Community
Search

Stargate UE is really good

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Stargate UE is really good

I have to say the video transfer is indeed as good as stated by DVD Talk Review. I hesitated to upgrade to this version because like many others, I have my history with getting too many of them. However, the Anamorphic version is much much better than the 1:1.85 ratio.
Old 06-11-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Stargate UE is really good

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
I have to say the video transfer is indeed as good as stated by DVD Talk Review. I hesitated to upgrade to this version because like many others, I have my history with getting too many of them. However, the Anamorphic version is much much better than the 1:1.85 ratio.
Interesting Aspect ratio.... never heard of it. I am sure you meant 1:85.1 . Anyway, from the bits and pieces I watched of the UE edition, I have to agree the picture is very good. The sound is tremendous as well.
Old 06-11-03, 06:05 PM

Re: Re: Stargate UE is really good

Originally posted by Bill Geiger
Interesting Aspect ratio.... never heard of it. I am sure you meant 1:85.1
Interesting Aspect ratio.... never heard of it. I am sure you meant 1.85:1 . Sorry, couldn't resist
Old 06-11-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't picked this one up yet as I already have the Special Edition from way back when, but I saw that the price tag is 14.99 now, so I might just pick this up and let the neighbors get a load of the lfe.
Old 06-11-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ok, you guys confused me now. 1.85:1 is what I meant.
Old 06-11-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No. No it is not. Sound and picture quality does not a picture make.
Old 06-11-03, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
I haven't picked this one up yet as I already have the Special Edition from way back when, but I saw that the price tag is 14.99 now,
When I purchased this at BB last week, T2 and SG for $25, there is a $5 upgrade mail in rebate for current SG Special Edition owners.
Old 06-11-03, 09:05 PM
Rest in Peace

Come on over to my place and you'll thik your Dr. Danie Jackson on theatrical at chapter 16 I have a Stargate ride you will never experience it like that ever again. I besides having Dolby Surround in headphones have te sound married to a ratshack op oputting 2000 millisecond s of reverberation and 100 times the depth of any Dolby Decoder in this century.

A 46 second ride you will never forget, just like the hundreds who have gone thru it, I got my idea from Brainstorm, Total Recall, ST:TOS with a light up in the ceiling episode. I had to wait for technology to be invented then I went to work and by 1998 2 years before 2YK I had it finished for friends, friendly UPS and mail carriers and sound engineers. They all tried to stop a smirk when I handed them the headphones, I then proceeded to wipe that smirk into 100% Awe of what my system could do.

Some said I will write out a blank check right now for the schematics and a test set. Most of you think I just a dumb truck driver, but did you ever read my asking for 'audio' advice on anything?

In 1994 Home Theater Magazine ran an article by columnist Brent Butterworth. e-mail [email protected]. Today I have 7 of these lined up for every device that has sound. 1994 was the last year of paying disturbing the peace fines. Headphones used Denon AHD-750 with 20 Ohm impedance, not even here at the old folks and disabled apartmets, will anyone know what is going on even at 3AM!

Last edited by danol; 06-11-03 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-11-03, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by danol
Last edited by danol on 06-11-03 at 07:11 PM
Why bother?
Old 06-12-03, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Commander Dan
Why bother?

I know. I lost my decoder ring..now I can never read Danol's posts
Old 06-12-03, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

These posts posts by danol have gone beyond quaint and into the absurd. Yikes!
Old 06-12-03, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Kids: Don't sniff cans of air. It may be fun for a while, but then people can't understand what you say. So, if the monkey says, "I've never had a soda that tasted that good," you should really shop at K-Mart, because my car has a flat tire, and my girlfriend says that fish eggs shouldn't be deep fried.
Old 06-12-03, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Kids: Don't sniff cans of air. It may be fun for a while, but then people can't understand what you say. So, if the monkey says, "I've never had a soda that tasted that good," you should really shop at K-Mart, because my car has a flat tire, and my girlfriend says that fish eggs shouldn't be deep fried.
And yet, goat-flavored Top Ramen is still not delivering on the high-definition standard.

Hang on. Salvador Dali's at the door with a jar of pickled eggs and the shot-for-shot remake of a test pattern.
Old 06-12-03, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by darkflounder
Hang on. Salvador Dali's at the door with a jar of pickled eggs and the shot-for-shot remake of a test pattern.
That remake doesn't hold a parrifin wax candle to the original, with it's eye-slicing scene highly reminiscent of a 1950's Cadillac. Perhaps you should organize a peace treaty with the snails that threaten our waterworks with mass marketing and kitten-flavoured cheese. After which you should breathe easily & rapidly while falling into the ceiling disguised as a radiant tarpit of terror. Snoochie bootchie p'tang yang kipperbang 1 + 1 available in 2.55:1 OAR blown up to anamorphic.

Danol posted... within 28 Days, everyone fell to the infection...
Old 06-12-03, 04:46 AM

That remake doesn't hold a parrifin wax candle to the original, with it's eye-slicing scene highly reminiscent of a 1950's Cadillac. Perhaps you should organize a peace treaty with the snails that threaten our waterworks with mass marketing and kitten-flavoured cheese. After which you should breathe easily & rapidly while falling into the ceiling disguised as a radiant tarpit of terror. Snoochie bootchie p'tang yang kipperbang 1 + 1 available in 2.55:1 OAR blown up to anamorphic.

Old 06-12-03, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Stargate UE is really good

Originally posted by digitalmanAZ
Interesting Aspect ratio.... never heard of it. I am sure you meant 1.85:1 . Sorry, couldn't resist
No problem.... was quick on the draw and ended up shooting myself in the ass..lol
Old 06-12-03, 07:21 AM

Back to the original topic of Stargate: Ultimate Edition, I'm holding out for the Stargate: Extreme Edition, which will be encoded in Ultra High Definition, but will only be playable in an actual stargate. None the less, we will all buy it, just so we have it.
Old 06-12-03, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really like the UE release. Yeah the transfer has some grain but it's an old movie and it's not distracting. Otherwise the transfer is excellent and the DTS 6.1 track is out of this world! Comes with a sexy gold slipcover too

P.S. What is Danol even trying to say???
Old 06-12-03, 09:59 AM

Back to the original topic of Stargate: Ultimate Edition, I'm holding out for the Stargate: Extreme Edition, which will be encoded in Ultra High Definition, but will only be playable in an actual stargate. None the less, we will all buy it, just so we have it.
And won't we all be PISSED when the metal cover rips up the DVD case inside!
Old 06-12-03, 02:50 PM

I watched this again last night and noticed that near the end of the movie, just as the caravan is entering the pyramid, the sound in DTS drops out for a half a second. It didn't do this in DD5.1.

Anyone else notice this?
Old 06-12-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

masetodd,

Hmmm. This gives me another reason to watch this movie again.
Old 06-12-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

masetodd,

Hmmm. This gives me another reason to watch this movie again.
I got this on the release date and it's still on my "To Watch" list.
Old 06-12-03, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, to TRULY bring this thread back on topic (sorry mine's not original...but then again, just because I don't recognize any of your gibberish doesn't mean you made it up, you creative bastards):

"Spring is here again, tender age in bloom, he knows not what it means, sell the kids for food, we can have some more. The water is so yellow, I'm a healthy student, you're my vitamins. Take your time, hurry up, the choice is yours, don't be late. And just maybe I'm to blame for all I've ever heard but I'm not sure, I'm so excited I can't wait to meet you there but I don't care. I don't care if it's old, I don't mind if I don't if I don't have a mind, get away from your home. Have to have poison skin, give an inch take a smile. NEver met a wise man, if so it's a woman, gotta find a way to find a way, I had better wait. One more special message to go, as defense I'm neutered and spayed, what the hell am I trying to say? I got so high that I scratched till I bled. The second coming came in last and out of the closet. At the end of the rainbow and your rope. Don't hurt yourself, I want some help to help myself, she's just as bored as me. I've got this friend you see, who makes me feel, I don't regret a thing. And the animals I've trapped have all become my pets. Our little group has always been and always will until the end, with the lights out it's less dangerous, here we are now, entertain us, I feel stupid and contagious, here we are now entertain us, a mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido, yay, yay, a denial, I'm worse at what I do best and for this gift I feel blessed, I found it hard, it was hard to find, oh well, whatever, nevermind.

LAFF!!
Old 06-13-03, 07:12 AM
Banned

This transfer is an enermous step up from the EE-infested atrocities the previous two DVD releases of Stargate were.

Unfortunately, there's still a bit of EE but at the price, if you're not still burned about Artisan ripping you off twice already this is a must buy.
Old 06-13-03, 06:59 PM

Rebate info

I saw the SE version with the $5 refund for existing Stargate DVD owners but have yet to buy it. What must you send in as proof of purchase of the older DVD? I looked through the original booklet and didn't see any proof of purchase mark on it or anywhere on the case cover. I surely don't have the original receipt for it either.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.