wonder boys edited for dvd?

Old 06-15-03, 06:06 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

wonder boys edited for dvd?

i had watched this movie the first time i got it, when it came out.
i just watched it again recently and i noticed that there was a note before the movie started that it was edited for content and changed from the theatrical version. okay i am dying to know what was changed? i thank you in advance. i have searched the posts but nothing comes up. thanks again
Old 06-15-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

From the IMDb:

In the theatrical version Tobey Maguire mistakenly refers to Alan Ladd's death as a suicide. After complaints from Ladd's family, Paramount removed the offending line in all future releases of the film, including home video. VHS and DVD releases carry a disclaimer, shown before the feature, warning that the film has been edited for content.
It also names an instance where profanity was removed.
Old 06-15-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was actually changed for the theaters, too. Wonder Boys came out, did poorly at the box office, and was rereleased a few months later (in Autumn, I believe) for an Oscar push (which, unfortunately, didn't work), and to take in a few more bucks.

Between the first and second release, though, the estate of Alan Ladd, mentioned when James recites the suicides of famous actors and actresses (at the book week reception), threatened suit when Ladd's name was listed among the suicides, because Ladd's death was and still is listed as "accidental." Hanson or Paramount or both wanted to avoid a potentially messy suit, so they just edited Ladd's name out of the film.

Not really a big edit, and the disclaimer is so cryptic that it makes the viewer think that the film is radically edited.

I also remember reading, at the time of the 2nd theatrical release, that some of the "strong language" was overdubbed for the 2nd theatrical and home video/dvd release. Someone else may be able to fill you (and me) in on the exact changes. I'm not really sure.

Hope I helped.
Old 06-15-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's in the bit where Tobey Maguire reels off a list of suicides at the start. He mentions Allan Ladd in that list but because it was never proven that he killed himself and the family complained, it was edited out by Paramount.

It's a very superficial and minor change that in no way affects the plot. I doubt we will ever see the original version anyway.

Fantastic film btw

EDIT - Trust me to post at the same time as Jesus
Old 06-15-03, 06:28 PM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

In the scene where Toby is rattling off a list of famous suicides, Alan Ladd was among the list in the original release. It was edited to avoid litigation from the Ladd family. I believe his death was accidental and not a suicide.
Old 06-15-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 06-15-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since no-one's mentioned it yet, there's a bit where Tobey Maguire lists a ton of famous suicides. He includes Alan Ladd, whose estate complained about it and so Paramount edited it out.
Old 06-15-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Since no-one's mentioned it yet, there's a bit where Tobey Maguire lists a ton of famous suicides. He includes Alan Ladd, whose estate complained about it and so Paramount edited it out.
Did you read the thread?
Old 06-15-03, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

During one scene of the movie, Maguire mentions Alan Lad---

Sorry, it's not funny anymore... espically considering this is all on the imdb.
Old 06-15-03, 11:33 PM

Don't let them fool you with this Alan Ladd nonsense! They cut a three-way between Maguire, Downey, and Douglas. It wasn't graphic, but it was the reason the film had such poor box-office.
Old 06-15-03, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Did you read the thread?

hahah. sarcasm is never understood by all.
Old 06-16-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Irony? Oh, yeah. I remember that. I stopped using it a few years ago. I was tired of being stared at." - C.D. Bales (Steve Martin) in Roxanne.
Old 06-16-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't let them fool you with this Alan Ladd nonsense! They cut a three-way between Maguire, Downey, and Douglas. It wasn't graphic, but it was the reason the film had such poor box-office.
And Alan Ladd's suicide...
Old 06-16-03, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
So that's what the title means!
Old 06-16-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BizRodian
And Alan Ladd's suicide...
I think you mean "Alan Ladd's accidental death"
Old 06-16-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

During the three way? I guess it could happen... but I like my idea beter.
Old 06-16-03, 05:12 PM

The ironic thing is that most people who watch this movie probably wouldn't know who Alan Ladd was, but now he will forever be known as "that dude who didn't kill himself".