wrestlemania? royal rumble?

 
Old 06-16-03, 08:55 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: L.A.
Posts: 74
wrestlemania? royal rumble?

Is there anymore news about a possible DVD Box set or regular DVD release of Wrestlemanias I - XIV? Possibly to commemorate Wrestlemania 20 next year? I'm tired of fastforwarding through all the crappy matches on my old tapes that I've watched to death. And what about all the old Royal Rumbles? Are those just gone forever? They're too cool to just be forgotten and decaying on old VHS tapes! And there were even some old Survivor Series and Summerslams that were awesome too! Someone's gotta raid the old Coliseum Video vaults and put these things out. Save the old WWF PPVS! Or maybe there could be a classic wrestling channel, like ESPN Classic or the Classic Sports Network, where they rebroadcast old awesome matches from WWF, ECW, WCW, NWA, etc. But more importantly, any DVD news on any of this????
Thoseidiots is offline  
Old 06-16-03, 09:02 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Louisville
Posts: 7,595
I doubt you'll see anything significant out of the WWE back catalog for a while. I think as part of the stipulations they are having with the World Wildlife Foundation right now, they have to edit out their old logo out of near-everything (or something like that, can someone tell me otherwise?)

That said, most of the stuff from the Attitude era ('97 or so) is out on DVD, as I have Wrestlemanias 17 and 18 on DVD.
DGibFen is offline  
Old 06-16-03, 09:12 PM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: L.A.
Posts: 74
Let me just say, the World Wildlife Foundation SUCKS. They should have been GLAD people were getting them mixed up with the WWF, because that's more free publicity than they could EVER get! The two WWFs coexisted for years and now all of a sudden they sued. I think there should be a law that if you don't sue someone for having the same name after a certain amount of time, you can't sue at all.
Thoseidiots is offline  
Old 06-16-03, 09:25 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,934
Originally posted by DGibFen
I doubt you'll see anything significant out of the WWE back catalog for a while. I think as part of the stipulations they are having with the World Wildlife Foundation right now, they have to edit out their old logo out of near-everything (or something like that, can someone tell me otherwise?).
Well in all the extras of current DVDs they didnít censor the logo.

As for the annoyance of VHS tapes, why not transfer them to DVD. Sure itís not as nice as an authentic DVD, but it sure as hell is nicer than VHS tapes.
Class316 is offline  
Old 06-16-03, 10:29 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 487
All they need to blur is the scratch logo.
Erik68 is offline  
Old 06-16-03, 10:47 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Louisville
Posts: 7,595
Originally posted by Thoseidiots
Let me just say, the World Wildlife Foundation SUCKS. They should have been GLAD people were getting them mixed up with the WWF, because that's more free publicity than they could EVER get! The two WWFs coexisted for years and now all of a sudden they sued. I think there should be a law that if you don't sue someone for having the same name after a certain amount of time, you can't sue at all.
For the record, the World Wildlife Foundation was the WWF long before the WWE/F came into existance. I believed the World Wildlife Foundation and the WWE/F had a deal where the WWE could use the moniker WWF as long as they remained a domestic company (only in America). AFter the late
90s when the WWE became an internationally known company, the World Wildlife Foundation sued over use of the WWF moniker. Rather than fight it, they changed their name to the WWE. But because the World Wildlife Foundation wants more money (or something silly like that) they are suing for products such as video games and other WWE merchandise that retained the WWF moniker after the WWE name change.

Whew.

If you want to read an article talking about the whole ordeal, World Magazine recently covered it here. under the title "Protection Money". (Note: you'll have to register). There are some politics in the article, but it's an interesting look at the situation.

A quick quote:
"Apparently the environmentalists think the public would confuse a group devoted to saving pachyderms with a group devoted to smashing chairs over people's heads."

Last edited by DGibFen; 06-16-03 at 10:55 PM.
DGibFen is offline  
Old 06-16-03, 10:52 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Louisville
Posts: 7,595
Getting back on topic, the WWE has a DVD that has the best of matches from Wrestlemania's 1-15, including Hogan Vs. Andre The Giant, Austin vs. Michaels, etc.

There is also a book on the history of Wrestlemania that has a retrospective DVD with footage from each Wrestlemania leading up to (I think) 17 or 18. I've seen both, I'd recommend both to tide the pallet until the WWE decides to release all of the Wrestlemania's on DVD. If enough fans wanted it, I'm sure the WWE would look into it.
DGibFen is offline  
Old 06-16-03, 10:54 PM
  #8  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: L.A.
Posts: 74
< 90s when the WWE became an internationally known company, the World Wildlife Foundation sued over use of the WWF moniker. Rather than fight it, they changed their name to the WWE. But because the World Wildlife Foundation wants more money (or something silly like that) they are suing for products such as video games and other WWE merchandise that retained the WWF moniker after the WWE name change.>>

To quote the great Arnold Schwarzenegger, "does this munch weenie or what?" Its amazing that the group devoted to saving the wildlife of this planet comes off as bigger a$$holes than Vince McMahon.
Thoseidiots is offline  
Old 06-17-03, 02:05 AM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 91
Originally posted by DGibFen
I doubt you'll see anything significant out of the WWE back catalog for a while. I think as part of the stipulations they are having with the World Wildlife Foundation right now, they have to edit out their old logo out of near-everything (or something like that, can someone tell me otherwise?)

That said, most of the stuff from the Attitude era ('97 or so) is out on DVD, as I have Wrestlemanias 17 and 18 on DVD.
If you have the Wrestlemania 19 DVD, during the promo for the Rock vs Austin match, the show some scemes from their earlier confrontations. It can be clearly scene that they blurred out the WWF scratch logo in the scenes that they showed.

I hope all the save the animal freaks are happy
kthemmes is offline  
Old 06-17-03, 02:33 AM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ
Posts: 68
The newer name, WWE, is just as abitrary an acronym as WWF was. What's the big deal? Plus, think of all the free publicity both groups got out of the name change. Furthermore, professional wrestling is fake so what does it matter if there's an "F" censored out of the banner on the side of the ring during an old clip of a Stone Cold Stunner?
molecularman is offline  
Old 06-17-03, 03:21 AM
  #11  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: L.A.
Posts: 74
Funny how so many people put down wrestling for masquerading as a sport, yet almost every time you turn on Raw or Smackdown, there are athletes in the stands. Not to mention Wrestlemania 2, which had the giant battle royal with wrestlers and NFL players (which reminds me of my original point, bring the wrestlemanias to DVD!), or whichever wrestlemania it was where LT fought Bam Bam Bigelow, or when Mike Tyson refereed Austin vs. HBK
Thoseidiots is offline  
Old 06-17-03, 08:08 AM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 244
Man, that would be one expensive DVD set. I would definatly buy it though. Wrestlemania is always great. Surprised they havent released a DVD box set already.
GmoneyOwnsYou is offline  
Old 06-17-03, 09:00 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,934
Originally posted by kthemmes
If you have the Wrestlemania 19 DVD, during the promo for the Rock vs Austin match, the show some scemes from their earlier confrontations. It can be clearly scene that they blurred out the WWF scratch logo in the scenes that they showed.

I hope all the save the animal freaks are happy
Yes but that was during the actual show which was also censored on the PPV. But in the extras with old matches they never censored the logo.

For example, did they censor the logos in the matches on the Shawn Michaels DVD?
Class316 is offline  
Old 06-17-03, 12:37 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
tonymontana313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,746
oh man, that would truly suck if they blurred out logos on the shawn michaels dvd. Does anybody know when the wwf scratch logo was in place because the scratch logo is the only one that has to be replaced. Any news on the next wrestler of the Back from the Vault dvd series?
tonymontana313 is offline  
Old 06-17-03, 01:16 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bremerton WA
Posts: 5,628
The side of the Wrestlemania DVD looks like a part of a two though. If you've seen it the toop 2/3 are the right half of a two and it says wrestlemania 19 below it in small letters. Looks to me like it could be part of a box set.
Nesbit is offline  
Old 06-17-03, 01:47 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,743
Originally posted by Mrs.Nesbit
The side of the Wrestlemania DVD looks like a part of a two though. If you've seen it the toop 2/3 are the right half of a two and it says wrestlemania 19 below it in small letters. Looks to me like it could be part of a box set.

Yes, its part of the box set but not for Wrestlemanias. Inside each 2003 WWE PPV DVD, theres an offer to get a free storage case. After buying all 12 WWE PPV DVD's for 2003, put them in order in the storage case and the spine ofs each individual DVD makes a "picture" with 2003 written across-with pictures of certain wrestlers imposed in the numbers.

(Now I'm not sure if you have to include say the proof of purchase for each DVD to get the storage case-thus you can't order it until 2004! or you only need to send one in to get the storage case-thus you could order it right now.)

LB...
LaxBandit is offline  
Old 06-17-03, 03:21 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,934
Originally posted by tonymontana313
oh man, that would truly suck if they blurred out logos on the shawn michaels dvd. Does anybody know when the wwf scratch logo was in place because the scratch logo is the only one that has to be replaced. Any news on the next wrestler of the Back from the Vault dvd series?
These "Back from the Vault" series suck. They're not doing them right!
Class316 is offline  
Old 06-17-03, 05:34 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bremerton WA
Posts: 5,628
Originally posted by LaxBandit
Yes, its part of the box set but not for Wrestlemanias. Inside each 2003 WWE PPV DVD, theres an offer to get a free storage case. After buying all 12 WWE PPV DVD's for 2003, put them in order in the storage case and the spine ofs each individual DVD makes a "picture" with 2003 written across-with pictures of certain wrestlers imposed in the numbers.

(Now I'm not sure if you have to include say the proof of purchase for each DVD to get the storage case-thus you can't order it until 2004! or you only need to send one in to get the storage case-thus you could order it right now.)

LB...
Wow. I can't imagine anyone wanting all 12 pay per views from this year. I did it for a while a few years ago but quickly stoped as I realised there was many I'd never watch more than once.
Nesbit is offline  
Old 06-17-03, 08:09 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 844
You can add my name to the list of people desperately wanting any/all of the Coliseum Home Video vault on dvd. It seems ironic that a company like the WWE which is so quick to market anything possible (see: toys, video games, books) has not brought many of these titles to dvd already.
wordtoyamotha is offline  
Old 06-25-03, 10:46 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,743
Originally posted by LaxBandit
Yes, its part of the box set but not for Wrestlemanias. Inside each 2003 WWE PPV DVD, theres an offer to get a free storage case. After buying all 12 WWE PPV DVD's for 2003, put them in order in the storage case and the spine ofs each individual DVD makes a "picture" with 2003 written across-with pictures of certain wrestlers imposed in the numbers.

(Now I'm not sure if you have to include say the proof of purchase for each DVD to get the storage case-thus you can't order it until 2004! or you only need to send one in to get the storage case-thus you could order it right now.)

LB...
Update: I received the Wrestlemania XIX DVD in the mail the other day and they had the ad for the free storage case. To get the case you have to buy all 12 2003 DVD's as you must include all 12 of the proof of purchases which are on the "ad" that is located in each DVD. Thus you won't be able to order this storage case until say March 2004 or whenever Armageddon is released.
LaxBandit is offline  
Old 06-25-03, 11:07 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 24,168
Just line them up without the case, spines will still spell out "2002"
GuessWho is offline  
Old 06-25-03, 12:19 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,743
Originally posted by GuessWho
Just line them up without the case, spines will still spell out "2002"
So if you put the DVDs in order in the storage case, it spells out "2003"
but if you line them up on a shelf without the storage case, it spells out "2002" See you have to get the storage box as it has powers that makes the spines spell out "2003" rather than "2002" (I know ya meant 2003!)

Yea, I know you can line them up without the storage box. Just that if you plan on getting all the DVD's anyway, why not send away for the storage box.

LB..
LaxBandit is offline  
Old 06-25-03, 12:40 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,263
Also, with starting with 14 and up, we will have to deal with the digital blurring.
Rypro 525 is offline  
Old 06-25-03, 03:14 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manch Vegas, NH
Posts: 8,219
I have also seen them blur the old, old yellow WWF logo, not just the scratch logo.
Music is offline  
Old 06-25-03, 03:53 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,934
Originally posted by Rypro 525
Also, with starting with 14 and up, we will have to deal with the digital blurring.
There is still no proof that anything relating to DVDs would be censored.

Originally posted by Mr. Music
I have also seen them blur the old, old yellow WWF logo, not just the scratch logo.
exactly!
Class316 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.