Commentary Tracks with the Cinematographer?

Old 06-16-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Commentary Tracks with the Cinematographer?

Many times something I love to analyze in a film is the cinematography, hence commentary tracks would be a logical thing to look for. . .but they don't seem that common.
Anyway, I was just wondering if there were any DVDs with commentary tracks by the Director of Photography.
Old 06-16-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not exactly high art, but the Charlies Angels disc has a commentary with McG and Russel Carpenter, who was D.P. and I believe an Academy Award winner for Titanic. It's actually a great commentary, albeit dominated by McG, but I went in to it wanting to hate his guts and he won me over, and went out of his way to praise Carpenter, and he gives him ample room to explain his ideas, motivations as well as problems and motivations in photographing the picture. I"m in agreement though, I would like to see the D.P.'s get more love. It's too bad we couldn't get D.P., art director and the editor all together, even if for one combo track on most film releases.
Old 06-16-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glengarry Glen Ross has a selected-scenes commentary from the DP. Unfortunately, it plays over the pan & scan edition of the movie on Disc 2. D'oh!
Old 06-16-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Some notables:

Haskell Wexler - Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Roger Deakins - the upcoming special edition of Fargo and there's a long interview with him on The Man Who Wasn't There.
Matthew Libatique - Requiem for a Dream
Ernest Dickerson (with others) - Do the Right Thing

Last edited by William Fuld; 06-16-03 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-16-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"In this scene, I tried to get a shot that looked good."

Repeat to yourself everytime the scene changes.

Voila! Instant cinematographer commentary!
Old 06-16-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The great Michael Ballhaus commentates on his first great work of cinematographic brilliance: RW Fassbinder's "WHITY".

This anamorphically-enhanced DVD not only features the Ballhaus yak-track (with Fassbinder regular, Ulle Lommel), but is also technically worthy of Ballhaus' work. IMO, two years after it's release, this DVD is still a reference quality transfer for 70s art cinema. Very highly recommended.
Old 06-16-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On the American Beauty DVD, director Sam Mendes discusses the photography aspect quite a bit in his commentary track, and is joined by DP Conrad Hall for commentary on the extended storyboard feature.

Also, check out Medium Cool directed by (and of course, photographed by) Academy Award winning cinematographer Haskell Wexler, who does a great commentary track. He also participated in the commentary track for In The Heat Of The Night, and is the sole commentator for Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf.
Old 06-16-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I forgot to mention, there is a very interesting featurette on the Criterion "Rashomon", discussing the 2 or 3 D.P.'s Kurosawa used in his Mifune years. And included are clips from what was apparently an hour long Japanese documentary on Kurosawa's shooters that was incredibly engrossing in snippets, and I'd really love to track down as a whole piece. Maybe Criterion can get some rights to it and slap it an upcoming Kurosawa release, or release a version of the "Kurosawa" documentary from a year or three ago and combine the Cinematographer documentary as sort of a catch all extras disc on A.K.
Old 06-16-03, 03:15 PM

The ones that come to mind are

Charlie's Angels
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Old 06-16-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is a good feature on Barry Sonnenfeld on the Miller's Crossing DVD.
Old 06-16-03, 06:29 PM

The great Vilmos Zsigmond on the surprisingly good THE SADIST.
Old 06-16-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by GuessWho
"In this scene, I tried to get a shot that looked good."

Repeat to yourself everytime the scene changes.

Voila! Instant cinematographer commentary!
Shallow but still .
Old 06-16-03, 07:07 PM

Artisan's Requiem for a Dream has a commentary track by DP Matthew Libatique.

Criterion's release of Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing includes a commentary with DP Ernest Dickerson.

Criterion's George Washington (David Gordon Green/2000) includes a commentary with Green and DP Tim Orr.

Fox's available-by-mail-in-offer-only Sunrise (1927) has a great commentary by cinematographer John Bailey (though he was obviously not the DP on this film; Karl Struss died in 1981, at the age of 95). Highly recommended.

For a good academic commentary on camera technique, check out Marian Keane on Criterion's issue of Hitchcock's The 39 Steps (1935).
Old 06-16-03, 07:23 PM

The late Conrad L. Hall is one of the participants on the Incubus commentary track.

DJ
Old 06-16-03, 08:31 PM
Cool New Member

I find commentary tracks worthless. They seem to barely care about what they are saying. It would be better to have a Mystery Science Theater 3k type of track IMO, or in some other languages like Swahili for fun.
Old 06-16-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Peter Suchitzsky:

Dead Ringers CC
eXistenZ (Canadian version)
Old 06-16-03, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by Singhal
I find commentary tracks worthless. They seem to barely care about what they are saying. It would be better to have a Mystery Science Theater 3k type of track IMO, or in some other languages like Swahili for fun.
That's my favorite cinematographer commentary track, too! Thanks for contributing!

DJ
Old 06-16-03, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by inri222
Peter Suschitzsky:

Dead Ringers CC
eXistenZ (Canadian version)
His father and fellow D.P., Wolfgang Suschitzky, is on the Get Carter track.
Old 06-16-03, 08:54 PM
Cool New Member

djtoell, sorry my lordship for expressing my thoughts w/o your consent - breath in, breath out, say to yourself "it's just a point of view" lol
Old 06-16-03, 09:02 PM

djtoell, sorry my lordship for expressing my thoughts w/o your consent - breath in, breath out, say to yourself "it's just a point of view" lol
Another great cinematographer commentary! Thanks again!

BTW, Steven Soderbergh was his own DP for Traffic, Full Frontal, Ocean's Eleven, and Solaris, so his commentaries on those DVDs would presumably count, too.

DJ
Old 06-16-03, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by FilmFanSea

For a good academic commentary on camera technique, check out Marian Keane on Criterion's issue of Hitchcock's The 39 Steps (1935).
The Ebert track on Citizen Kane also is very informative as to camera techniques.
Old 06-17-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Perhaps your "thoughts" would have been better recieved had they actually been funny, your apparent intent. If you don't like commentaries, fine. But don't come and mess up this thread.
Old 06-17-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not nearly as worthless as a threadcrap.