Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Once upon a Time in China - new version???

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-03, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this on DVDReview:

Columbia TriStar debuts Once Upon a Time in China

June 5, 2003
China's been infected with a plague known as the Western world, and Wong Fei-Hung refuses to stand by and watch as his country is decimated by foreign forces. A martial arts expert, Wong collides with the foreigners, their influence and especially their firearms. Leading his misfit militia, Wong is determined to stop the immoral slave trade that serves the California gold fields. When his favorite aunt is kidnapped to be sold as a prostitute, Wong must battle his countrymen and the superior firepower of the slave traders, all for the very soul of traditional China.
Although not available separately, the trilogy comes together as a two disc set, each with an anamorphic widescreen transfer. Each film will contain both a Cantonese and a Mandarin soundtrack, (the audio on the three films will be presented in mono, Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.0 respectively.) No extra features will come with the set.
The trilogy will come with a suggested retail price of $27.95 and will arrive here on August 12.

I wonder if this is just a repackaging of the previous "fake anamorphic" trilogy box set, or if Columbia will do it right this time. Anyone know? I'm not holding my breath on this one.

David
Old 06-10-03, 05:04 PM

Unless they use HKL prints, I don't expect there will be any improvement.
Old 06-10-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i thought i heard that the HKL movies will be distributed in the US. that fake anamorphic version was horrible.
Old 06-10-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Originally posted by darmok
i thought i heard that the HKL movies will be distributed in the US. that fake anamorphic version was horrible.
Fox is distributing some HKL titles for R1, but since Columbia already has the US rights for the OUATIC series, we're stuck with these.

This new set sounds like a repackaging (kind of), removing the English language versions (no great loss), and the commentary track from the first film and then squeezing whats left onto 2 discs. So, I guess its at least a cheap enough way to get all 3 films if you aren't expecting too much.
Old 06-10-03, 06:07 PM

3 films on 2 discs? ick.
Old 06-10-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yup, I'm not getting this. The only one i have is number 1.
Old 06-11-03, 01:41 AM

mono? why mono?
i recall watching the first movie on laserdisc (when it first released back in 1991), that it was in Dolby Surround Sound!
Old 06-11-03, 02:31 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I heard that the first version has both the international and American theatrical cuts. What about this one?