a week (or more) between each of the three films.

Nevertheless the TRILOGY has its rewards. It features some of Mifune's very best work (especially in the opening film). And, like all Inagaki's films, they feature some absolutely stunning color visuals. If you're a big fan of either Mifune or the chambara genre, these films are a must-see -- even though they require some patience.
Old 06-18-03, 12:39 PM
Banned

I give them and a big recomendation

Even if you end up not liking the films you will be happy you saw them, because of the beautiful technicolor. Since so many samuai flicks were b&w it's great to see one that exploits all the color of the scenery and the detailed kimonos.

I suggest people stick with the trilogy because, unlike the trend in many American film trilogies, the third installment is quite possibly the best.
Old 06-18-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
Oh really? I'd be willing to buy...off ebay
Your attbi e-mail address is refusing e-mail from my Yahoo address.

My messages are bouncing back with "does not like recipient" and "not our customer" errors... if you have an alternate e-mail, just send me a note. Thanks!
Old 06-18-03, 04:23 PM

Mifune is wicked - and so is this series. Thumbs up I say
Old 06-18-03, 06:16 PM

This is a good film series, but don't expect an "action series" just because it's about Samurai. My advice is to rent it first.
Old 06-18-03, 07:51 PM

In my opinion, this is the best samuraii movie series out there on the market on DVD. If you like Kurosawa and Mifune this is a hands down must buy. These 3 DVD's are 3 of the most treasured DVD's in my collection.
Old 06-19-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by SilverScreen
In my opinion, this is the best samuraii movie series out there on the market on DVD. If you like Kurosawa and Mifune this is a hands down must buy. These 3 DVD's are 3 of the most treasured DVD's in my collection.
What does liking Kurosawa, have anything to do w/ liking the Samurai Trilogy?
Old 06-19-03, 12:16 PM

Where can I get a copy of SAMURAI BANNERS?
Old 06-19-03, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by Sessa17

I agree. I don't think one has anything to do with the other. I love Kurosawa, I don't like the Samurai Trilogy at all.
Old 06-19-03, 04:19 PM
Defunct Account

Wow, I am really suprised by the negative reviews. I LOVED them. I saw all three in three days, and was wishing there was a fourth at the end.

-Videophile
Old 06-19-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sasakikojiro
Where can I get a copy of SAMURAI BANNERS?
I've got it on LASERDISC!!! The folks at AnimEgo released it, so hopefully they'll eventually put it out on DVD!
Old 06-20-03, 03:09 AM

LOL, I meant to say Inagaki... sorry I have Kurosawa on the brain. If he has seen Chushingura it would help his decision.

My bad
Old 10-16-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So how does the Crietrion edition compare to the cheaper now out of print version from Taiwan?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.