It's a Crime These Haven't Been Released Yet

Old 06-15-03, 12:43 AM

It's a Crime These Haven't Been Released Yet

It really is a shame that so many great classic films have yet to be released on DVD. It seems the studios are putting out tons of second and third rate flicks, but are neglecting films that really make up so much of Hollywood history. I realize it's a financial game, first and foremost, but there has to be a market for some of the following titles.

If anyone has any info regarding some of these, please let me know.

This is my wish list...

1. "WINGS" (1927); not only a classic silent movie, but the first to win the Best Picture Academy Award.
2. "THE JAZZ SINGER" (1928); ground-breaking film in that it was the very first to incorporate a new process called "sound."
3. "BROADWAY MELODY" (1928); a Best Picture Oscar winner.
4. "CIMARRON" (1930); Best Picture winner.
5. "GRAND HOTEL" (1931); ditto.
6. "CAVALCADE" (1932); ditto.
7. "DUCK SOUP" (1933); many consider this the funniest film ever. A Mark Bros. classic.
8. "MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY" (1935); original. Also a Best Picture winner.
9. "TOP HAT" (1935); Many consider this the finest hour for Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.
10."THE GREAT ZIEGFELD" (1936); Best Picture winner.
11."THE LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA" (1937); ditto.
12."BRINGING UP BABY" (1938); one of the most beloved of all screwball comedies.
13."WUTHERING HEIGHTS" (1939); Laurence Olivier original.
14."THE GRAPES OF WRATH" (1940); a crime against nature that this is not yet on DVD. One of the ten best films ever made.
15."MRS. MINIVER" (1942); Best Picture winner.
16."MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS" (1944); Judy Garland Christmas classic.
17."AFRICAN QUEEN" (1951); Bogart/Hepburn adventure romance is one of the most popular films of the 50s. Why not on DVD yet?
18."THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH" (1952); Best Picture winner.
19."DIAL M FOR MURDER" (1954); most Hitchcock gems are on DVD. Why not this one?
20."AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS" (1956); All-star Best Picture winner.
21."DIARY OF ANNE FRANK" (1959); one of the most moving and powerful films ever. Stunning that it's not out yet.
22."THE INNOCENTS" (1961); Classic ghost story with Deborah Kerr.
23."THE EMIGRANTS" (1972); Monumental Swedish with Max Von Sydow and Liv Ullmann that actually got a Best Picture nomination. Rare for a foregin film. I haven't even seen this out on VHS, much less DVD.
24."ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE" (1974); A Martin Scorsese picture that won Ellen Burstyn the Best Actress Oscar that also was basis for one of 1970's most popular sitcoms ("Alice").
25."A BOY AND HIS DOG" (1975); cool sci-fi with Don Johnson (of all people).
26."LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR" (1977); What a great cast: Diane Keaton, Richard Gere, Tom Berenger, Richard Kiley, Tuesday Weld. Really captures 70s swinging lifestyles.
27."RESURRECTION" (1980); Ellen Burstyn (again) is magnificent in little-seen gem about faith healing. One of the most overlooked films of the past 25 years.
28."FANNY AND ALEXANDER" (1983); Ingmar Bergman's masterpiece of family life. Considered one of the 80's best films. Where is it???
29."COCOON" (1985); C'mon, Ron Howard. Next to "A Beautiful Mind," this is the best film you ever made.
30."ALIENS" (1986); why is this not available. I know it was once. Are they re-releasing it soon in yet another special edition?
31."SHORT CUTS" (1993); Robert Altman's great anthology about L.A. life. Everything he's done is on DVD, why not this?
32."ED WOOD" (1994); this was scheduled last summer, then pulled. Anyone know what happened to Tim Burton's best film ever?
33."BABE" (1995); I have wanted this for my nephews on DVD for the longest time. I'd like them to have it before they start high school, fer Chrissakes!

And that's it. Sorry about being so long-winded. Let me know.
Old 06-15-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As for Aliens. OH YEAH, it's being re-released big time!
Old 06-15-03, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

more than a few of those you listed are in the works...be paitent. I'm more worried about the my favs which I never hear any news about...like After Hours, The Other('72), They All laughed and The Driver....among about 50 others. good luck in your wait and search for info.
Old 06-15-03, 06:47 AM
Cool New Member

Re: It's a Crime These Haven't Been Released Yet

1. "WINGS" (1927); not only a classic silent movie, but the first to win the Best Picture Academy Award.
Released in Japan (have it). I think it's also in the works for R1 (Paramount?).
5. "GRAND HOTEL" (1931); ditto.
Released in Japan (have it).
9. "TOP HAT" (1935); Many consider this the finest hour for Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.
Released in France R2 (look at Amazon.fr or any other French store)
12."BRINGING UP BABY" (1938); one of the most beloved of all screwball comedies.
Released in France R2
29."COCOON" (1985); C'mon, Ron Howard. Next to "A Beautiful Mind," this is the best film you ever made.
Released in R2 -- I have it.
32."ED WOOD" (1994); this was scheduled last summer, then pulled. Anyone know what happened to Tim Burton's best film ever?
You probably already know... a loaded SE is out in R2.

I
Old 06-15-03, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Tarnower
31."SHORT CUTS" (1993); Robert Altman's great anthology about L.A. life. Everything he's done is on DVD, why not this?
Sadly, not even close to everything he's done is on DVD...

DJ
Old 06-15-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

the gang movies of the 30's
public enemy
little ceaser
Old 06-15-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gutwrencher
more than a few of those you listed are in the works...be paitent. I'm more worried about the my favs which I never hear any news about...like After Hours, The Other('72), They All laughed and The Driver....among about 50 others. good luck in your wait and search for info.
Yeah, I've been dying for After Hours. I have a feeling when we do get it, it will be a low-extras affair ala King of Comedy. Oh well, anything would be nice at this point. My VHS copy is threadbare.
Old 06-15-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have Cocoon as well. Shame they didn't do a double pack with Cocoon: The Return

I'm dying for After Hours as well, my VHS copy is 4:3. I did hear a rumour of a Scorcese box set with a new Goodfellas and After Hours inside...
Old 06-15-03, 09:43 AM

Wow. &nbsp Another person who wants They All Laughed. &nbsp I was beginning to think I was the only one.
Old 06-15-03, 10:16 AM

Re: Re: It's a Crime These Haven't Been Released Yet

Originally posted by ivantod
Released in Japan (have it). I think it's also in the works for R1 (Paramount?).
Released in Japan (have it).
Released in France R2 (look at Amazon.fr or any other French store)
Released in France R2
Released in R2 -- I have it.
You probably already know... a loaded SE is out in R2.

I
Thanks for the info. How do I find out about availability in other regions? I looked up all the titles on my list in so many sites, including Amazon, and got nothing. Also, do discs from other regions play in DVD players in America?
Old 06-15-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's great they are released everywhere but here in the USA. How about a little home cookin'?

By the way, King Kong: SE for R1 completely restored with Evil Spider Footage (hell make it up if it only exists in pictures) need to be on your list and Released tomorrow.

Oh yeah and St-

Nah, I won't do Lucas the pleasure.
Old 06-15-03, 12:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: It's a Crime These Haven't Been Released Yet

Thanks for the info. How do I find out about availability in other regions? I looked up all the titles on my list in so many sites, including Amazon, and got nothing. Also, do discs from other regions play in DVD players in America?
Lots of inormation for you here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/forumdi...=12&daysprune=
Old 06-15-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The original release of A Boy and His Dog fetches about $50 on eBay. It can be had but the bidding gets pretty fierce.
Old 06-15-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Deckard-10
Wow. &nbsp Another person who wants They All Laughed. &nbsp I was beginning to think I was the only one.
I've watched it 100 times and always laugh. and looking at Dorthy S. never hurts...she was sweet as hell....and it's so sad she's gone. I just realized that John Ritter is in 2 of the films I mentioned. he was hilarious in They All Laughed. what a cast!! very happy to hear you are a fan as well.
Old 06-15-03, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

33."BABE" (1995); I have wanted this for my nephews on DVD for the longest time. I'd like them to have it before they start high school, fer Chrissakes!
Well, this was released years ago, but it's still a crime because it was pan and scan only. It also came in a jewel case.
Old 06-15-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Adventures of Ford Fairlane
Under the Cherry Moon

'nuff said.....
Old 06-15-03, 10:12 PM

I've watched it 100 times and always laugh. and looking at Dorthy S. never hurts...she was sweet as hell....and it's so sad she's gone. I just realized that John Ritter is in 2 of the films I mentioned. he was hilarious in They All Laughed. what a cast!! very happy to hear you are a fan as well.
100% agree with everything you said. &nbsp ...and Dorothy really was a sweetheart, on screen and off. &nbsp It's a shame we'll never get to see anything more from her.
Old 06-15-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What was the deal with Grapes of Wrath anyway? Was supposed to be the Fox classic for June, but got replaced. I figure they should have most of the work done by now, so I'd think it would come out soon.
Old 06-16-03, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jericho
What was the deal with Grapes of Wrath anyway? Was supposed to be the Fox classic for June, but got replaced. I figure they should have most of the work done by now, so I'd think it would come out soon.
They found a better print so they're going to do the transfer from that instead.
Old 06-16-03, 03:51 AM
Cool New Member

Re: Re: Re: It's a Crime These Haven't Been Released Yet

I guess you could try searching for the titles that you are interested in on european retailers' pages. I'm pretty sure that amazon.de and amazon.fr will accept an english title in the search field and find the corresponding dvd even if its French/German title is different.

As for Japanese editions I can't help there (unless you know enough Japanese to search through amazon.co.jp )... the ones I have I bought when I was in Tokyo (as an aside, you would not believe the number of classic movies that are available there but unreleased anywhere else in the world--not only American movies but also French, Swedish and even obscure Russian stuff. I was completely amazed by the choice, except of course the DVD prices are not exactly user friendly over there).

To answer the second question, all dvds that I have listed in my previous post are Region 2. European ones are also PAL while Japanese are NTSC. So they would not play in american DVD players unless they have been 'hacked' and have PAL/NTSC conversion for European dvds.

I
Old 06-17-03, 06:22 PM

By the way, King Kong: SE for R1 completely restored with Evil Spider Footage (hell make it up if it only exists in pictures) need to be on your list and Released tomorrow.

You are very right on "King Kong." I completely forgot about this landmark film. I am adding to my list this instant. Looking forward to the 2004 DVD release of this great, great film.
Old 06-18-03, 01:01 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I'm still waiting for "The Dark Backward" to arrive on DVD. When? WHEN?!?!?!?!?

Dang, it's got Judd Nelson, Bill Paxton, Lara Flynn Boyle, Wayne Newton - it's a classic fercryinoutloud.

-- Jough
Old 06-18-03, 02:42 AM

I heard a rumor that the original 1977, 1980, and 1983 Star Wars Trilogy films have not been officially released to DVD yet. Nor have the 1997 "Special Edition" re-releases of these movies.

Anybody here waiting on those?

"The African Queen" and "Around the World in 80 Days" may be coming in 2004. They're definitely being worked on.
Old 06-18-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...erm... fwiw Lucas has said on several occasions that those highly desirable "original" SW films will never - repeat: never - be released on DVD... I rather tend to believe this to be true, seeing as how much these originals (including their titles!) have been fiddled around with ("Special Edition") - and for all we know may/will (definitely?!?) undergo further fiddling as digital technology improves...

. . . . . .
Old 06-18-03, 09:58 AM

...erm... fwiw Lucas has said on several occasions that those highly desirable "original" SW films will never - repeat: never - be released on DVD...
In my mind, THAT'S A CRIME, which is why I broached that subject in this thread.

It's also amazing to me, though, that Lucas "doesn't have time" to work on the 1997 "Special Edition" iterations of these movies for DVD; even though they've been released to VHS and LD twice (in '97 and 2000). The 2000 release to overseas LD was especially laughable since at that time there were already ten times the number of DVD player owners worldwide as there were LD owners.

Just for the record, the original Star Wars Trilogy has been released to VHS 4 times, CED one time, and LD four times.

The 1997 iterations of these movies have been released twice to VHS and LD and once to VCD. (That's right! In 2000 there was an official release of these movies to overseas VCD! It was advertised over there as the first digital video release of the movies!)

And yet, here we are in the year 2003, seven years into the DVD format, still waiting for the first release of these movies to the format.

And knowing full well that we'll be "lucky" to get them in late 2006 and/or early 2007 (which is the 30th Anniversary of the first Star Wars movie). And that, when they do finally arrive, they probably won't be in any form that most of us will recognize!

Now, that's a crime!!!!!

Oh well: At least I can console myself by throwing "Raiders" into the player. Oh, wait! That won't be released to DVD until November 4!!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.