Where is Young Sherlock Holmes?

Old 06-11-03, 11:24 AM

Where is Young Sherlock Holmes?

I read that this was being worked on well over a year ago. Does anyone have any current info on when this film will be released?

I would love to have an isolated track of Bruce Broughton's score and deleted scenes if any are available. A commentary with Chris Columbus and Barry Levinson would also be great.
Old 06-11-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yet another old favorite of mine. Definitely something I would pick up. Current info would be great.
Old 10-20-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

*Bump!*

Okay . . . so this DVD is slated to be released on December 2, 2003 (according to Amazon and the "Release Updates" thread). Apart from it being widescreen, does anyone know any more details on the release? Couldn't find anything . . .
Old 10-21-03, 01:15 AM

It's going to be barebones. It's a $14.99 MSRP.
Old 10-21-03, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cinephan
It's going to be barebones. It's a $14.99 MSRP.
That sucks . . . they could have at least done a feature on the special effects . . . I know I've seen something about the stained-glass knight somewhere before. A little background on Sherlock Holmes and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would've been nice, too.
Old 10-21-03, 05:16 AM

I can remember a day when we were all chastising Paramount for having that no-budge $29.99 SRP. At that time people were assuring Martin Blythe that they'd be happy with just the movie, if only they could get that damn price down. Well, here we are, getting great new transfers, with no extras or inserts, for fifteen bucks, which traslates to under ten at many retails and online sites. And a 2-disc special edition of ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST will be out there for about fifteen. Paramount has listened to us. Movies like DRAGONSLAYER, while they are to die for for many of us fans, will not sell in sufficient numbers to warrant special edition treatment. I would love to have trailers for DRAGONSLAYER and YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES, but I will be the last to gripe about their absense when I'm paying so little for quality product that, had they belonged to other studios, might not be getting released at all. I say, Thank You, Paramount. You heard, you responded, and we benefit.
Old 10-21-03, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dick
I can remember a day when we were all chastising Paramount for having that no-budge $29.99 SRP. At that time people were assuring Martin Blythe that they'd be happy with just the movie, if only they could get that damn price down. Well, here we are, getting great new transfers, with no extras or inserts, for fifteen bucks, which traslates to under ten at many retails and online sites. And a 2-disc special edition of ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST will be out there for about fifteen. Paramount has listened to us. Movies like DRAGONSLAYER, while they are to die for for many of us fans, will not sell in sufficient numbers to warrant special edition treatment. I would love to have trailers for DRAGONSLAYER and YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES, but I will be the last to gripe about their absense when I'm paying so little for quality product that, had they belonged to other studios, might not be getting released at all. I say, Thank You, Paramount. You heard, you responded, and we benefit.
I'd rather see them boost the price $5 to $10 and give us some extras. Other studios release movies for $19.99 (Retail) and load them up with bonus features.

Besides, some of these bare bones releases DESERVE extras. It doesn't bother me that Black Sunday doesn't come with extras, but something like Young Sherlock Holmes and Dragonslayer should. If you don't want to create new material for the disc, at least give us the theatrical trailer and some text info and bios. Even Warners does that on their bare bones releases.
Old 10-21-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
I'd rather see them boost the price $5 to $10 and give us some extras. Other studios release movies for $19.99 (Retail) and load them up with bonus features.

Besides, some of these bare bones releases DESERVE extras. It doesn't bother me that Black Sunday doesn't come with extras, but something like Young Sherlock Holmes and Dragonslayer should. If you don't want to create new material for the disc, at least give us the theatrical trailer and some text info and bios. Even Warners does that on their bare bones releases.
I whole-heartedly agree with this. I am ecstatic about the release of Dragonslayer and have had a pre-order for it at DDD for quite sometime, but I am still rather dissapointed at the almost disrespectful lack of attention Paramount gave it. It had a seminal position in the Fantasy movie genre . . . the equivalent of what Tron was to the Sci-Fi genre. Tron got a superb 20th aniversary collector's edition and Dragonslayer deserves no less.

While Young Sherlock Holmes didn't make the same impact on an overall genre, it did pioneer some of the most advanced special effects of the time, including the first completely CG character to be used in a movie. In my mind, this accomplishment deserves more attention than a bare bones release. They could have at least scrounged ogether some of the already-existing specials that I know are out there (having seen them at some point before on TV).

So, while I am one of those "to die for for many of us" fans, and am very excited to have these two DVD's available, I am still dissapointed in how the releases were handled. I'd have definately paid more to see it done otherwise.