how do you get those security stickers off?

Old 06-13-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

how do you get those security stickers off?

damn i hate those. half the time they come off pretty easy but its still a pain, but the other half i cant get them off cleanly. it sucks.

and how are they 'security' anyways? friggin clear tape is all it is. isnt the shrink wrap enough packaging?

any tips to make this less sucky?
Old 06-13-03, 04:20 PM

i take a razor knife lightly down the center of the case, in the groove where the two sides of the case meet. it cuts the stickers in half and if you peel them from the cut outward they will come off easier. and if you accidently cut the case its down in the seam so you can't see it.
Old 06-13-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was just complaining about that yesterday because I ruined the clear plastic cover on a dvd I tried to open. The security tape is a pain, but it could be so much worse. Go buy a Barbie to see how bad it can really get.

tasha
Old 06-13-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

very carefully! I agree with the above statement that cutting the sticker down the middle makes it much easier to remove and not inflict damage onto the case.
Old 06-13-03, 06:19 PM
Rest in Peace

Sorry your all wrong on one thing

The security ofthe DVD is in a strip of the same color of the case, under it it has a magnetized metal strip. At the purchase counter when you go places like Wal-Mart they *demagnitize* the magnetic strip.

Your all talking about the plastic strip that peals off ease, as long as you respect what your using. Best that works for me is a single edge *razor* blade bought in 10 packs at hard ward stores.

Using a single edge you can get near horizonal edge underneath, then peal in full length over the top, that's all there is; just a walk in the park!

P.S Razor retractible knife wouldn't do as good a job as what was said above.
Old 06-13-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Have you tried boiling it?
Old 06-13-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by William Fuld
Have you tried boiling it?

PS - YEEHAW! This post makes me a Special Edition
Old 06-13-03, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by imp66

PS - YEEHAW! This post makes me a Special Edition
Congrats!! I still need like 300 to go but at about 1 post a day it'll take me almost another year.

Oh yeah and those black security strip inside the case, one time when I was really bored i opened all my cases and removed them. but now im too lazy i just leave it there, doesnt bother me.
Old 06-13-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In Canada they always put the security seal on the edges of the casing so it's never a problem removing them and it doesn't damage the front/back cover??..

WTF is going on in the U.S??
Old 06-13-03, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by shanester
In Canada they always put the security seal on the edges of the casing so it's never a problem removing them and it doesn't damage the front/back cover??..

WTF is going on in the U.S??
same thing here, but some are trickier to get off than others. and sometimes the sticker comes off and leaves a residue on the clear plastic of the case.

if you get that on the case after the sticker comes off i'd recommend picking up some Goo Gone. i picked some up at walmart and it works wonders. dip a Q-Tip and thats all you need. but if you do that its a good idea to remove the paper cover insert. wipe it with a wet paper towel, let dry, and you're problem is solved.
Old 06-13-03, 09:29 PM

What I want to know is, why do they have to put those stickers on all three sides? Isn't one side good enough?
Old 06-13-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jason1973
What I want to know is, why do they have to put those stickers on all three sides? Isn't one side good enough?
I know, they cut corners by making crappy covers why not save a few hundredth's of a cent and lose the other 2. That's gotta add up.
Old 06-13-03, 10:35 PM

they just want to make it as hard as possible to crack into the case in-store. a lot of people looking to lift dvds aren't interested in the case so they just pop open the case and snag the disc. the longer it takes to get the dvd out the better chance someone will see it being done. i think its a good idea and the second and third stickers don't bother me any.
Old 06-13-03, 10:35 PM
Suspended

Well, it's pretty much a guarantee to you that the DVD has not been re-wrapped for whatever reason--at least if it is a Paramount DVD (others you won't know). I don't know of anyone who re-wraps their DVDs with stickers on all 3 corners.

OMG, I just got promoted to "Gold".
Old 06-13-03, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
see ya there in about 7 weeks.
Old 06-13-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fingernail! That simple.
Old 06-13-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DVD Polizei

well, i prefer to take out the "l", but even after over three dozen title changes, i still have yet to reach that point.

anyway, back on topic, i just peel them off occasionally, but i rarely ever do it since it doesn't bother me.
Old 06-13-03, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by tasha99
I was just complaining about that yesterday because I ruined the clear plastic cover on a dvd I tried to open.
My copy of Die Another Day had 3 security strips on the keep case and two, small round security stickers on the slipcase. &nbsp Talk about overkill. &nbsp The clear plastic cover wasn't in the greatest of shape after I got done cutting and peeling all that.
Old 06-14-03, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: how do you get those security stickers off?

Originally posted by atari2600
damn i hate those. half the time they come off pretty easy but its still a pain, but the other half i cant get them off cleanly.
Let me guess - the ones that don't come off cleanly (assuming you mean "in one piece") are the side stickers on Warner Bros discs? Look closely at one next time, and you'll see why it doesn't come off in one piece.

There's nothing quite like wasting 30 minutes of your day unwrapping a stack of discs you've just brought home, is there?

Oh, for those of you who have some glue residue left behind by a sticker - just take the sticker, press it down on the residue, and lift. Do it a few times until the residue is gone. It's really that simple. (Don't do it on snappers or other cardboard though.)
Old 06-14-03, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: how do you get those security stickers off?

Originally posted by shill66
There's nothing quite like wasting 30 minutes of your day unwrapping a stack of discs you've just brought home, is there?
No doubt.. I got an order the other day from DDD of like 35 discs, plus a couple from BB that day, and we're looking at about ~2 hours to open them all, take off all the stickers, and the security stickers inside, and enter them into dvdprofiler.

How many people are anal enough to take off all the little black security stickers inside the case? It's fairly non-obtrusive, but it bothers the hell out of me.

Shagrath
Old 06-14-03, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Re: Re: Re: how do you get those security stickers off?

Originally posted by Shagrath
How many people are anal enough to take off all the little black security stickers inside the case? It's fairly non-obtrusive, but it bothers the hell out of me.
Ha! Same here.
Old 06-14-03, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Re: Re: how do you get those security stickers off?

Originally posted by Shagrath
No doubt.. I got an order the other day from DDD of like 35 discs, plus a couple from BB that day, and we're looking at about ~2 hours to open them all, take off all the stickers, and the security stickers inside, and enter them into dvdprofiler.

Shagrath
Bugs me. I hate the ones that are inside a digipack that is clear. You can see em, but not get to them. Sex and the City is a good example...
Old 06-14-03, 12:18 PM

I use a surgical scalpel with replaceable blades I CAREFULLY slit each seal length wise at the case seam and it comes off easy in two pieces
Old 06-14-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

sometimes i dont open dvds right away and wait until i watch them (hence i have some dvds from months ago still unopened). those seem to be harder. the stickers dont come off well and its all sticky underneath after you remove it. i hate that.
Old 06-14-03, 07:04 PM

My better half worked a video store, she suggested that I use a blow dryer when I bought some dvd's from Blockbuster with their annoying little red stickers on them. Worked great!!!!!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.